[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Maybe but Z wouldn’t have been out there in OT in the first place…

Zadorov was our best defender in the playoffs . If he was still on our team he should’ve been out there…. You’re a good poster here . Why are you defending a pylon that got walked by a kid whose numbers were likely inflated by second assist by passing it across to Hughes ……

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don’t even get me started how he just gave the puck away in the fore check in games 6 and 7 in the corner because he didn’t wanna eat some contact …. Get rid of that baby and get a real defender to play next to Quinn …. One that can actually protect him when teams try and injure him. We’re never going to make it far in the playoffs when we can’t protect our best player and captain when other teams start targeting him . 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

His career stats are mediocre, definitely not that of a starter.

My comment isn't about Silovs being a starter, but about judging his potential after one game to fill in as the main goalie while Demko is out.

In 2019, when Demko was 23 years old, he became a backup to injured Markstrom. Guess how old Silovs is now? 23 years old

We could be looking at a similar situation to what happened to Demko and Markstrom. Demko came in and played 27 games in 2019 and 35 games in 2020. He became a starter in 2021 when he played 54 games after he was signed to a 5 year deal.

Maybe this is the potential trajectory for Silovs, starting as a backup and getting in 25+ games this year and then in 2-3 years becoming the starter.

Kevin Lankinen has more experience, but has never played more than 37 NHL games in a season. He's also 29 years old, so his career long term potential isn't the same as Silovs who is 6 years younger. 

All of what happens next hinges on Demko's recovery time and how he plays once he plays NHL games this year. Maybe like Markstrom, Demko will recover from his injuries and continue playing or maybe he won't be able to handle starting goalie numbers anymore.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I never said there wasn't anything wrong.  He acknowledged knee tendonitis last season that bothered him for months.  It is well known he has had hand and wrist issues.  

I never said he was Wayne Gretzky out there last night.  But he wasn't the worst player either.  Lots of other players shit the bed too.  

I still call B.S. on the knee thing. When he announced it even management were surprised and knew nothing about it. I think he was trying to just cover for his poor play. Lone behold nothing has changed in preseason or game 1.... 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

That was absolutely ridiculous! Save those chants for times like the last goal. 

What I hate about Canucks crowds is the carry forward between games. Just bc something was fun in one doesn't mean you HAVE to do it the next 30 games. Loved the JT chants last year....they felt forced and unnecessary last night  

I myself was cheering JT Miller, But, I didn't even see  or know a was player down ,until the end boards opened up and a stretcher about to come out, being near the front I couldn't see the player down  on the ice and before that was cheering Millers tenacity

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, J-23 said:

He had a 100 point season two years ago where he got Selke votes as well.

He also had a great start to the beginning of last season.

Oh good.. can we just tell the league that Petey was a good player 2 years ago so maybe they will just spot him 100pts and we can sit him?

No one is arguing he was much better 2 years ago... what they are saying is he is a shell of what he was, but now paid much more. That's pretty obvious to anyone willing to see the truth.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Let them have their fun now.

you could tell winning against us is such a big deal to them. I hate losing them so much because they have this weird superiority complex over us... they seem to think last season was a fluke and with that comeback win last night you know those losers are saying "I ToLd YoU sO" 😒

3 hours ago, Artemus said:

Yeah, I agree with your comments.

I wouldn't single out the third pairing as the culprits for this loss.

The entire D corps did not play well in their own end. Hronek  and Hughes were getting pushed around. Soucy and Myers had some less than stellar moments, just as you should expect for the first game of the season. No one looked to be in mid season form yet.

I noticed that the forwards were having a difficult time in the defensive zone. Also noticed that our forecheck disappeared in the last two periods. Calgary exited their zone without much difficulty and entered ours far too easily.

I agree that the third pairing was not the reason for losing the game. 

While they were on the ice for two goals, both of them were from the high slot which is not their coverage responsibility…Silovs was beaten cleanly on both of those shots.

• Cheers 1

That was rough. Once Calgary settled down, they took over. We also let our intensity slip. That hit by Miller shouldve defined the game for the Canucks, fast and physical.

Instead its like the Canucks let it slip. Almost as if they were being too nice, not wanting to rub it in. Keep going, make it a 4 goal lead, make it a 5 goal lead, don't stop being physical. Make the other team feel it.

Everyone looked so good out the gate, but that wasn't the case by games end.

Hughes looked good, Garland had some good moments and so did Miller(some bad ones too), and that's about it.

This team needs Demko, I like Silovs, but it's obvious that he cant steal games the way Demko can (at least for now). The teams skaters are here to be fast, physical and score points, but defending is not something they can do. This team isnt built around Petey, Hughes or Miller, its built around Demko.

Thatcher lets you cheap out on dmen and spend a little more on forwards to score more, while relying on Demko to make up for defensive issues.

The Canucks cant let their intensity slip during these games, if they do ,then they will fall behind and blow leads.

You cant let Arty come under siege like he was in the 2nd and especially the third. The Canucks don't have the defensive awareness to let the other teams dictate the pace and flow of the game. 

Hopefully, they learn their lesson and come out ready for a full 60 minutes on Friday... and the game after that, and so on. 

1 hour ago, DisgruntledNucksFan said:

Don’t even get me started how he just gave the puck away in the fore check in games 6 and 7 in the corner because he didn’t wanna eat some contact …. Get rid of that baby and get a real defender to play next to Quinn …. One that can actually protect him when teams try and injure him. We’re never going to make it far in the playoffs when we can’t protect our best player and captain when other teams start targeting him . 

Management will get a Rd to play with Hughes before deadline.  In the meantime, you act as if Hronek shot u'r dog or something?  You're frothing at the mouth there bud.  Smoke some weed, have a drink... whatever it takes.... take a breather hombre. It's game 1.  Lordy. Beavis And Butthead Comedy GIF by Paramount+

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Looking forward to tomorrow's game so we can move on from all of this but hurt back stabbing. At least wait 5 to 10 games before drawing conclusions about the value of players management. Its going to be a tough enough year for this team to repeat last year's success without friendly fanbase fire.

GCG.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, NHL Tyranny said:

Looking forward to tomorrow's game so we can move on from all of this but hurt back stabbing. At least wait 5 to 10 games before drawing conclusions about the value of players management. Its going to be a tough enough year for this team to repeat last year's success without friendly fanbase fire.

GCG.

A fan will use Friendly warranted criticism and that is ok by me and players themselves ,

I suppose Edmonton and TO have no hope of ever winning a game after their season openers?

No Cup winning team has gone undefeated, I am not worried, and  that if the chemistry isn't right that they change it  up,

Yes we didn't play a great 2 periods  but still, the expected goals scored was kept to 2 (so not a total disaster) they just happened to score 3x  more than what their shots were expected too

• Cheers 1

Sweeping conclusions aside, it’s a bit different with Silovs back there than Demko. Especially when we aren’t giving the playoff effort of blocking anything and everything.

Boys need to learn to play the “full 60 minutes” which really means like 45-ish. We’ll be fine. 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Sweeping conclusions aside, it’s a bit different with Silovs back there than Demko. Especially when we aren’t giving the playoff effort of blocking anything and everything.

Boys need to learn to play the “full 60 minutes” which really means like 45-ish. We’ll be fine. 

So true on the 45 mins. 60 mins is cliche but it’s practically impossible to play a perfect 60 mins 

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I hope this team gets wakes up finds their identity works on their D coverage gets a better goalie and gets their shit together otherwise it’s gonna be a long season

Holy overreaction Batman! It's only game 1. They have time to figure it out. This was a learning experience