[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It's a "Sissy" Point.  Nothing to be proud of.

Thing is though, the Flames were already celebrating the win and JT's late goal put them on notice. F you. We're not going to just roll over and die.

It was an important point...although two would've sent a much stronger message.

The Flames got away with a lot of clutching/grabbing and that "interference" call on us was a little ridiculous. Guys are constantly (cross) checking and shoving each other away from the front of the crease. Not sure why that one was isolated and penalized. Flames were running picks and that's called interference last I checked. But ... it is what it is. Shitty reffing's not to blame but I'm just kind of sick of it. Consistency matters. I think they try to even out the calls too much...if one team gets 10 penalties, that's on them. There's nothing "fair" about picking and choosing. (NOTE: not whining about the officiating but it's worth noting that it's still crap).

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

The issue is McDavid and Draisatl are pretty much guaranteed to put up 110+ points at around the same cap hit. Pettersson on the other hand looks like a shell of his former self. He looks slow, disengaged, and scared to shoot, which is how he pretty much ended the last half of last season / playoffs. Obviously it's only game one but from the eye test, I'm worried as most people are.

Its just not true that he was slow last night. And you are judging this all on one game , where he out produced Mcdrai combined , but then you're judging them over a whole season. 

He actually got points and drew a penalty. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Tocchet said in his post game presser that after period one our guys were ending up five to six feet away from where they were supposed to be on their d zone coverage. That’s coach speak protecting his goalie. We got stretched up trying to prevent shots we are planning to allow because we have no trust in the goalie. 

Canucks did not have many blocked shots and perhaps thought they would cruise to a win without too much commitment ,

Silvos got a great ovation of support at his introduction, but Silvos was not very good on shots up high or make any game robbing saves either, I think his expected goals for were under 2 , and he let 4 others that weren't expected by him (odd, they didn't even show the OT goal at the game)

• Cheers 1

I started to feel under the weather during the first intermission, ended up passing out in bed during the second period...
Lol wtf happened, we were looking so good...

Even Silovs looked great for the first half of the game, then those dastardly long shots got to him again; he really does need to start tracking better through the screen.

Crazy we lost with how dominant we looked out the gate. All lines were just coming in waves, and I was really liking the look of the forward group. But, as predicted, the defense is still the soft spot on the team. This will be addressed at some point, I'm sure. 

Oh well, one point ain't nuthin'. Captain Hughes was his usual self, JT had a big game. On to the next one! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I don't think anyone on the team really looked good. Miller tried to throw away the game numerous times. Bambi is a ghost when not getting obliterated by an open window. Silovs couldn't stop a beach ball. Entire blueline is big and slow. Season isn't lost, but that game was hard to watch after the 1st.

Hughes played awesome. Miller was a beast, still rusty in his passing but he had a Gordie Howe hattrick. Sherwood was moving well. Boeser was good getring 2 goals. Canucks just stopped playing after the 4th goal then woke up a bit when Lames scored the 5th goal to lead. Nothing to be worried about, Tocchet will fix it.

12 minutes ago, nergish said:

I started to feel under the weather during the first intermission, ended up passing out in bed during the second period...
Lol wtf happened, we were looking so good...

Even Silovs looked great for the first half of the game, then those dastardly long shots got to him again; he really does need to start tracking better through the screen.

Crazy we lost with how dominant we looked out the gate. All lines were just coming in waves, and I was really liking the look of the forward group. But, as predicted, the defense is still the soft spot on the team. This will be addressed at some point, I'm sure. 

Oh well, one point ain't nuthin'. Captain Hughes was his usual self, JT had a big game. On to the next one! 

Allvin needs to get a top 4D. Forbort and Deharnais on the same pairing is scary. 

16 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Bains called back up, at least he can make a play with the puck. Goodbye aman

Yeah i never got the infatuation with Aman. He does nothing well, not on offense or defense. Bains at least gets points or creates something on offense.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I get it that we had to dial down the intensity after that first period.  Calgary was looking to turn it into a line brawl.  But we stopped skating, got sloppy in our coverage and thought we had it in the bag.  Not a good look and we were lucky to get a point out of it but it will keep us hungry and prevent overconfidence going forward.  It's still better than losing 6-0 and not showing up at all.

We better be ready for Philly:  they owned us last season.

Actually we were unlucky the Flames scored 5 with some pretry weak shots. Canucks didnt think Silovs would be giving up long shots and did not block them.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

The positives

PP is lookin good

PK was pretty solid

All situations 

HDCF 14

HDCA 8

IMG_0849.png.0f600edf4be4cfb515c2024d61643f9e.png

5v5

HDCF 13

HDCS 6

IMG_0848.png.697ec1308fe7e03000c6a03a5e9a4e33.png

Raty 5/6 in the face off

Sprong scored

Heinen and DeBrusk picked up an apple

JT Miller is the fuckin man. 

