[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

11 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

Perhaps the fans for chanting JT Miller while a Flames player is on the ice with doctors attending him and the people getting the stretcher ready. Might have fired up the Flames just a bit

I'm sure Cowgary's players were upset hearing the chants, but the Canucks should've still doused those Flames and pushed back. Too early to tell, but I hope defending a lead doesn't become a problem. 

Edited by Nucker67
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

An honest question...did you watch the game?

They definitely backed off and that's a lesson to be learned. But you can't just remove the first...they gave it their all and perhaps ran out of gas and will have to pace themselves a bit better. Early in the season...I won't just ignore the first because that's what they're capable of. They just have to learn to sustain it.

And you have to blame Silovs at least in part. Ridiculous not to. He let in 3 goals on 9 shots in the third. Gotta nail it down (too).  .769 save percentage.

For sure I watched the game. Every little second of it. Plus the replays and highlights and analysis and all that fun stuff.

Did Silovs let in some weak goals? Of course he did.  And I 100% would be saying the same as you IF! Canucks were outplaying Calgary and Silovs let in a couple softies to turn the game against the Canucks. But that was definitely not the case. The team in front of him stopped playing completely. They stopped defending properly, they stopped carrying the puck, they started dump and chase without chasing, they started giving up all kinds of shots. They played passive hockey and Silovs was expected to what? bail them out for it? 

No, the team for whatever reason let calgary walk all over them after such a strong start, thats 100% on them

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I'm sure Cowgary's players were upset hearing the chants, but the Canucks should've still doused those Flames and pushed back. Too early to tell, but I hope defending a lead doesn't become a problem. 

She was nit picking and blamin Silovs and and... I added another AND

14 minutes ago, Plaguez said:

So far Pettersson has a commanding lead in this year's "Who is the scapegoat for all Canuck losses" from the Canuck fans.  Silovs has made a move but still stuck behind new comers Forbort & Desharnais, going to be interesting to see how much Pettersson has to score to relinquish the lead and/ or how much the other players have to falter to take up the mantle of Annual Scapegoat.  Shaping up to be a hell of a season Cotton!

Well at $11.6m he will need to be a 100pt player for sure. Right now he is only on pace for 82 points, all assists..... So he has a lot of work to do!

In comparison, Boeser at $6.3m is on pace for 164 goals... so yeah, Petey sucks 🙂 

• Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

So sad. We had a great shot at the trifecta... Leafs and Oilers shutout. If we could have done the same to the Flames, it would have been beautiful.

Hope RT can get the boys moving in the right direction soon!

EP40 looked concerningly bad, just like the end of last season.  I was hoping for him to come out flying to shut up the haters like myself up, instead it was more of the same lacksidasical, uninterested and weak.

Imagine if this little boy had 1/10th of Miller's passion. 

Forget 11.6, he doesnt look like he even belongs in the NHL, what is going on with this guy?  The leash he's being given from canucks MGMT and the fanboys is crazy..... if this continues into December this is going to be an unavoidable hot topic.  You arent winning anything in the spring with this 11.6 anchor on your team.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. They did have plenty of time and they know it. 

We dropped both games to the Flyers last year. They won't be easy. Need to be better. 

Flyers are a hard working gritty team that keeps coming at you, we had hard time 

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Every team in the league looking at Canucks' Silovs film - "Hmm, high blocker. No problem."

Good thing we have Ian Clark!  err wait....

Oilers found his weakness now other teams know it. Silovs and perhaps the defense has to get more confident with those long shots 

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

For sure I watched the game. Every little second of it. Plus the replays and highlights and analysis and all that fun stuff.

Did Silovs let in some weak goals? Of course he did.  And I 100% would be saying the same as you IF! Canucks were outplaying Calgary and Silovs let in a couple softies to turn the game against the Canucks. But that was definitely not the case. The team in front of him stopped playing completely. They stopped defending properly, they stopped carrying the puck, they started dump and chase without chasing, they started giving up all kinds of shots. They played passive hockey and Silovs was expected to what? bail them out for it? 

No, the team for whatever reason let calgary walk all over them after such a strong start, thats 100% on them

If he hadn't let in a couple of those goals the game's even or we're up. 

It's not bailing them out...it's a matter of not letting in soft goals. I love the guy and he won't be perfect...but that's an issue he has. Those long floaters somehow are difficult for him to manage.

The reason they "let the Flames walk all over them" was because they were trying to be disciplined. Again, that soft interference penalty kind of set the tone and established who could get away with what. I'm not disputing that they played passive hockey...but to JUST hone in on that without any of the other things that factored in doesn't really look at the big picture. 

