Vasily Podkolzin, Sheldon Dries, Akito Hirose among 20 players cut from Canucks training camp

Sophomore Jinx

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Those big matchups are what you have Cole and Hronek for. And I don't think any of our AHL'ers on the forward side would be an improvement in the roles Blueger and Suter will be playing. When you have players like Hoglander coming back in after some development, and others like McWard and DiGiuseppe finding spots, I think the mix is still pretty good while allowing players on the cusp to take another year to develop.

Outside of that, not sure of the chances someone like Woo or Rathbone getting claimed are. Less worried about Rathbone as he's organizational depth at this point vs really challenging for a spot, but Woo might still have a niche spot to fill we don't otherwise see in our young players and prospects.

Podkolzin is on the cusp, more mentally not quite having it right than anything else. I really hope he'll have a light bulb moment because he really is that close to being very effective on the NHL side of things.

With war in Ukraine, God knows what is going on in his head. 

9 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Rathbone isn't worth anything, imho. Seems like a great guy and all but he's shown very little to make him a plus asset. I'm guessing management has guaged any possible interest. 

Get a 7th rounder for him. At least it would be something.

4 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Story by Mike Gould, Canucksarmy

Vasily Podkolzin, Sheldon Dries, Akito Hirose among 20 players cut from Canucks training camp

The Vancouver Canucks announced 20 additional cuts to their training camp roster on Sunday morning.

Among them is Vasily Podkolzin, the Canucks’ 2019 first-round draft pick who split the 2022–23 season between Vancouver and the AHL’s Abbotsford Canucks.

All 20 players cut on Monday have been assigned to Abbotsford, although five of them will have to clear waivers first. Jett Woo, Matt Irwin, Sheldon Dries, Jack Rathbone, and Zach Sawchenko will all be made available to the NHL’s 31 other teams before they can report to the AHL.

Additionally, Chase Wouters, Quinn Schmiemann, and John Stevens had all been attending Canucks camp on professional tryout contracts while on AHL deals. They’ve been released from their PTOs to report to Abbotsford.

In addition to Podkolzin, the Canucks assigned the following 11 waiver-exempt players on NHL contracts directly to the AHL:

• Danila Klimovich
  • Aatu Räty
  • Max Sasson
  • Linus Karlsson
  • Arshdeep Bains
  • Tristen Nielsen
  • Josh Bloom
  • Aidan McDonough
  • Akito Hirose
  • Filip Johansson
  • Nikita Tolopilo

With these cuts, the Canucks now have 25 players remaining in their training camp:

Forwards (13): Anthony Beauvillier, Teddy Blueger, Brock Boeser, Phil Di Giuseppe, Conor Garland, Nils Höglander, Dakota Joshua, Andrei Kuzmenko, Ilya Mikheyev, J.T. Miller, Elias Pettersson, Jack Studnicka, Pius Suter.

Defencemen (9): Guillaume Brisebois, Ian Cole, Filip Hronek, Quinn Hughes, Noah Juulsen, Cole McWard, Tyler Myers, Carson Soucy, Christian Wolanin.

Goaltenders (3): Thatcher Demko, Casey DeSmith, Arturs Silovs.

Overall, it was an underwhelming training camp and preseason for the 22-year-old Podkolzin. Right from day one of camp, Podkolzin was given a golden opportunity to play alongside JT Miller and Brock Boeser, but just hasn’t looked comfortable this preseason.

Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet has spoken at length about how much he likes Podkolzin and admires his work ethic.

Earlier this week, we wrote about how playing in the AHL under the watchful eye of Jeremy Colliton and the rest of the coaching staff might be the best thing for Podkolzin to start this season, and it appears the Canucks felt the same way. You can read that piece by clicking here.

The article is wrong. There’s 26 players remaining. 

Nils Aman…

18 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

They might value the chance of keeping him more than a 7th round pick. Or maybe nobody was offering that kind of a pick. 

Still. I just don't like losing a player for nothing, even if it opens up a contract spot.

3 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Still. I just don't like losing a player for nothing, even if it opens up a contract spot.

I get it. Just hard to know exactly what conversations management is having. There are a lot of possibilities they might have explored.

• Cheers 1

Podkolzin really looks like a Russian Virtanen sometimes. All the tools but shows up out of shape and not ready. If the kid would just skate hard and start hitting RT would play him all the time. If this doesn’t light a fire under him then it’s about time to label him a bustaroo. 

5 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Podkolzin really looks like a Russian Virtanen sometimes. All the tools but shows up out of shape and not ready. If the kid would just skate hard and start hitting RT would play him all the time. If this doesn’t light a fire under him then it’s about time to label him a bustaroo. 

The kid just had a kid, but that's ultimately on him if he looks gassed.

Has Höglander actually looked good or were they just too scared to waive him?

10 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Pods came out of shape? Didn’t Tocchet say Pods was ripped and needed to take time off from training?

Pods problem is with confidence. He’s the opposite to Virtanen. Pods needs to go out and get boozed up and relax. He’d play great after a night of good boozing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Seventy7 said:

Poor Pods.  Might be KHL bound by next season. 

God I hope not. We all just need him to find a way to make it work, and put it all together here. And I know, easier said than done. I really hope he does put it all together.

14 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Interesting take after Tocchet publicly praised his work ethic and conditioning. He went on to say that he needs to work on his NHL-level hockey IQ and reads, or something along those lines.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The kid just had a kid, but that's ultimately on him if he looks gassed.

Has Höglander actually looked good or were they just too scared to waive him?

Hoglander has had a good camp. Still holds his stick too tight but I’ve seen improvements to his board play. He’ll be on the opening night roster 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pods came out of shape? Didn’t Tocchet say Pods was ripped and needed to take time off from training?

Pods problem is with confidence. He’s the opposite to Virtanen. Pods needs to go out and get boozed up and relax. He’d play great after a night of good boozing. 

Clearly I read something untrue (or equally likely drink too much and made up something) about him not being in shape. My bad. Maybe a night out boozing would help, he just doesn’t seem to use the tools that he has when they are desperately needed. 

27 minutes ago, TopChed said:

Ill be surprised if Dries clears. Hopefully Alvin can dumpster dive us some sand paper or make a trade our lack of grit is concerning. 

I'd be happy if he was claimed so we'd be guaranteed not to have to see him in the lineup.  He's absolutely useless.

• ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Clearly I read something untrue (or equally likely drink too much and made up something) about him not being in shape. My bad. Maybe a night out boozing would help, he just doesn’t seem to use the tools that he has when they are desperately needed. 

Pods is too wound up. He needs to relax and just play. A good nights boozing will help. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

That's what Joshua and Giuseppe are supposed to be.

Joshua can play that role in a pinch but we need more than Joshua and Miller. Guiseppe and Bains are good bottom 6ers but if teams starts cheepshoting our stars we don't have any recourse beyond please refs make them play nice.