[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

WELL WHAT I LIKED WAS TEAM TOUGHNESS..WHAT WEAK PART WAS THE FORBAT GES PAIRING...TWO GREAT GUYS BUT NO MOBILITY SO THEY WERE EXPOSED...I LIKE IT THIUGH EARLY IN THE SEASON...TOO MANY TIMES ON MYERS SOUCY AND FORBORT DES PAIRING WHEN PUCK WENT BEHIND THE NET THEY BOTH KIND OF FOLLOWED IT THROUGH LEAVING THE FRON WIDE OPEN..HAVE A FEW LOOKS WHEN FLAMES DUMPED IT IN ..

Definitely like Aman coming out; Raty was great in the faceoffs. That's the tipping point there. People say Aman can kill penalties  but we have a lot of options there. Tons.

DeH coming out is only housekeeping.  He needs more time with our awesome coaches. He's a diamond in the rough. Tocchet likes em rough. 

Silov's might need eye glasses for the long shots. Wouldn't it be great if thats all it was?

Overall we added a lot of experience only thing is the new guys need to learn how to operate Tocchets defensive structure. 

The added firepower was pretty evident which is great.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Definitely like Aman coming out; Raty was great in the faceoffs. That's the tipping point there. People say Aman can kill penalties  but we have a lot of options there. Tons.

DeH coming out is only housekeeping.  He needs more time with our awesome coaches. He's a diamond in the rough. Tocchet likes em rough. 

Silov's might need eye glasses for the long shots. Wouldn't it be great if thats all it was?

Overall we added a lot of experience only thing is the new guys need to learn how to operate Tocchets defensive structure

The added firepower was pretty evident which is great.

In which case he basically said they'll work on and gotta make smarter plays. Maybe our bodies need to block some of those long shots. 

I'm sure they'll figure things out 

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hughes and Hronek were plus four. 
Our goalie gave up goals on shots the defensive structure is designed to allow. Not too sure you understand the term, “stretched out” but that is what our guys were doing as they tried to suppress shots that Silovs was struggling with. Tocchet said this in his post game, minus throwing Silovs under the bus. Silovs is not (yet) an nhl goalie. 

Cdc has Hronek as being plus 1 and Hughes as being plus 2.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

He would definitely be a long-term piece, and fit in perfectly with the cap at the mid season mark. My onlly issue would be I'd be more focused on getting a long term 2nd pair LD solution. They are cheaper, and we will have Willander pushing for a spot shortly. Hronek, Willander, and Andersson would be too much $$ longterm. 

Lets see what Forbort and Des look like in a couple games. Not even sure they played together in preseason; games I watched was Des and Soucy (which looked good).

Yeah that Forbort Deharnais pairing needs to split up

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

Cdc has Hronek as being plus 1 and Hughes as being plus 2.

Yeah - no plusses for being on the ice for a PP goal (but yes for a SH goal). Hronkek got a minus for being on the ice for the losing O/T goal

3 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Let's not get too down on Pete after the 1st game. Hold the pitchforks for now. 

We now have him long term he's young he has many seasons ahead of him. This is our team. 8 years is a long time. Pete has a bright future as does our team. 

The time to sound the alarm has passed. 11.6 is what it is. It's not going away, support Pete now. If it is mental fan support could be huge. if you're a canucks fan. 

#supportpete

Young he might be, but this is his 7th season as a  Canuck, plus, he's over 1/2 way towards collecting the NHL maximum pension ($265,000 p.a. from age 62)

I have a bad feeling about this season… A lot of new faces… We don’t have Demko… I think our defence is worse than last year… This team just looks like they’re lost… Petey still look like hot garbage-  I think we’re gonna have a poor start reminiscent of years gone by…

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I have a bad feeling about this season… A lot of new faces… We don’t have Demko… I think our defence is worse than last year… This team just looks like they’re lost… Petey still look like hot garbage-  I think we’re gonna have a poor start reminiscent of years gone by…

i dont have a bad feeling since its a long season and theres time to fix things. the question is more how the first 10-15 games turn out. if we dont win at least 8 of those 15 then we need to make some drastic changes, trade for something we really need. ive mentioned it during preseason, our top 6 is a questionmark. how the forwards and D communicate when its goal is to play Defensively. we lost that 4-1 lead and just got scattered, making our D look terrible. so i say chill for a bit, but let tocchet and staff make some adjustments. that dont work out after 10-15 games then its time to for some serious adjustments. 

11 hours ago, Mc1laren said:

Yea I agree with you, 90-100+ point seasons last two years, the hell was Alvin thinking. Let’s trade him for Marner, he’s an amazing regular season performer

btw

i dont actually agree with you 

lol. So arrogant? Joke's on you in 12-24 months, Pettersson is not trending well at all. 100 points and what does it mean? We made the playoffs once in 4 years. That's enough to fill your wow ego for a while. Rational people were commenting on Pettersson's troubling play and lack of domination at the game specifically, but I guess there's always a Homer who spontaneously shouts out 100 POINTS!! without giving much thought about what is being discussed. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

i dont have a bad feeling since its a long season and theres time to fix things. the question is more how the first 10-15 games turn out. if we dont win at least 8 of those 15 then we need to make some drastic changes, trade for something we really need. ive mentioned it during preseason, our top 6 is a questionmark. how the forwards and D communicate when its goal is to play Defensively. we lost that 4-1 lead and just got scattered, making our D look terrible. so i say chill for a bit, but let tocchet and staff make some adjustments. that dont work out after 10-15 games then its time to for some serious adjustments. 

