[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

It looked like they tried to sit on a lead and when it started slipping they couldn't turn it back on. Keep the pedal to the metal, a good time to learn that lesson.

At least we salvaged a point. I highly doubt that Calgary finishes higher than us in the standings by the end of the season, which is 81 games away.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Yeah, I agree with your comments.

I wouldn't single out the third pairing as the culprits for this loss.

The entire D corps did not play well in their own end. Hronek  and Hughes were getting pushed around. Soucy and Myers had some less than stellar moments, just as you should expect for the first game of the season. No one looked to be in mid season form yet.

I noticed that the forwards were having a difficult time in the defensive zone. Also noticed that our forecheck disappeared in the last two periods. Calgary exited their zone without much difficulty and entered ours far too easily.

Hughes and Hronek were plus four. 
Our goalie gave up goals on shots the defensive structure is designed to allow. Not too sure you understand the term, “stretched out” but that is what our guys were doing as they tried to suppress shots that Silovs was struggling with. Tocchet said this in his post game, minus throwing Silovs under the bus. Silovs is not (yet) an nhl goalie. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our goalie gave up goals on shots the defensive structure is designed to allow. Not too sure you understand the term, “stretched out” but that is what our guys were doing as they tried to suppress shots that Silovs was struggling with. Tocchet said this in his post game, minus throwing Silovs under the bus. Silovs is not (yet) an nhl goalie. 

he needs to see more pucks in the AHL. Once he cleans up these types of shots he's going to be good for us.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree with this 

the goal where Soucy was trying to tie up 2 flames in front of the net happens because other players are more aggressive higher up in the D zone then they would like to be to try to suppress point shots…

• ThereItIs 1

I agree Arty wasn't great last night - he was at fault for a few of the goals, and does seem to struggle with the point shots going down way to early a lot of times. That being said he can be much better, but still not Demko level... the question right is more is he better than Lankinen which I'm sure we will find out, but there was a reason he was preferred over De Smith, who was a pretty good backup,  in the playoffs. 

Lets also remember he's still young, that was his first competitive game of the season, his first NHL opener and only his 10th NHL game I think. Lets give the guy a bit of a break before we write him off. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree 100% Alfie. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like Silovs is ready for prime time yet. Bubble Demko would have probably saved most of those goals last night and we win like 5-1 or 5-2. 

• Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

That's your opinion, even if stated like facts.

No "one thing" cost us the game, which is my point, It was a combination of things and Silovs definitely was part of that. Some just would rather write the team off but I'm not willing to do that.

And the refs evening things up is also a problem for me. It gives one team an advantage. So if Calgary got more penalties in the first because they were committing more infractions you should just start ignoring them and leave them be? No.

I know it's how they do it. It's time they stop doing it. 

While frustrating, I don't think it's going to change. Boston took advantage of the Nucks in 2011 and other teams, like the Flames, seem to have adapted the same MO. I think the only answer is to size up our forward lines and embrace the battle.

5 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Agree...but I'd go back to Silovs though. We don't want the total lack play in the last 38 minutes to spoil his confidence on the go fwd. They play a full 60min on friday, they have a VERY good chance of a W.

Exactly what I was thinking. It was a rough go, but I think he’s earned a bit of leeway (not too much though). Have G coach work with him specifically on tracking long range shots at practice and throw him right back in against Philly (hopefully with some improved D play) but with a short leash, if he let’s in a stinker/long shot throw Lankinen in.

5 hours ago, Fan Abroad said:

Perhaps the fans for chanting JT Miller while a Flames player is on the ice with doctors attending him and the people getting the stretcher ready. Might have fired up the Flames just a bit

Yeah, that did not sit well with me, and have to say was a bad look on us. I’m all for old time hockey, and it was a totally clean hit, but you don’t chant and relish the moment when a player is on the ice in serious distress like that. Was pretty sickening

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Be interesting to see what Petey looks like once settled in. He played much of the game with two new linemates, both who looked liked they were trying to figure out what/where they needed to be in the system. That line has potential to look VERY good, as both bring what Petey needs; Debrusk a powerfwd and Sprong an amazing shot.

I think Debrusk will be a good fit, not sold on Sprong there. I think he’s a good PP tool to have in the box. Petey is supposed to be the amazing shot, so think more of a set up guy would be good on his other wing.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

How can Hughes and Hronek be plus 4 in a 6 - 5 game with 2 PP goals?

Hronek got beat on the OT goal like his skates where cemented in the ice.

I could be wrong but that means he is at best plus 2.

4 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

How can Hughes and Hronek be plus 4 in a 6 - 5 game with 2 PP goals?

Hronek got beat on the OT goal like his skates where cemented in the ice.

I could be wrong but that means he is at best plus 2.

They were a plus four. Them’s the facts. Accept HH are the best D pairing in hockey. Them’s the facts. 
Bow to the Empties. 

1 minute ago, DisgruntledNucksFan said:

Hronek was fucking brutal …. Walked by a kid …. Zads would’ve flattened him when he tried to skate by 

Maybe but Z wouldn’t have been out there in OT in the first place…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1