[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He needs more experience, basically. Silovs going down to Abby once Demko is back is probably the best plan long term.

I agree and honestly I would have stated him too. He deserved the start but in the long run he needs another year in Abby 

• Like 1

I get it that we had to dial down the intensity after that first period.  Calgary was looking to turn it into a line brawl.  But we stopped skating, got sloppy in our coverage and thought we had it in the bag.  Not a good look and we were lucky to get a point out of it but it will keep us hungry and prevent overconfidence going forward.  It's still better than losing 6-0 and not showing up at all.

We better be ready for Philly:  they owned us last season.

10 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Does this loss mean we don’t make the playoffs?

Well, if they miss the playoffs by 1 point?

Canucks aren't going to win many games without a starting goaltender. Demko needs to get back quick. Hopefully Lankinen can do better than Silovs.

Petey might not ever live up to his contract IMO. The expectations are so high for him to produce and be superhuman. I'm not sure he takes it to another level under that pressure. He could've scored a goal last night, but decided to pass it at the last second, which killed the play. Petey needs to be the type of player that buries that puck. 

Where's Gonchar?  The D was bad. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

The positives

PP is lookin good

PK was pretty solid

All situations 

HDCF 14

HDCA 8

IMG_0849.png.0f600edf4be4cfb515c2024d61643f9e.png

5v5

HDCF 13

HDCS 6

IMG_0848.png.697ec1308fe7e03000c6a03a5e9a4e33.png

Raty 5/6 in the face off

Sprong scored

Heinen and DeBrusk picked up an apple

JT Miller is the fuckin man. 

Garland and Hoglander were pesky bastards and made the phlegms really have to work for the puck in their end

At least our players got on the board 

Laffs and Coilers got blanked

....Pretty colours.....

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Most he was screened on, we were standing around giving Calgary time. The Weegar one he should've had imo, the others you gotta defend better.

He wasn't the reason they lost.

Wasn't my point but he allowed 6 goals so, he was a significant part of the reason they lost.

6 minutes ago, Blue said:

Not really. We weren't shut out. We got the first goal. Spec teams was good. They trusted the system and got the game back to a tie. 

No we did suck. I’m not gonna cry about it. It is what it is. We got a point. We will be way better im sure. Sometimes you suck but most of the time we shouldn’t

It’s gonna be alright 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

I don't agree that Petey wasn't engaged...he threw some hits (although they only credited one) but his timing was just off. I saw him in there, battling/trying.

We were 53.8% in the dot.

Petey also likely stopped a goal on 2 seperate occasions with his defensive play. We aren't paying him 11 million to be god defensively, but it's part of it. He was engaged, he just looked off offensively for 2 periods, just like the rest of the team.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Most he was screened on, we were standing around giving Calgary time. The Weegar one he should've had imo, the others you gotta defend better.

He wasn't the reason they lost.

He was a good part of it though too. We're in big trouble if this is our goaltending level for any significant portion of the season. We'll be keeping our first and riding out the season if so.

Reminded of 2022-23 season yesterday.

Edited by Gawdzukes

40 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Petey might not ever live up to his contract IMO. 

Petey got an assist , drew a penalty and is on pace for 82 points. 

I guess everyone is going to have a cry unless he gets 4 points ?

• Upvote 1

It's probably been already said several times, but as disappointing as the loss was, the Canucks got a point thanks to some magic by Quinn Hughes and a perfect clapper from Millsy. It hurts to lose that point, but there are 81 games left. I'm not going to get too worked up about it.

For some perspective, the odds-on Cup favorite got pasted 6-0 in their own barn....

Silovs' issue with point shots is becoming a bit worrisome, however. He's dominant down low, but really struggles to find the puck through a screen. You could tell the Flames were shooting from anywhere last night and it worked out for them. I think the PK needs to adjust to that reality and make it more of a priority to deny the point shot.

Form the "if only" category, I would point to a couple of chances the Canucks had when the score was still 4-1. Petey had one of them and IIRC DeBrusk the other. Bot guys tried low percentage passes, when there was a clear shot available. Gotta stop trying to get on the highlight reel and be a little more selfish. If either of those chances ended up in the back of the net, I think we're looking at a different result.....even if the Canucks took their foot off the gas....

