[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The D wasn’t exactly helping him.

Like Tocchet said everyone was about 5 feet out of position all night.

I remember on the one goal Forbort turned sideways and reached his stick to try and deflect it and it did absolutely nothing. The D needs to get into those shooting lanes and sacrifice their body. Preseason is over.

It's interesting how they approached training camp and preseason as compared to last. They didn't seem to be as focused on getting such a hot start this year. Think that's reflected in Tocc's 5 feet out out of position comment.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

If he hadn't let in a couple of those goals the game's even or we're up. 

It's not bailing them out...it's a matter of not letting in soft goals. I love the guy and he won't be perfect...but that's an issue he has. Those long floaters somehow are difficult for him to manage.

The reason they "let the Flames walk all over them" was because they were trying to be disciplined. Again, that soft interference penalty kind of set the tone and established who could get away with what. I'm not disputing that they played passive hockey...but to JUST hone in on that without any of the other things that factored in doesn't really look at the big picture. 

The Flames got away with some stuff that I think we'd be called for. Again...the only penalties in the second and third were to ... us. You mean to tell me Calgary played a clean game? I don't think so. But reffing wasn't the issue. Silovs wasn't the issue. It all contributed to how the game unfolded (which is my point).

I'd say yes - a goaltender is expected to help ("bail out") a team that's gone up 4-1 and needs saves to keep things out of reach. He was part of the problem last night, not the solution. So he doesn't get a free pass in this.

The penalties were one sided in the 1st. Were they warranted, yes, but one sided. Refs always try to even up penalties. You were guaranteed Cgy would get more opportunities in 2nd or 3rd, and that's what happened. Give Cgy some credit, they totaled regained their composure in 1st intermission.

And Silovs let in some soft goals last night, and was "part" of teh problem they enede up with only one point. Having said that, the team went to sleep, and provided no defense for him nor offense for 38 minutes. Silovs did not cost us the game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Rewatched the highlights and honestly, don't think you can pinpoint the loss on Silovs. Yes you'd like a save on the two wristers that went high blocker (especially the one that hit his shoulder), and yes he was slow coming across on the 5th goal, but all of those goals had absolutely brutal defensive breakdowns in front of him. You can't give a guy an uncontested shot from the top of the slot, or allow a cross-crease pass without drilling the guy in the paint to the ice. 

What really bothered me was the way they were so nonchalant with the puck in the 2nd period onwards. They "knew" that it was an easy game and were looking for the perfect play, and that cockiness was emanating from the ice. All I could think of was the Tocchet quote from last year: "Who are we to think we're anybody?" We need to get back to that because teams know they have to play hard when they see us. Every game is a war this year, unlike last year when we had the element of surprise. There's no excuse for a team that was as undisciplined as Calgary in that first period to come back. They literally stopped playing hockey and just went after Miller for 10 minutes! Then came the second period where we were fancy and playing not to get hurt. Unacceptable. 

Tocchet was right, we need to be better at taking advantage of a team that was clearly not in the right headspace. 4 goals is not enough in this NHL, and 3 goal leads go away easily. Killer instinct, it separates the good from the great and we didn't have that last night. 

Having said that, I won't take too much from this game. There was a lot to like about that first period, just need to get our priorities in check and clean up defensively. Tocchet will smooth it out. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fan Abroad said:

Agreed. If you have 4 lines, use them. Also, major grip from past HC, a few more preseason games with the Regulars please. Games 1-5 should not be the regulars preseason

Especially with how deep the team is this year; balanced ice time is key.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tocc being the good leader also took some blame and said they didn’t work on their defensive position as much this training camp. There was a lot of work on their transition game.

Time to get back to basics and focus on their strength. Once that’s dialed in then you can worry about rush chances and generating more offense.

You could see it all night guys were caught between getting back and forcing offense. That typically leads to being out of position cause you’re not playing with instinct.

