[PGT] Calgary @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well here we go for excuses for weak players

Well his long shot reads killed us in the playoffs

So w.e.

Not defending the guy, he was bad tonight.

Lots of other guys were bad too. Guys who are paid a shit load more, and should carry a heavier load.

Petey was ass for example. Maybe his knee is all pissy baby again.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

No that’s not what it’s for.   But, I'll agree with the 2nd statement you made and agree with the last. Cheers!

Well what is it for then, and why did very few if any NHL clubs run their regular roster lines through preseason? 

20 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Which ones?

The Canucks aren't a contender if they need their goaltender to win them a 4-1 game.

Chicken or egg whichever was first. They were a dogs breakfast tonight. 

Edited by Hammertime

6 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Let me just say that I think he'll put it together like the Sedins did ... but ...  and ... that he needs to put it together given his contract. 

Big believer in Hoglander and he's only 23. 

The Sedins didn't get paid until they did. When you make 11.6mil, you don't get to be free of criticism while you "put it together." Nobody here wants to give Petey a hard time. We want him to succeed. But his issue has been strength for 6 full years, and has done nothing about it. As far as I know he went from 165 at the draft to 178 I think he said a couple offseasons ago. Still almost a full 10 pounds lighter than Hogs, a guy he is like 5 inches taller than.

At some point it gets hard to believe Petey is ever going to actually address it. Willander is a teenager and he had more awareness at his draft about size. It was his whole reasoning for going to college. Petey plays timid cause he knows he's going to get trucked by literally everyone. But he wouldn't have to if he hit the weight room with some sort of intent. It just feels like he refuses to do it. And it's frustrating to watch. He'll probably smoke San Jose and Chicago for 4 points each and we'll forget though.

• Cheers 3

Tough loss. We let off the gas in the last 40 minutes. Some negatives:

- Petey didn’t seem to dominate or control play much

- Some bad defensive breakdowns where Calgary walked a good couple metres off the blue line for shots

- Silovs from range still struggled, though you could argue there’s some issues with the D clearing the front better

But it’s just one game. A lot of the roster has changed and will need time to gel. And that can only happen in the regular season. Preseason games are not the same.

It’s a long season! Excited to see how the team progresses. 

GO CANUCKS GO!

Very simple.

D was not playing anywhere near to what it was last year.

Forbort and Deharnais were both -2.

Myers didn't look good... neither did Soucy particularly.

Whether this a function of the early stages of the season or there is something deeper is to be seen.

As far as the forwards are concerned... not enough playmaking skill beyond Miller/Boeser/Pettersson/Garland.

There is still not someone who has a high level of skill and who can play with Pettersson.

Pettersson did not look inspired at all... made a couple nice passes and got an assist, but didn't drive the net and had a paltry one shot.

Team needs two top lines working to succeed.

I am not as big a fan of Tocchet as some on this forum...  I think a lot of the success of last year was a combination of 'new coach', management providing a lot of good players for him to work with, and luck.

We'll have to wait till Joshua and Suter come back to see whether that makes a difference.

Its my fault.

when it was 3-0 i was having visions of that time back in '92when  the Canucks trounced the flames 11-0 and Gerald Diduck beat up Paul Kruse...was thinking we can do it again tonight. I then started looking ahead in the schedule.  I think some of the Canucks thought it was in the bag too.

Tocchet will settle them down...

• Like 1

So I still have to watch the recorded game after work but it sounds like there will be lots of video of what not to do?  

Maybe a stinker off the top will keep the boys humble and focused

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Goose said:

So I still have to watch the recorded game after work but it sounds like there will be lots of video of what not to do?  

Maybe a stinker off the top will keep the boys humble and focused

Watch the first period and last 3 mins of third.  OT was so so.  Flames had most of the possession 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I really hope I'm wrong on Petie but my eye test says I'm not wrong. ie about his lack of engagement 

Unfortunately he looks like he's picked up exactly where he left off at the end of last year I know it's only one game so far but he still hasn't shown anything different in a long time. I think it's safe to say that after all of this time it's not an injury but rather something mental with him. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I really hope I'm wrong on Petie but my eye test says I'm not wrong. ie about his lack of engagement 

Where are the slap shots down the wing like the ones in his first year? He doesn’t get those separation plays anymore. It’s very concerning.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The Sedins didn't get paid until they did. When you make 11.6mil, you don't get to be free of criticism while you "put it together." Nobody here wants to give Petey a hard time. We want him to succeed. But his issue has been strength for 6 full years, and has done nothing about it. As far as I know he went from 165 at the draft to 178 I think he said a couple offseasons ago. Still almost a full 10 pounds lighter than Hogs, a guy he is like 5 inches taller than.

At some point it gets hard to believe Petey is ever going to actually address it. Willander is a teenager and he had more awareness at his draft about size. It was his whole reasoning for going to college. Petey plays timid cause he knows he's going to get trucked by literally everyone. But he wouldn't have to if he hit the weight room with some sort of intent. It just feels like he refuses to do it. And it's frustrating to watch. He'll probably smoke San Jose and Chicago for 4 points each and we'll forget though.

Who said they are free from criticism? I didn't. That's how you feel. I get it. You can feel that way. Have at 'er.

Guys mature. Things change. You need to leave room for that. That's how "putting it together" works and why people say that. 

The Sedins went five seasons and were close to being written off as busts before they "put it all together."

You don't have to believe, and that's ok. 

• Cheers 3