[Speculation] Insider Confirms: Maple Leafs Looking to Trade Timothy Liljegren

RWJC

Insider Confirms: Maple Leafs Looking to Trade Timothy Liljegren

Dave Litman 

Wednesday, October 09, 2024 Toronto Maple Leafs

Despite signing a two-year, $6 million extension this past summer ($3M AAV), Timothy Liljeren's spot on the Toronto Maple Leafs blueline is anything but secure. And after his healthy scratch for opening night on Wednesday, the trade rumblings are getting louder. 

Hockey insider Elliotte Friedman of Sportnet has confirmed in his 32 Thoughts column that the Buds are looking to find a new home for Liljegren.

“Sounds like Toronto is working to find a landing spot for Timothy Liljegren. He’s down the depth chart, not a situation anyone is happy with.”

The third pairing for the Leafs consisted of Simon Benoit and Conor Timmins in the opener, Philippe Myers seems to be next in line, and we can assume that when Jani Hakanpaa is ready to come off LTIR likely 10 games into the season, Liljegren's spot on the depth chart will fall even further. 

In addition to Hakanpaa, Connor Dewar and Calle Jarnkrok will also be ready to return from LTIR at some point in the not too distant future, and some cap relief will be needed. Liljegren's $3 million off the books would certainly come in handy, as a starting point. 

“Everything can happen, right? I’m just trying to take it day by day. I know we got to make some changes, so we’ll see where it goes,” Liljegren said last week, per Terry Koshan of the Toronto Sun. “Trying to earn my spot. Haven’t really had that much flow in my game. I think it’s been OK, but not my best hockey.”

There was some trade talk as last season came to an end, and it was somewhat surprising when the RFA was signed to a two-year extension on June 30th. But now that $3 million cap hit will come in handy as a salary dump. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/10/insider-makes-it-official-maple-leafs.html

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Liljegren bio:

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=191378

You’d have to think we might be interested in him to a degree. 

25 yrs old, 3M per on a short 2 year deal, decent size, mobility and O potential. Would round out a 3rd line RD position in the event VD is reduced to rotation. 

Would prefer we trade for active roster players though rather than another team’s scratch if we do anything. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Deharnais for Lilijegren? 

Lilijegren does have more puck-moving skill in his game and if we are looking at potentially splitting up the Hughes/Hronek pair, Lilijegren might be an option to pair with Hughes and Hronek can be paird with Soucy.

This would leave Myers on the 3rd pair with Forbort (for now).

I can't see Toronto accepting this trade. I think the Leafs would want a draft pick and lower caphit contract back in return.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Lilijegren does have more puck-moving skill in his game and if we are looking at potentially splitting up the Hughes/Hronek pair, Lilijegren might be an option to pair with Hughes and Hronek can be paird with Soucy.

This would leave Myers on the 3rd pair with Forbort (for now).

I can't see Toronto accepting this trade. I think the Leafs would want a draft pick and lower caphit contract back in return.

I would have thought saving $1 million a season would be an actual incentive. 

• Like 1

Incremental upgrade at an incrementally bigger cap hit.  Not sure it really helps us enough to use one of our few trade/available cap hit bullets.

To make us significantly better, we need a partner for Hughes.  It doesn’t been to be someone who plays 25+ minutes a night as they wouldn’t do special teams minutes like Hughes does… but someone who can play 20-22 minutes a night in the stay at home role.

Hughes-XX

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

If we can accrue cap space by the deadline we should be able to find someone to do that.  We quite possibly will have an extra forward that is of interest to send back or middling prospect.  If we aren’t well in a playoff spot we probably have to try to do that by Christmas 

• Upvote 1

Who can we offer to bring in Liljegren??? I just can't see Desharnais starting all 82 games for us.... I mean, I really like his size and meanny gritty style against bigger, dirtier teams... but damn... the guy can't frigging carry the puck out and make some decent passes!! Basically we are paying the guy $2M to hit and fight.... only!

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Outsider Confirms: Nobody wants him

To think some people on here were touting him as a candidate to breakthrough into a top tier defender lmao.  You could tell he was only hanging on because he played for a measly shallow defence core in Toronto.  Most other teams in the league he'd be a bottom pair defender without question.

I think it all depends on the ask.

If he’s a 3/4 round pick then I’d hazard a chance on him. As some have said, pair him up the lineup with a defensive minded player like Soucy and you might actually realize value out of that Liljegren contract. Boost his value and create another tradeable asset. At very least it’s a little more O from back end which is what we will still need. D needs a little better balancing imho 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Goose said:

Nah, nope, no thanks.  Hes not going to make the Canucks better, defensively at least.

No he might not, but he does potentially provide something we lack which is transition and mobility on the back end now. Too early to suggest both Forbort and Vinny are mistakes, hardly the case, BUT we have the F on the 3rd and 4th lines who should be able to offset the number of legit chances we allow per game to opposition and that should assist our D a bit in terms of any problematic issues.

Liljegren still has upside. His contract is a little more than what he should be getting paid but he’s also a strong candidate with the right placement to push above his fair market value in return. I honestly believe we should still be looking to improve our D significantly by trade deadline, and taking a flyer on Liljegren in the interim to see what he can prove with our roster is hardly high risk. As mgmt explained, pair up Hronek on 2nd line and give the reigns, and move Liljegren to 1st to accompany QH and even absorb from, and perhaps we instantly create some major depth on our blue line with low up front expense. Caveat - what is TOR’s asking price. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

No he might not, but he does potentially provide something we lack which is transition and mobility on the back end now. Too early to suggest both Forbort and Vinny are mistakes, hardly the case, BUT we have the F on the 3rd and 4th lines who should be able to offset the number of legit chances we allow per game to opposition and that should assist our D a bit in terms of any problematic issues.

Liljegren still has upside. His contract is a little more than what he should be getting paid but he’s also a strong candidate with the right placement to push above his fair market value in return. I honestly believe we should still be looking to improve our D significantly by trade deadline, and taking a flyer on Liljegren in the interim to see what he can prove with our roster is hardly high risk. As mgmt explained, pair up Hronek on 2nd line and give the reigns, and move Liljegren to 1st to accompany QH and even absorb from, and perhaps we instantly create some major depth on our blue line with low up front expense. Caveat - what is TOR’s asking price. 

Still a big no from me.  He’s NOT a top 4 defensemen and definitely not needed in the bottom pairing.  The offense you “might” gain from him doesnt offset the defensive issues he would definitely add.  The Canucks dont need more soft players to take the next step.

I dont disagree in improving the defense though.  In an ideal world, the Canucks can add someone that moves Myers transition ability down to the third pairing, or acquire a 2 way player that can bring something similar in the bottom pairing.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I didn't even realize we signed Desharnais to a 2 year 2mil deal. Lol. Gross. But honestly, I don't think Liljegren would be much more of an upgrade. If you could even consider him an upgrade at all.

Deharnais is actually a very good player who will help us win. Littleman is pick suckingly bad. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Deharnais is actually a very good player who will help us win. Littleman is pick suckingly bad. 

Agreed, Desharnais will improve imo. He's still has a little shell shock from playing with Nurse. The coaches will get that out of his game. Hard no on Liljgren.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How much do you actually know about Liljegren other than he's on Toronto and everyone on Toronto sucks? He's 6'1, 200 pounds, blocked 116 shots in 55 games last year and had 92 hits. He's not small and doesn't even play small.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1