Garland and Hoglander were pesky bastards and made the phlegms really have to work for the puck in their end

At least our players got on the board 

Laffs and Coilers got blanked

Just need to clean up the defensive play and Silovs has to be better. Not much to be worried about. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Nucker67 said:

Well, if they miss the playoffs by 1 point?

Canucks aren't going to win many games without a starting goaltender. Demko needs to get back quick. Hopefully Lankinen can do better than Silovs.

Petey might not ever live up to his contract IMO. The expectations are so high for him to produce and be superhuman. I'm not sure he takes it to another level under that pressure. He could've scored a goal last night, but decided to pass it at the last second, which killed the play. Petey needs to be the type of player that buries that puck. 

Where's Gonchar?  The D was bad. 

I agree with you regarding Petey's relatively high expectations given the contract - which I think may be difficult to attain,

I will watch closely how Petey performs though in close tight matches.  I much rather he contribute with game winning / tying goals than pad the stats in lop sided games.

Miller / Hughes were money last night with the blocked shot / quick outlet to secure the OT.  Would have been satisfied even if that was their only point of the game.  All about Ws for this team.

10 hours ago, Drakrami said:

He hasn't look dominant in 4-5 years now, dunno why people kid themselves. Controlling plays, dictating the game, he did that in his rookie year. 

He had a 100 point season two years ago where he got Selke votes as well.

He also had a great start to the beginning of last season.

• Cheers 3

Are we going to “ Mark Stone” Demko ? ,depending upon how many games he can play until his injury flares up again.I am not sure of the rules for ltir , but the thought crossed my mind. At least the league would see that loophole closed if we did.

• Cheers 1

Petey needs to hire a skating coach to teach him how to use his outside edges. The fact that hasn’t happened yet is concerning. Hughes needs to invite him to stay the summer and train with him next year.

13 minutes ago, Defcon1 said:

Actually we were unlucky the Flames scored 5 with some pretry weak shots. Canucks didnt think Silovs would be giving up long shots and did not block them.

Yes, Silovs had a weak game, no doubt.  But that doesn't change the fact, and it is a fact, that we took our foot off the gas after the first period.  Calgary wouldn't have got those weak shots in the first place if our play was up to snuff. 

Didn't like Sportsnet cutting into the game at the end of commercial breaks. That was more frustrating than the mediocre first game. Concerns about the D-corps and goaltending were realized last night. 

5 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Yes, Silovs had a weak game, no doubt.  But that doesn't change the fact, and it is a fact, that we took our foot off the gas after the first period.  Calgary wouldn't have got those weak shots in the first place if our play was up to snuff. 

Yeah and the play away from the puck was not good. Too much running around in our own zone. I still feel we need another top 4D. Forbort and Deharnais pairing is terrible.

I think last night was a good wake up call to the boys that what they accomplished last season is all last season, this is a new season and you have to re-establish your team's identity.

If I recall, there were games last season where we take a huge lead in the first and just sort of played passive hockey in the second and third period to close it out. Difference was, Demko was in net and he always stops the shots and prevent the other team to gain any momentum with his saves.

We have to learn how to play without having an elite level Vezina goalie in net. I believe this team have the personnel to succeed, but just like the old saying goes "You can have all the skills in the world, but when hardwork outwork the skill, hardwork comes out on top." That's exactly what happened to us last night.

We were winning in the first period not just because we have a more skilled line up, it's because we were outworking the Flames. We stopped doing that in the second and third period and that's why we lost.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Most of them very easily fixed. 
1st goal a cross ice pass picked up by a player coming from the penalty box and getting a free run. 
a few positional problems, and sometimes the puck was handled like a granate in our own zone. 
Tocchet didn't go wild at the following presser, but it was clear to see, he was pissed off...

Mainly the team took the foot off the pedal, when they came back for the 2nd period. 

yeah, after watching the game the best way to describe it was loose, and they needed to match CGYs work rate.  

I noticed early on even Hughes was a primary defender on 2 glorious scoring chances against (CGY could have been up 2-0).

All in all, attention to details and line up tweaks will definitely improve things.

Certain guys like Desharnais surprised me.  He is super quick/agile for a big guy.  A few times he pursued opponents in the D zone, disrupting play.  Canucks might have something there if they can round out his all around game.

Wasnt a fan of Sprong in pre season w EP/Debrusk, and seems like Tocchett wasnt in this game either.  Shades of Kuzmenko being a non-factor w/o the puck.  Forces Debrusk to work twice as hard and its going to burn him out, guaranteed.