[Speculation] Insider Confirms: Maple Leafs Looking to Trade Timothy Liljegren

RWJC

On 10/13/2024 at 1:37 PM, JeremyCuddles said:

Not sure how Desharnais helps recover pucks. Especially with Huggy. They don't play together. And the opposing team can decide which side of the ice to dump the puck to. They'll have no troubles targeting Huggy even with Desharnais on the ice. Guy was a healthy scratch 1 game after arriving here. Is Liljegren better? Who knows. But I don't think Desharnais is or ever was the answer for the Huggy retrieving pucks problem.

My thought exactly.  The first guy backs gets the puck, that ain't going to be Vinny.

On 10/13/2024 at 2:35 PM, RWJC said:

All due respect to Vinny, he’s still to learn how to integrate into a proper defensive structure. Forbort had the benefit of familiarity with something similar due to how BOS is coached. Could be much more to show from Vinny given time, not to mention Juulsen deserves playing time as well. 
I like that we have rotation over dependency. 

That said, folks need to realize that we absolutely require another D that ideally is a 2nd pairing and can push the lineup deeper. Ppl can shit all over Liljegren, but he is an option that could possibly come cheap and has underlying numbers that suggest he can play better than what he’s shown in TOR. Again - have to strongly consider the scheme a player has been playing under if their sample size is smallish. I’m not saying he’s an answer, and his role isn’t expected to play big like some people suggest we need. His role would be to assist the probabilities of generating offense off the backend, and being counterbalanced by a defensive oriented player. Now that we have Brannstrom I highly doubt we pursue Liljegren, but for folks to write off a player like him so early on in his career simply because he isn’t their prototypical design for our club, might be premature. 

I do have concerns about Desharnais. He's 28 and has yet to establish himself as an NHL regular. He made Edmonton's roster as their #6 d-man last season but was healthy scratched for the cup finals (and half the WCF). PA and JR took a gamble that he has more to give but this could end up looking similar to the Poolman contract. While $2M doesn't break the bank it is too much to be spending on a #7 defenseman. There is still a chance he could improve after some more time in our system though.

However, that said I don't think Desharnais is the weak link in our defense corps. That would be our 2nd pair like you alluded to. Both Myers and Soucy look great when their minutes are managed but over their careers both have shown a tendency to start making mistakes when their ice-time goes up. We do badly need another defenseman that can push one of them down the lineup. If not, there is a large chance they start to become an unreliable shutdown pair or we start overplaying Hughes leading to his fatigue and possibly even injury (knock on wood). We don't need a star, but just someone reliable that can help spread out the ice-time.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

I do have concerns about Desharnais. He's 28 and has yet to establish himself as an NHL regular. He made Edmonton's roster as their #6 d-man last season but was healthy scratched for the cup finals (and half the WCF). PA and JR took a gamble that he has more to give but this could end up looking similar to the Poolman contract. While $2M doesn't break the bank it is too much to be spending on a #7 defenseman. There is still a chance he could improve after some more time in our system though.

However, that said I don't think Desharnais is the weak link in our defense corps. That would be our 2nd pair like you alluded to. Both Myers and Soucy look great when their minutes are managed but over their careers both have shown a tendency to start making mistakes when their ice-time goes up. We do badly need another defenseman that can push one of them down the lineup. If not, there is a large chance they start to become an unreliable shutdown pair or we start overplaying Hughes leading to his fatigue and possibly even injury (knock on wood). We don't need a star, but just someone reliable that can help spread out the ice-time.

You think Myers and soucy are the weak link on a dcorp with Vincent Desharnais on it?

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

Edited by stawns

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

You think Myers and soucy are the weak link on a dcorp with Vincent Desharnais on it?

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

It's more about the impact. Yes, Desharnais is a worse player than Myers and Soucy. But, Desharnais is not going to be relied upon the same way Myers and Soucy are. It a domino affect thing, Myers and Soucy playing too much leads to mistakes; Desharnais playing more because we can't trust Myers/Soucy for all the heavy minutes probably makes him look worse than he is; Hughes playing more to cover for lack of depth makes him more fatigued and more likely to be injured. So yes, the weak link is the 2nd pair because it forces everything else to compensate.