The Flames knew to shoot high over Silov's left shoulder all night.  Lots of work for the goalie coach to help him stay taller in the net even when he is on his knees.

Would also help if his defence moved guys out of the way so he had a chance to see the shots coming.  Loved Miller's slap shot goal to salvage a point.  Reminded me of Bobby Hull, Frank Mahovolich and others back in the 60's.  Yes, I am that old.

Just now, Blue said:

Petey got an assist , drew a penalty and is on pace for 82 points. 

I guess everyone is going to have a cry unless he gets 4 points ?

Just speaking for myself, but I'm not worried about Petey. He showed flashes of brilliance last night.....I just want to see him get a little more selfish....instead of trying to make that last, perfect pass, just blast away....

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Just speaking for myself, but I'm not worried about Petey. He showed flashes of brilliance last night.....I just want to see him get a little more selfish....instead of trying to make that last, perfect pass, just blast away....

I thought he had flashes too. But he's not really getting any credit for it. 

57 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Got a point, hopefully learned a lesson. Miller is a beast.

Man I hear you and it makes sense, however it is just too easy for players to say they have learned a lesson from a bad game or a mis-play. Until they prove it by not repeating a poor performance it is difficult to believe a lesson was actually learned. In other words they've got to walk the talk. We as fans can only hope.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

I thought he had flashes too. But he's not really getting any credit for it. 

Comes with the territory....and the big contract.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. People are upset because we blew a 3 goal lead, but Petey is way down the list of people to blame for that, IMHO....

Connor Mcdavid had ... no shots on goal last night and no points. But this market really seems to think that high ticket players just have an impact every night. 

Draisitle had no points also. The highest paid in the league 

Edited by Blue

4 minutes ago, Reg said:

Man I hear you and it makes sense, however it is just too easy for players to say they have learned a lesson from a bad game or a mis-play. Until they prove it by not repeating a poor performance it is difficult to believe a lesson was actually learned. In other words they've got to walk the talk. We as fans can only hope.

I'm confident they won't poop the bed again next game like this. They stopped skating after Miller fought. Hockey is weird, sometimes teams lose their legs. 

TBH I think if Lanky starts we win that game. 

7 hours ago, Pears said:

Not exactly the result I wanted to come home to BUT I'll pose you this

2010-11:

- Have training camp in Penticton

- Lose home/season opener 

- Make SCF

2024-25:

- Have training camp in Penticton

- Lose home/season opener

- ?

I believe in coincidences. 

We started the 2010-11 season with something like 2-3-1 in our first 5 games before we hit our stride in November.

We will see how this group adjusts.

Now that the heat of the moment frustration has worn off I must say it was a positive that they got their act together at any point even if it was only the last couple minutes of the game, I’d be much more worried if they never showed up again and just lost 6-4 in regulation, I’m still not happy though.

Either they need to split Deharnnais and Forbort and put one with Soucy and one with Myers for more mobility or they need to sit one of them and have someone like Juulsen or Brannstrom there instead someone who can move the puck out much better and not just get pinned in their own zone constantly. 

Pettersson still looks unmotivated, unfocused and honestly just lazy, not sure what to do about that other than maybe reunite the lotto line for a stretch and see if that gets him going? I know it’s risky because it basically makes us a one line team especially when we don’t have the Joshua-Blueger-Garland line but it might be worth trying. 

I knew the defence and goaltending was going to struggle to start out and it’s only one game but it honestly looked even worse than I expected. 

On the flip side Miller, Boeser and Hughes all looked like their old selves from last year or at least for the most part they did. 

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Connor Mcdavid had ... no shots on goal last night and no points. But this market really seems to think that high ticket players just have an impact every night. 

Draisitle had no points also. The highest paid in the league 

The issue is McDavid and Draisatl are pretty much guaranteed to put up 110+ points at around the same cap hit. Pettersson on the other hand looks like a shell of his former self. He looks slow, disengaged, and scared to shoot, which is how he pretty much ended the last half of last season / playoffs. Obviously it's only game one but from the eye test, I'm worried as most people are.

• Haha 1