Soucy is a great 3rd pairing Dman

Des shouldn't have been signed to anything > league min

Forbort; a LD Juulsen

Juulsen; should have the starting 3rd pair spot this year

Hughes-Hronek

FA-Myers (Willander LT)

Soucy-Juulsen

Forbort/friedman/etc.

Lets hope this is what it looks like in January. 

Splitting Hughes and Hronek up was a ploy to lower his value in negotiations; give preception he is carried by Hughes and not worth the extra cheese. Splitting the two only creates another gapping hole on teh top pair you need to fill with another expensive player (like an Ekholm type dude).

13 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I would have penciled in Juulsen on the 3rd pair, and used Des money (plus more) to go out and get a legit 2nd pair LD. This team would be miles ahead with that vs HOPING Des can come around and be a competent Dman. Hopefully this is the plan, but they are thinking making this addition later.

Aside from those couple teachable plays you described (took himself out of position to make big hit), the guy has been rock solid.

Des was fine.,our goalie smelled. Our system allows for low danger long distance shots. Silovs struggles with those. Des and all our players (not named Hughes and Hronek) were pushing out too far to try and suppress those shots. Des was brought here to play within our system. A little feller (like Littleman from TO) wouldn’t suit that role. 

Desharnais was more of a victim of bad goaltending than he was a liability.

xGA 0.24…….. in all situations which at 5v5 was .024…….. 

Quinn Hughes had the highest expected goals against 1.01

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Desharnais was more of a victim of bad goaltending than he was a liability.

xGA 0.24…….. in all situations which at 5v5 was .024…….. 

Quinn Hughes had the highest expected goals against 1.01

Our club was the victim of a goalie who struggles with low danger shots our D zone coverage is designed to allow. Hughes had two points and was a plus two. 

Edited by Alflives

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Our club was the victim of a goalie who struggles with low danger shots our D zone coverage is designed to allow. Hughes had two points and was a plus two. 

you have to think this is something he can improve on over time. There must be good eye tracking training, that sort of stuff for goalies isn't there? 

3 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Oh wow, didn’t know that about him and Lindholm talking about signing there last season, or that Canucks offered him $5M but less term. What the heck did he feel disrespected about?? If he actually wanted to stay, sign that and earn your next long term contract. Guess he knew he wouldn’t be able to keep the playoff pace up and do that. Totally changes my opinion of him. Glad he bombed in his first game with the Bruins. I hope it continues.

See, I didn't wanna re-sign him if he was too expensive to begin with, but I also didn't think he was a top 4 guy, I saw him as a 5 at best. But yeah, the talking about signing in Boston bit while being Canucks, I'm glad we let him go. 

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't blame him for chasing the bag, it's his right. It just emphasizes how important it is to lock up some UFA years with your young players, because you never know what happens with UFAs, you can't plan on it or expect loyalty. 

Boston definitely overpaid for him. Maybe it works out maybe it doesn't. I'd rather have DeBrusk for less money, thats a much better bet when we're talking this much salary for a 4/5 d vs a potential top line F. 

I don't either, I think players should generally go for the bag when they can. He just wanted term we weren't willing to give, and we were right not to offer it. 

I'd rather have DeBrusk too, we'll be better for having a forward of his ilk in the top six. Can't fix everything at once, but we definitely needed another legit top 6 guy. 

What rubs me the wrong way is him and Lindholm discussing signing in Boston while visiting as Canucks. Yeah, it's their right to talk about their futures and all, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna leave a sour taste in people's mouths. I'm glad both sides moved on. And his talking about being disrespected, he's welcome to feel that way but I doubt he was being disrespected by the current management group. I want players who want to be here, he clearly didn't want that enough. 

• Cheers 1

So, it looks likes more of the same and some of the same concerns with this team still exist. The excuse cannot be used that the team is coming off a long road trip or guys are playing hurt as a reason they didn't play a full 60 minutes. I watched a lot of the preseason games and it didn't appear to be a concern then? What is the difference? 

The same with Petey, no injury excuse or that his contract negotiations are distracting him, there are no excuses now. He is still playing like the puck is a hot potato. Not sure he is living up to that monster contract he received. 

I know there are varying opinions on Zadorov but he was a player we needed to keep. No, the negotiations didn't go well but we are going to miss the type of game he brought to the table. No question. Especially when we get into the playoffs.

