[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  Petey looked fine out there, he was engaged and made some plays.  McBaby did fuck all yesterday but he gets a free pass because he's McBaby.  Too funny...

We all know what McDavid is capable of, and he's the reigning Conn Smythe winner for a reason. What did Petterson do in the playoffs? Absolutely nothing. It appears it may have transferred to this season based on his body language on the ice yesterday, but obviously it's only game one. The biggest difference is this version of Petey from the (latter half of last season until now) is far from what we know he's capable of. He looks slow with the puck, he's not shooting, not using his lethal one-timer, and is weak on his skates. Something is off with him.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Goose said:

I was thinking how having Dakota back is a big factor.  Canucks lacked that wall guy who can play physical when the temperature rises (like it did vs CGY).

I was wondering if plugging Joshua in w Debusk/Petey might work, but of course Garland/Bleugar/DJ is battle tested.

Suter isnt flashy but he’s dependable as hell and battles.

Im curious what they can do w Sprong.  He can skate, but how hard is he willing to work?  

Raty obviously is learning.  Once they can get him comfortable, D zone play will be better as well.  He has a ways to go.

Raty had a really invisible night. If he plays like that a couple more nights, I think they'll move him to the AHL once Suter is back.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

To me it feels like bad karma, where we laughed at the fact the Oilers got smoked meanwhile we blew a 3 goal lead after dominating a team that's not supposed to make playoffs 

We still got a point while they got blanked though, so worth 

Voodoo karma consequences for laughing at the Oil are consequences I'll happily accept 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Its more a familiarity thing; hopefully Des and Forbort come around. I still think the 3rd pair is an experiment that will probably be dealt with by trade in Dec/Jan. Incoming guy will probably be a 2nd pair, but whomever he offsets will n=move to 3rd.

I really like Andersson, but don't think we have the juice to get that deal done.

Andersson could be had but depends on what Conroy wants. He ripped us off last time with the Lindholm deal so Allvin should have some trade credit with Flames. Deharnais and Forbort just seem a bit slow in moving the puck out of the zone quickly and gave up a couple of goals last night.

3 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Raty had a really invisible night. If he plays like that a couple more nights, I think they'll move him to the AHL once Suter is back.

Seemed at times he felt a little lost in the D zone.  As time goes on I think he will improve.  If the overall teamplay can improve (and I think it will) it might help insulate/bring him along.

2 minutes ago, Defcon1 said:

Andersson could be had but depends on what Conroy wants. He ripped us off last time with the Lindholm deal so Allvin should have some trade credit with Flames. Deharnais and Forbort just seem a bit slow in moving the puck out of the zone quickly and gave up a couple of goals last night.

He would definitely be a long-term piece, and fit in perfectly with the cap at the mid season mark. My onlly issue would be I'd be more focused on getting a long term 2nd pair LD solution. They are cheaper, and we will have Willander pushing for a spot shortly. Hronek, Willander, and Andersson would be too much $$ longterm. 

Lets see what Forbort and Des look like in a couple games. Not even sure they played together in preseason; games I watched was Des and Soucy (which looked good).

10 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

We all know what McDavid is capable of, and he's the reigning Conn Smythe winner for a reason. What did Petterson do in the playoffs? Absolutely nothing. It appears it may have transferred to this season based on his body language on the ice yesterday, but obviously it's only game one. The biggest difference is this version of Petey from the (latter half of last season until now) is far from what we know he's capable of. He looks slow with the puck, he's not shooting, not using his lethal one-timer, and is weak on his skates. Something is off with him.

You got all that from last night?

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

We got way too complacent, thought we had it in the bag after the first, and took them for granted. 

Learn from it. Start Lankinen next game. 

Agree...but I'd go back to Silovs though. We don't want the total lack play in the last 38 minutes to spoil his confidence on the go fwd. They play a full 60min on friday, they have a VERY good chance of a W.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We got way too complacent, thought we had it in the bag after the first, and took them for granted. 

Learn from it. Start Lankinen next game. 

Looked like they felt the same way, looking down at weaker opponent and thought they had it in bag. However they had plenty of time to turn it around. At least they ended up with a point, will it be a costly point lost? We'll see but I doubt it. Flush it, focus on difficult team in the Flyers 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Agree...but I'd go back to Silovs though. We don't want the total lack play in the last 38 minutes to spoil his confidence on the go fwd. They play a full 60min on friday, they have a VERY good chance of a W.

Good point! I'd be fine with that too. I do have confidence in him. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Looked like they felt the same way, looking down at weaker opponent and thought they had it in bag. However they had plenty of time to turn it around. At least they ended up with a point, will it be a costly point lost? We'll see but I doubt it. Flush it, focus on difficult team in the Flyers 

And not to take away from Hughes effort nor Miller's perfect shot, but the Canucks are VERY lucky to get that point. The play should of resulted in an empty net goal. Up until the goal, the whole Canucks team was invisible.

2 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Exactly. They did have plenty of time and they know it. 

We dropped both games to the Flyers last year. They won't be easy. Need to be better. 

• Cheers 1

So far Pettersson has a commanding lead in this year's "Who is the scapegoat for all Canuck losses" from the Canuck fans.  Silovs has made a move but still stuck behind new comers Forbort & Desharnais, going to be interesting to see how much Pettersson has to score to relinquish the lead and/ or how much the other players have to falter to take up the mantle of Annual Scapegoat.  Shaping up to be a hell of a season Cotton!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

An honest question...did you watch the game?

They definitely backed off and that's a lesson to be learned. But you can't just remove the first...they gave it their all and perhaps ran out of gas and will have to pace themselves a bit better. Early in the season...I won't just ignore the first because that's what they're capable of. They just have to learn to sustain it.

And you have to blame Silovs at least in part. Ridiculous not to.

Perhaps the fans for chanting JT Miller while a Flames player is on the ice with doctors attending him and the people getting the stretcher ready. Might have fired up the Flames just a bit

• Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Be interesting to see what Petey looks like once settled in. He played much of the game with two new linemates, both who looked liked they were trying to figure out what/where they needed to be in the system. That line has potential to look VERY good, as both bring what Petey needs; Debrusk a powerfwd and Sprong an amazing shot.

4 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

Perhaps the fans for chanting JT Miller while a Flames player is on the ice with doctors attending him and the people getting the stretcher ready. Might have fired up the Flames just a bit

That was absolutely ridiculous! Save those chants for times like the last goal. 

What I hate about Canucks crowds is the carry forward between games. Just bc something was fun in one doesn't mean you HAVE to do it the next 30 games. Loved the JT chants last year....they felt forced and unnecessary last night  

• MillerTime 1

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You're seemingly his biggest fan and you don't think something has been off since February?? Did last night give you any reassurance that he's re-discovered his game? The Pettersson of years prior would've ripped that shot in the slot, and not pass up a grade A scoring chance with an ill-advised pass. The Pettersson of the old would've had 2 or 3 one-timer rips from his spot on the PP. Where has that been for the last 6 months?? 

• Cheers 1