I don't have a bad feeling... At all really.

Did you see that first period? They were absolutely dominant, like they were toying with Calgary. But they lost their focus, and their rookie goalie imploded (4 goals on what...6 shots?). That stuff happens with young goalies, and teams early in the season. We have Lankinen, Demko is coming back, and Arty is waivers-ineligible, so no biggie if Silovs needs more development time

The vets barely played in the preseason (that was Miller's 2nd game), they're just getting warmed up. Let the coaches do their thing. In this case, the blown lead may make their messaging stronger going forward.

The only concern I have is Petey. But even that needs some time to see if he can figure it out.

Edited by D-Money
  • Upvote 1

taking the preseason lightly just like every season except the past season where we stumbled and looked like crap the first 10 games of the season.. who would have predicted? with all these new players in the top 6 and defence.. maybe they should have played more than 1 or 2 games in the regular season lineup you planned on so they can build chemistry with their new teammates.. you only need to play 1-2 set lines per game and have the other lines to experiment.. oh well we'll see how the 1st 10 game goes.. as our schedule is not easy at all.. next up is the philly's that traditionally play us tough and manage to grind their ways to win more often than not.

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Zadorov chased the money based on a good playoffs, that was his choice. Yeah, he had the run, yeah he brought size and fans seemed to like how he handled interviews, but so what. Based on ice time he wasn't a top 4D for us during the regular season last season, and that's a pattern that's factored in throughout his career. It was the case in Colorado, it was the case in Calgary. 

Hughes, Hronek, Myers, Cole, and Soucy all averaged more minutes in Canuck colours than Zadorov did last season, and that includes Soucy playing 14 fewer games than Zadorov. As far as D went, Zadorov was 6th. 

Whatever happens in Boston doesn't matter, based on how he was predominantly used in Vancouver he was not a top 4D. 

That, and when things didn't go his way during negotiations he felt "disrespected". Turns out both him and Lindholm had spoken about potentially signing in Boston when visiting as members of the Canucks last season.

Good riddance. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/zadorov-disrespected-canucks-contract-negotiations

Oh wow, didn’t know that about him and Lindholm talking about signing there last season, or that Canucks offered him $5M but less term. What the heck did he feel disrespected about?? If he actually wanted to stay, sign that and earn your next long term contract. Guess he knew he wouldn’t be able to keep the playoff pace up and do that. Totally changes my opinion of him. Glad he bombed in his first game with the Bruins. I hope it continues.

I want to hold off until more then game 1 to analyze but

Desharnais is wallmart myers

Myers is older and worse

Soucy is a top 4 but is streaky/inconsistent

Forbert: maybe a 6th d 

I think the entire idea to split hughes and hronek came from realizing this, as a way to stretch hughes and hroneks talent through the dcore.

I think now im leaning towards idealizing spending more cap$ on defense. I dont know if zadorov was the answer. Im thinking we need to do 2 more hronek-esk type trades but for young top 4 d. 

10 hours ago, J-23 said:

Juulsen deserved to start this season as a regular.

Outside of taking himself out of a play to make an hit every now and then he was very good. Great on the penalty kill as well.

I would have penciled in Juulsen on the 3rd pair, and used Des money (plus more) to go out and get a legit 2nd pair LD. This team would be miles ahead with that vs HOPING Des can come around and be a competent Dman. Hopefully this is the plan, but they are thinking making this addition later.

Aside from those couple teachable plays you described (took himself out of position to make big hit), the guy has been rock solid.

Just now, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Our final 2 periods we played like San Jose, I'm sure we'll fix our defense structure and play smarter

Our goalie was terrible on shots our system is designed to give up. Guys started to stretch out to stop those shots. That created big gaps. Our lack of structure was 100% because of bad goaltending. No coach or player, from our team will say this, buts it’s fact. 

2 hours ago, XxNaslundxX said:

I want to hold off until more then game 1 to analyze but

Desharnais is wallmart myers

Myers is older and worse

Soucy is a top 4 but is streaky/inconsistent

Forbert: maybe a 6th d 

I think the entire idea to split hughes and hronek came from realizing this, as a way to stretch hughes and hroneks talent through the dcore.

I think now im leaning towards idealizing spending more cap$ on defense. I dont know if zadorov was the answer. Im thinking we need to do 2 more hronek-esk type trades but for young top 4 d. 

Meyers was a a good resign; he is a place holder for Willander

Soucy is a great 3rd pairing Dman

Des shouldn't have been signed to anything > league min

Forbort; a LD Juulsen

Juulsen; should have the starting 3rd pair spot this year

Hughes-Hronek

FA-Myers (Willander LT)

Soucy-Juulsen

Forbort/friedman/etc.

Lets hope this is what it looks like in January. 

Splitting Hughes and Hronek up was a ploy to lower his value in negotiations; give preception he is carried by Hughes and not worth the extra cheese. Splitting the two only creates another gapping hole on teh top pair you need to fill with another expensive player (like an Ekholm type dude).

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1