Is Myers, Desharnais and Forbort the answer? I didn't believe it during free agent frenzy and I don't believe it now. We cheaped out and went shopping in the bargain bin, I sure hope Demko comes back soon to bail these guys out. 

I did think Shilovs was going to do OK for, us but it appears he is going to need some more seasoning in the minors, thats OK. 

Miller! Wow! I still can't believe there were some that believed Bo was our guy and then Petey. Miller is what this team needed for decades. 

Looking forward to the next game and fully expecting Petey to put some points on the board and a have a good performance this time. GCG! :canucks:

Edited by EdgarM
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

What rubs me the wrong way is him and Lindholm discussing signing in Boston while visiting as Canucks. Yeah, it's their right to talk about their futures and all, but that doesn't mean it's not gonna leave a sour taste in people's mouths. I'm glad both sides moved on. And his talking about being disrespected, he's welcome to feel that way but I doubt he was being disrespected by the current management group. I want players who want to be here, he clearly didn't want that enough. 

that part struck me as a little Diva, but whatever. I liked him while he was here, now he's just another guy on a team I am happy to watch lose.

Lindy never did seem committed to be here, which again is kind of understandable given his current line mates vs being used in a more shutdown role here. 

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Des was fine.,our goalie smelled. Our system allows for low danger long distance shots. Silovs struggles with those. Des and all our players (not named Hughes and Hronek) were pushing out too far to try and suppress those shots. Des was brought here to play within our system. A little feller (like Littleman from TO) wouldn’t suit that role. 

Postgame, Tocchet put a significant emphasis on players being out of position .  Good reinforcement with this video analysis ...

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

that part struck me as a little Diva, but whatever. I liked him while he was here, now he's just another guy on a team I am happy to watch lose.

Lindy never did seem committed to be here, which again is kind of understandable given his current line mates vs being used in a more shutdown role here. 

Lindy I get, but Lindy wasn't really in negotiations to stay, we knew when we got him that he probably wasn't gonna stay. 

Zadorov though, he got what he wanted from Boston, just take your pile of money and go play. He got what he wanted, there's no need to go on a podcast and air dirty laundry and talk about how you'd talked about maybe signing in Boston while being a Canuck. There's no need to win over Boston fans by talking about that sort of thing, go let your play do the talking. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Lindy I get, but Lindy wasn't really in negotiations to stay, we knew when we got him that he probably wasn't gonna stay. 

Zadorov though, he got what he wanted from Boston, just take your pile of money and go play. He got what he wanted, there's no need to go on a podcast and air dirty laundry and talk about how you'd talked about maybe signing in Boston while being a Canuck. There's no need to win over Boston fans by talking about that sort of thing, go let your play do the talking. 

I’m late to the conversation on Zadorov ,

but his intimidation factor,  and how he was vocal on the ice, was the extra curricular factor that was missing in our opener.

no way Mantha , or others lay a finger on Miller if Zadorov is on this team.

He left for an extra year in his contract, 

same per year was offered by the Canucks.

There was no reason the Canucks couldn’t have signed him just before the playoffs.

He wanted 4.75 from the Flames before he came to us.

A 5 x 6 yr probably would have put the biggest smile on his before the playoffs ,  where he notched 8 p in 12 games.

We will be hoping to still find a player like him for most of this season.

Zadorov should have been signed before Myers.

Management played hard ball with the wrong player ,   Perhaps should have paid EP less .

On with the season ,  our Forward core looks fantastic, once up to speed,  we may have one of the best 200ft teams in the league.

I also think Brannstrom will rekindle the puck moving skating game that got him into the 1st rnd of his draft.

• Like 1

• Ribs unpinned and unfeatured this topic
4 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Oh wow, didn’t know that about him and Lindholm talking about signing there last season, or that Canucks offered him $5M but less term. What the heck did he feel disrespected about?? If he actually wanted to stay, sign that and earn your next long term contract. Guess he knew he wouldn’t be able to keep the playoff pace up and do that. Totally changes my opinion of him. Glad he bombed in his first game with the Bruins. I hope it continues.

Got 2 assists last night

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I don't blame him for chasing the bag, it's his right. It just emphasizes how important it is to lock up some UFA years with your young players, because you never know what happens with UFAs, you can't plan on it or expect loyalty. 

