[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Silovs was terrible. He gave up easy goals on shots we purposely give up. Guys then get out of position trying to prevent those shots. We get stretched out in the d zone. Silovs needs to hone his game in the A. Until Demko comes back we will see Lanky and Patara soon as our guys up. 

I get a sneaking suspicion Tolipoli will pass Silov’s by next season. 
‘He needs to figure out why he struggles with long shots so much. The other teams are getting a book on him and he is going to be seeing a steady stream of shots from distance. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

I really hate the dirty Flames. They're still pulling the same crap.

They were targeting Miller ALL game away from the play....like F off already. It was a clean hit and he paid his dues.

I hated that the guys let their foot off the gas. Can't let 4 unanswered goals in, but Silovs wasn't great. 

Lomberg's a goof.

LOVED JT's goal...with conviction. He wasn't going down without a fight (literally). Slap that puck right into the net.

Oh well, they got a point but I HATED that the Flames got the win. They're turds.

(My son told me not to yell at the game because I still really don't have my voice back. Um, I forgot)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

Was at the game. Building was buzzin during the first and then bam. Intermission hit. Other than Miller, Garland and Quinn. Not one Canuck played NHL calibre hockey. Didn’t look up the face off stats but the eye test was enough to guess the flames were probably 68-75%. 3 of the 6 goals were the results of a loss face off. Petey was brutal all night. Was not engaged at all. Fun game to be at but really need Demner ,Joshua  and Suter to roundup our lineup.  

Heinan JT BB6

DeBrusk Petey Sprong

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hogz Suter Sherwood 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

‘He needs to figure out why he struggles with long shots so much. The other teams are getting a book on him and he is going to be seeing a steady stream of shots from distance. 

Tocchet said in his post game presser that after period one our guys were ending up five to six feet away from where they were supposed to be on their d zone coverage. That’s coach speak protecting his goalie. We got stretched up trying to prevent shots we are planning to allow because we have no trust in the goalie. 

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Absolutely agree.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

EP will be fine.

Silovs will be fine.

Our primary focus this season isn't how we start but how we finish. That was the big takeaway from last season. 

Well, how we finished last year had a lot to do with how we started.

EP is not fine and will not be fine. You can put on rose colored glasses or try and sugar coat or even continue to discredit other posters who disagree with you, but none of that changes the fact that Petey has not been right for a long time.

2nd half of last season until now Petey has not been good. That's a fact.

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'll stand by what i said for the last 9 months.. EP Plays best when he have a playmaker on his line and not 2 shooters. there's no one to get him the puck so he's just resorted to a passer now and other team just zone in on him to take away his pass and he's neutralize.. debrusk and whoever else on his wings are not passer/playmaker.. EP played best when he was with kuzmenko and he did good even with goldobin who is a better passer than any of the guy he's playing with currently.. 

I agree and exactly what the issue is with EP.   I still say that even with Kuzmenko's lack of defensive skills, he was the perfect person to play with EP40 mainly because he can set up plays - not to mention "pop-in" 40 himself.  EP40 is need of a creative playmaker on his line and hopefully one of the new guys on his line turns out to be that guy - if not both.   Still very early and it will take time to see if they gel.  Fingers crossed!

27 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

The interesting thing is that not ALL of those were from distance. Half were in tight (Mantha, Hub, Zary) and could have been stopped. Sure our D broke down on all 3, but Arty has to save at least 1. 

Well that certainly was a First game of the season type deal.  I see a lot of people getting super down over the performance.  I would say watch the coaches post-game and try to keep an open optimistic mind for a few more games to see how it pans out. 

Was an obvious case of high emotion from the season opener that kind of crystalized in the first and then fell away completely at which point we were done by a harder working, hungrier team who had some fire from the injury in the first and a lot of young players looking to make a name for themselves. Whereas a lot of our players looked like they felt the job was done and already had one foot in the phili game. Classic game management fail which is still a weak spot for the team.

The D Zone coverage was hella bad - Arty isn't as bad as people are making out from the point shots, but then again he's not as good as Demmer. Lot of people were talking like we don't need him anymore, which I don't think is the case at all at this point. 

Could make a bunch of other points too, but on the back of that, it's not really worth the time. Give the coaches some time to drill the D Zone coverage and see how the next few games go before going full meltdown. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Was at the game. Building was buzzin during the first and then bam. Intermission hit. Other than Miller, Garland and Quinn. Not one Canuck played NHL calibre hockey. Didn’t look up the face off stats but the eye test was enough to guess the flames were probably 68-75%. 3 of the 6 goals were the results of a loss face off. Petey was brutal all night. Was not engaged at all. Fun game to be at but really need Demner ,Joshua  and Suter to roundup our lineup.  

Heinan JT BB6

DeBrusk Petey Sprong

Joshua Blueger Garland

Hogz Suter Sherwood 

Not too surprising performance given that most of the team did not "float" in more than 1 - possibly 2 - preseason "snooze fest games", so it was pretty well their first heart pumping in months and it showed + 1/3 of the team is new and it will take time for the dust to settle on the new lines/pairings.

• Cheers 1

We all tend to overreacting (including myself) because we have high expectations for this season. Yesterday's game was not us as at all and our team identity was missing. I expect them to bounce back next game with a much better defensive effort.

Petey and Silovs are my biggest worries. A lot of you guys already pointed out the obvious concerns so don't need to say more. 

• Like 1

I'm not concerned at all. Defense wasn't prioritized enough at camp. We have some new guys.

The scoring and the talent is there. 

It would have felt good to win. But we wouldn't have learned anything by steam rolling Calgary. Id rather get slapped by reality right now rather than a few games in. 

But what does suck is that it's guaranteed loss night vs Philly on Friday 

Edited by Blue

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The Weegar goal id blame him, the others I wouldn't.

This team should defend well enough that we don't need Demko to bail us out. Your up 4-1 the goalie wasn't the reason this was a loss.

It was and it wasn’t I mean Silovs has a GSA -4 on the night, that’s about as bad as it gets 

Just now, Devron said:

It was and it wasn’t I mean Silovs has a GSA -4 on the night, that’s about as bad as it gets 

He needs more experience, basically. Silovs going down to Abby once Demko is back is probably the best plan long term.

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Funny how much push back so many of us got in the offseason when we made the point that maybe paying Myers 3mil to play top 4 D wasn't actually a good thing. Could argue Soucy isn't top 4 either. Yet here we are.

I didn't think Soucy was the problem. Hronek seemed a little too casual. But then again so did a lot of other players.