[Speculation] Insider Confirms: Maple Leafs Looking to Trade Timothy Liljegren

RWJC

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

How much do you actually know about Liljegren other than he's on Toronto and everyone on Toronto sucks? He's 6'1, 200 pounds, blocked 116 shots in 55 games last year and had 92 hits. He's not small and doesn't even play small.

For an nhl bottom pairing d in our system Little-man is tiny and he absolutely plays small. Deharnais is a much better fit for us. 
There is zero chance this management will have interest in such a player. 
Why in the heck do you think the Leafs are trying to dumperoo this guy? It’s because he’s craperolla. 
The Empties have imparted wisdom. Bow 🙇 

• Like 1

Place Demko and Joshua on LTIR for now. 

Assign Silovs to Abbotsford and re-call

Patera.

Trade Hirose and Friedman for Liljegren and re-call Brannstrom to pair with him.

Roll the rest of October and first week of November with..

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong

Hoglander - Raty - Garland

Suter - Blueger - Sherwood

Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Brannstrom - Liljegren 

Forbort - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Lankinen

Patera

Get it done Patrik!

• Confused 1

52 minutes ago, NM777 said:

Place Demko and Joshua on LTIR for now. 

Assign Silovs to Abbotsford and re-call

Patera.

Trade Hirose and Friedman for Liljegren and re-call Brannstrom to pair with him.

Roll the rest of October and first week of November with..

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

DeBrusk - Pettersson - Sprong

Hoglander - Raty - Garland

Suter - Blueger - Sherwood

Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Brannstrom - Liljegren 

Forbort - Myers

Soucy - Juulsen

Lankinen

Patera

Get it done Patrik!

9E4F6E06-F115-4500-A309-26ED8E5BD62D.gif.103de81cac2f6a230d568b7b73f7803c.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

For an nhl bottom pairing d in our system Little-man is tiny and he absolutely plays small. Deharnais is a much better fit for us. 
There is zero chance this management will have interest in such a player. 
Why in the heck do you think the Leafs are trying to dumperoo this guy? It’s because he’s craperolla. 
The Empties have imparted wisdom. Bow 🙇 

Is that the same wisdom/wizzzdumb that amongst other wondrous revelations recently opined the following:

-trade JTM for Kotkaniemi

-Lafreniere is a bust

-Byfield is a bust

I could list numerous others but those 3 alone place you in the Jim Benning Armchair GM Hall of Fame and Shame.

image.gif.4e2db4f18dc76c335a737dfa21f17d6a.gif

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The beauty of Alf’s Empties is there is constant replacement. 
image.jpeg.702f3863ad2ee202cc7a6d218fe56df0.jpeg

Live by the empties, die by the empties. Just make sure to pace yourself and stick around a while longer, Alien.

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

I'd be open for a Liljegren for Desharnais  trade. We take on 1 million more in cap, but get a player with more upside and better advance stats. 

Toronto I think would be open to it since they seem to want more size on D. Vancouver really needs a puck mover and he might be a fit for that. Could potentially play on the 2nd or 3rd pair. 

My only hesitation is moving on from Desharnais right away. He could be really solid if he finds a grove in Van (just unfortunate game 1 wasn't good). 

5 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I'd be open for a Liljegren for Desharnais  trade. We take on 1 million more in cap, but get a player with more upside and better advance stats. 

Toronto I think would be open to it since they seem to want more size on D. Vancouver really needs a puck mover and he might be a fit for that. Could potentially play on the 2nd or 3rd pair. 

My only hesitation is moving on from Desharnais right away. He could be really solid if he finds a grove in Van (just unfortunate game 1 wasn't good). 

the canucks wanted desharnais for a reason, they're not going to move him after one game. 

keep in mind, no player coming from the oilers is going to be decent defensively until they've had time to work with real coaches in a real system. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Need to give Desharnais some time to adjust.  

Remember, Myers was benched early last season too and went on to land 3rd highest TOI in the regular season. 

I also think Desharnais is still an option to move out if we add a D, but I’d want a better player than Liljegren. And I’d want, let us accrue some space to grease that wheel.  

I’m sorry we lost, but the team needs to make it work with this roster until some juicier fruit shakes loose later in the season.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Need to give Desharnais some time to adjust.  

Remember, Myers was benched early last season too and went on to land 3rd highest TOI in the regular season. 

I also think Desharnais is still an option to move out if we add a D, but I’d want a better player than Liljegren. And I’d want, let us accrue some space to grease that wheel.  

I’m sorry we lost, but the team needs to make it work with this roster until some juicier fruit shakes loose later in the season.