Boston definitely overpaid for him. Maybe it works out maybe it doesn't. I'd rather have DeBrusk for less money, thats a much better bet when we're talking this much salary for a 4/5 d vs a potential top line F. 

That ain't working

Get your money for nothing, and the chicks are free 

50 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m late to the conversation on Zadorov ,

but his intimidation factor,  and how he was vocal on the ice, was the extra curricular factor that was missing in our opener.

no way Mantha , or others lay a finger on Miller if Zadorov is on this team.

He left for an extra year in his contract, 

same per year was offered by the Canucks.

There was no reason the Canucks couldn’t have signed him just before the playoffs.

He wanted 4.75 from the Flames before he came to us.

A 5 x 6 yr probably would have put the biggest smile on his before the playoffs ,  where he notched 8 p in 12 games.

We will be hoping to still find a player like him for most of this season.

Zadorov should have been signed before Myers.

Management played hard ball with the wrong player ,   Perhaps should have paid EP less .

On with the season ,  our Forward core looks fantastic, once up to speed,  we may have one of the best 200ft teams in the league.

I also think Brannstrom will rekindle the puck moving skating game that got him into the 1st rnd of his draft.

Agree to disagree on the home opener, I don't think Zadorov would have made much of a difference. He may have wound up fighting instead of Miller, but I don't think his presence would have put a damper on it being a chippy game. For context, teams that are expected to be losers most of the season hear about how they're supposed to be losers most of the season, more than likely Calgary was always going to come out and try to demonstrate that they're not just going to roll over this season, it was their first game too. Players have pride, they want to win.

If you dig into Mantha a bit, he's a guy who maybe fights 1-3 times a season but that jumps up and down over his career. Over the past five seasons he's only had one season where he's fought more than once, that was 22-23, which saw him fight 3 times. I spoke to the Flames wanting to show they're not just gonna roll over, Mantha's a guy who very much wants to show that he can stick in this league. 30 years old and on a single year deal, probably hoping to get flipped to a playoff team at the deadline if the Flames sputter out as they're expected to. Lots of reasons for him to come in and stir the pot, he's got to actually be a presence going forward if other teams are to want him. 

And yeah, he did, but I don't blame the Canucks for not caving. It goes two ways, if he really wanted to stay he also could have gave a bit and simply taken the offer but he opted for the term and money, that's on him. Takes two to tango, he very easily could have decided it was still worth staying for an extra year less. There's guff about Myers, but he did exactly that, he absolutely could have gotten more than 3x3 via UFA. Others like Blueger and Joshua took less than they could have gotten via UFA as well, Blueger actually took a 100k pay cut. 

Maybe, maybe not, but he didn't perform the way he had during the regular season in the playoff time. He had a good stretch of games, his best stretch of games, come playoff time. But teams shouldn't pay a guy based on a small sample size, you look at the rest of it, and his historical ice time backs up that he wasn't a top 4D in Calgary of Colorado either. Regarding Canucks D, he was sixth in average ice time last season behind Hughes, Hronek, Cole, Myers, and Soucy. Could he do more with a larger opportunity in Boston? We'll see, they're certainly paying him to do more so they're gonna hope so. 

I'm fine with the team as is, ideally we'd have Demko in net but these things happen. Just gotta work out some kinks, we'll probably see management look to upgrade the defense later in the season, we could definitely use another top 4D but it's tough to have everything at all positions under the cap system. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Our goalie was also a victim of screens, bad turnovers and Soucy half assing it in the crease when tying Huberdone up.

10 hours ago, Mrwipeout said:

i dont have a bad feeling since its a long season and theres time to fix things. the question is more how the first 10-15 games turn out. if we dont win at least 8 of those 15 then we need to make some drastic changes, trade for something we really need. ive mentioned it during preseason, our top 6 is a questionmark. how the forwards and D communicate when its goal is to play Defensively. we lost that 4-1 lead and just got scattered, making our D look terrible. so i say chill for a bit, but let tocchet and staff make some adjustments. that dont work out after 10-15 games then its time to for some serious adjustments. 

I wish I had your optimism but I don’t…

Petey and DeBrusk looked like hot garbage… why is it so hard to find wingers for Petey… and he still looks weak out there… 

compared to last years start we look like complete losers… 

It’s just a continuation of the post all star break breakdown.. 

but you have a point… it’s just the first game but…

• Confused 1