Yep, and alot of new comers in the lineup last night. Defense exhibit A was the Forbort-Des pairing; they looked lost. Players are just learning the system, and not playing your starting lineups in preseason (not that I would) is the culprit. I liked the flashes I saw out of the top 6 last night; just give them a little time.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Especially with how deep the team is this year; balanced ice time is key.

Anyway, I told my dad that I was expecting the first 5 games to be sloppy because the regulars didn't get time to gel so I am not concerned

• Cheers 1

That was a hard game on the Canuck ego.  I knew the team was in trouble

when the Flames made it 4-2.  The team was coasting and they appeared

thought the game was in the bag.  One can pick apart individual players'

games, but in reality, the majority of the team looked disorganized and

noncommittal. 

The complaining about Silovs may be justified, but keep in mind; Silovs

is 23yrs and is being asked to jump into the starter role and at the very

least sharing the role with Lankinen.  It's just the way things have worked

out, but in the end, a young goalie is being rushed into the NHL, when

it would be better developing his skills at the starter in Abby.

I wouldn't get too worked up about last night's game.  They will regroup

and Tocc will get them ready to compete.  It will be a difficult task while

Demko is out, but hopefully Lankenen can bring some consistency, which

will give Silovs more time with the goalie coach.

5 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

I'm not surprised with all the bitching and complaining after just 1 game..Not like we all met up and went to therapy over the summer.

Some people just want desperately to confirm their beliefs about certain things. Like “see I told you!”. Not good fans IMO.

Fans have only themselves to blame for hyping up Silovs and forgetting he’s still a very young very inexperienced goalie. He’s gonna have hiccups like this. Demko covers a lot of those bad breakdowns but to expect Silovs to every night is too much to ask.

To the people that said we didn’t need Lankinen, this is why we signed him. Riding Silovs with Patera as his backup would have been a horrible idea. At least Silovs has a veteran in Lankinen to lean on and take some of the pressure off.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That was a hard game on the Canuck ego.  I knew the team was in trouble

when the Flames made it 4-2.  The team was coasting and they appeared

thought the game was in the bag.  One can pick apart individual players'

games, but in reality, the majority of the team looked disorganized and

noncommittal. 

The complaining about Silovs may be justified, but keep in mind; Silovs

is 23yrs and is being asked to jump into the starter role and at the very

least sharing the role with Lankinen.  It's just the way things have worked

out, but in the end, a young goalie is being rushed into the NHL, when

it would be better developing his skills at the starter in Abby.

I wouldn't get too worked up about last night's game.  They will regroup

and Tocc will get them ready to compete.  It will be a difficult task while

Demko is out, but hopefully Lankenen can bring some consistency, which

will give Silovs more time with the goalie coach.

Yep, and we somehow were able to get a single point out of that Shitshow. Time to move on....we can be concerned if the same lackluster & disorganized play is still here in 5 games.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tocc being the good leader also took some blame and said they didn’t work on their defensive position as much this training camp. There was a lot of work on their transition game.

Time to get back to basics and focus on their strength. Once that’s dialed in then you can worry about rush chances and generating more offense.

You could see it all night guys were caught between getting back and forcing offense. That typically leads to being out of position cause you’re not playing with instinct.

Agreed. Good points. Also the mentally lazy/loose complacency makes it harder when you're organically out of position. 

To me the bigger picture is all reflective of a priority on sustainability, working on things in-season, not worrying about being perfect out of the gate, and making sure we're building consistency over time, being better at the right time. 

Tocc needs to be careful to prevent digging ourselves too much of a hole early in the season. 

• Cheers 2

Imo- short, and long term, goaltending is the biggest concern on the team.

Short term:

Demko's health

Silov's difficulty with the long shots-maybe have a chat with John Garrett, who also suffered from that issue.

long term:

same issues.

2nd biggest issue

the D needs help.

Find a D man that is good enough, that the team can split Hughes and Hronek.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Good move to sit Desharnais.

He needs more time to work with Foote.

He was always going to be a project, so I’m not too worried. If he can get to the level that Myers did last season then we’ve got something.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • chaos 1