The Flames got away with some stuff that I think we'd be called for. Again...the only penalties in the second and third were to ... us. You mean to tell me Calgary played a clean game? I don't think so. But reffing wasn't the issue. Silovs wasn't the issue. It all contributed to how the game unfolded (which is my point).

I'd say yes - a goaltender is expected to help ("bail out") a team that's gone up 4-1 and needs saves to keep things out of reach. He was part of the problem last night, not the solution. So he doesn't get a free pass in this.

5 minutes ago, Defcon1 said:

Just need to clean up the defensive play and Silovs has to be better. Not much to be worried about. 

No doubt Silovs wasn’t great, but looking at the goals that went in, there was a body that briefly took his sight from the puck on most of those goals, Soucy didn’t battle hard enough in the crease on one, Mantha’s shorty he had 150ft to skate and think about what move he was going to use and unfortunately that’s the biggest exposure to the butterfly. The team played sloppy. Whatever we got a pt (not that I’m pleased it was only 1pt) but we learned a little lesson and despite the shitty outcome there were still lots of positives

26 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

An honest question...did you watch the game?

They definitely backed off and that's a lesson to be learned. But you can't just remove the first...they gave it their all and perhaps ran out of gas and will have to pace themselves a bit better. Early in the season...I won't just ignore the first because that's what they're capable of. They just have to learn to sustain it.

And you have to blame Silovs at least in part. Ridiculous not to. He let in 3 goals on 9 shots in the third. Gotta nail it down (too).  .769 save percentage.

Totally agree. If Demko was in net even with the way we played in the 2nd and 3rd, we would have won hands down. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Connor Mcdavid had ... no shots on goal last night and no points. But this market really seems to think that high ticket players just have an impact every night. 

Draisitle had no points also. The highest paid in the league 

Both dash 2 I believe 

Like this guy. Started watching him when we played the Oilers. Regarding the panel yesterday saying Oil Oil OIL!!!!!! He is saying Oil are old and slow and one injury on the D from being in big trouble. He also has the Canucks winning the Pacific.

1 hour ago, Goose said:

yeah, after watching the game the best way to describe it was loose, and they needed to match CGYs work rate.  

I noticed early on even Hughes was a primary defender on 2 glorious scoring chances against (CGY could have been up 2-0).

All in all, attention to details and line up tweaks will definitely improve things.

Certain guys like Desharnais surprised me.  He is super quick/agile for a big guy.  A few times he pursued opponents in the D zone, disrupting play.  Canucks might have something there if they can round out his all around game.

Wasnt a fan of Sprong in pre season w EP/Debrusk, and seems like Tocchett wasnt in this game either.  Shades of Kuzmenko being a non-factor w/o the puck.  Forces Debrusk to work twice as hard and its going to burn him out, guaranteed.

That was exactly it... they did not match Calgarys work rate and got punished as a result...

There are definite a need for the lines to get used to one another, and Sprong better start playing as a team player, or he will be riding the pine veery soon... under Tocchet, being a goal scorer only gets you so far... 

It'll take 5-10 games for the team, to get up to full speed, and hopefully they at least play .5 hockey until they have moulded into a unit... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Oilers found his weakness now other teams know it. Silovs and perhaps the defense has to get more confident with those long shots 

The D wasn’t exactly helping him.

Like Tocchet said everyone was about 5 feet out of position all night.

I remember on the one goal Forbort turned sideways and reached his stick to try and deflect it and it did absolutely nothing. The D needs to get into those shooting lanes and sacrifice their body. Preseason is over.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I noticed him more than Aman. Aman no points -1. Raty, 1  assist, +1 in 4 less minutes. Raty was 83.3% in Faceoffs as well. 

4 minutes of icetime is probably why I found him invisible; he was neither good nor bad. He should be getting a regular 3rd line spot in my opinion. Give him a chance for

a few games

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Integra250 said:

You're seemingly his biggest fan and you don't think something has been off since February?? Did last night give you any reassurance that he's re-discovered his game? The Pettersson of years prior would've ripped that shot in the slot, and not pass up a grade A scoring chance with an ill-advised pass. The Pettersson of the old would've had 2 or 3 one-timer rips from his spot on the PP. Where has that been for the last 6 months?? 

I never said there wasn't anything wrong.  He acknowledged knee tendonitis last season that bothered him for months.  It is well known he has had hand and wrist issues.  

I never said he was Wayne Gretzky out there last night.  But he wasn't the worst player either.  Lots of other players shit the bed too.  

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

4 minutes of icetime is probably why I found him invisible; he was neither good nor bad. He should be getting a regular 3rd line spot in my opinion. Give him a chance for

a few games

Agreed. If you have 4 lines, use them. Also, major grip from past HC, a few more preseason games with the Regulars please. Games 1-5 should not be the regulars preseason

• Cheers 2