IMG_1758.gif.8be8f4c8be94a6158d6b8f786a5864d0.gif

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

How much do you actually know about Liljegren other than he's on Toronto and everyone on Toronto sucks? He's 6'1, 200 pounds, blocked 116 shots in 55 games last year and had 92 hits. He's not small and doesn't even play small.

You're painting him as a physical defensive defenseman. He's not. He's a transition guy with a bad first pass and frequent giveaways (yes, irony), who even though he has size and makes a hit every once in a while, loses pretty much every battle along the boards (more irony). If the team sees something more in him then I'll support it reluctantly, but he's legitimately not a good hockey player. With $3.5 million in dead cap and cup aspirations, this is NOT the gamble we should be making. 

Not to mention, we laugh at Toronto but their right side D depth isn't terrible. At least, it's not bad enough for Desharnais to move the needle unless Treliving goes bananas over size. What they need is a 3C, and unless you're willing to move Pius Suter and straining your forward core then you're not getting this guy. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

You're painting him as a physical defensive defenseman. He's not. He's a transition guy with a bad first pass and frequent giveaways (yes, irony), who even though he has size and makes a hit every once in a while, loses pretty much every battle along the boards (more irony). If the team sees something more in him then I'll support it reluctantly, but he's legitimately not a good hockey player. With $3.5 million in dead cap and cup aspirations, this is NOT the gamble we should be making. 

Not to mention, we laugh at Toronto but their right side D depth isn't terrible. At least, it's not bad enough for Desharnais to move the needle unless Treliving goes bananas over size. What they need is a 3C, and unless you're willing to move Pius Suter and straining your forward core then you're not getting this guy. 

I never said he was physical. I said he doesn't play small. There's a distinction.

3 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

Who realistically do you think would be at a similar price point and acquisition cost around the league that might suit us better?  Serious question. 

20 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Who realistically do you think would be at a similar price point and acquisition cost around the league that might suit us better?  Serious question. 

I’m not terribly interested in anything like that unless it’s a Lafferty type pickup, and even then cap has to go out in the form of waivers or trade. I would rather rotate Forbort, Desharnais, Juulsen, Friedman until December or so, and go hunting for a guy like Mario Ferraro, then look at Andersson at the TDL. 

• Cheers 1

Not saying we rush out to make an offer and I agree with letting the team gel together more, but his advance stats are quite good in the regular season. I have a feeling someone will make an offer for him. Maybe Utah or Buffalo. 

Timothy Liljegren may be on the trade block. Subject of a lot of consternation in TOR. Has always won his minutes handily in the regular season, including in a top four role last year. Always gets his minutes cut in the playoffs in favour of more physical D.

Edited by Bobby James
  • Cheers 1

On 10/10/2024 at 4:02 PM, fuzzy said:

Agreed, Desharnais will improve imo. He's still has a little shell shock from playing with Nurse. The coaches will get that out of his game. Hard no on Liljgren.

Desharenais is not a good damn, imo, and wouldn't be in the NHL if not for his size.

• ThereItIs 1

On 10/10/2024 at 1:49 PM, RWJC said:

I think it all depends on the ask.

If he’s a 3/4 round pick then I’d hazard a chance on him. As some have said, pair him up the lineup with a defensive minded player like Soucy and you might actually realize value out of that Liljegren contract. Boost his value and create another tradeable asset. At very least it’s a little more O from back end which is what we will still need. D needs a little better balancing imho 

I see the potential if paired with a defensive defenseman. But at $3M cap hit? I wouldn't do it.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Cap space is value. Only trade for Liljigren if you’re getting a pick back by helping out the Maple Leafs shed future cap. Liljigren and a 3rd round pick for Freidman.

And 50% retention on the Littleman. We need to bury his contract in the minors, where he belongs. 

On 10/11/2024 at 12:54 PM, Honkin Hronek said:

Conor Timmons is ahead of him and playing while Tim is in the press box.  Tim is Swedish, so you would think Allvin would be all over him if he was good.  At $3 million for two more years, we will have better options IMO.  Tocchet likes his defence big, so they are gonna roll with Desharnais for now and see what happens...

Other than the top 2 Ds in that 2017 draft, the 1st and 2nd round are full of dmen just like Liljigren.  They play

a bit of offense, but are dismal defensively.  Their numbers are uninspiring and their lack of development is

puzzling.  This team doesn't need Llljigren, when they already have Brannstrum.

• Cheers 2

On 10/10/2024 at 4:04 PM, JeremyCuddles said:

How much do you know about Alf. 

As bad as Descharnais is Liljegren is worse. 

If I had to wager a guess that Nashville series is the entire reason we got Descharnais. Huggy can't be the guy retrieving pucks in the corner. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1