[Speculation] Rags working to sign Lafreniere to eight year deal worth 8M+

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

If I had to guess it probably won't be much more than 8M, Lucas Raymond territory 

Same draft year, Raymond's produced more, but I guess Laf's proven enough to Rags management 

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Big change for a guy who was almost on the scrap pile a couple of years ago.

He was so close to being run out of town.

Most good young players I would want to lock up and get cost controlled.  This is such a limited sample that I wouldn’t be super confident that it is a permanent extra level.

Give us Trouba with 50% laundered through another team close to the deadline!  Still my dream deal to throw him with Hughes and solidify our defence.

If only he’d be willing to waive (or his wife gave him the ok hah)

Edited by RWJC

Risky, but could end up being a huge steal. He's probably a $6.5-$7.25M player currently, but I do think he has the potential to be an elite superstar with 100+ points.

always a player i wanted to buy low on. he had all the skills and talent but he was being badly miscast by all his previous coaches playing him like a 3rd/4th line grounder his first couple season with little to no PP time behind all their top 6. his offensive skills was put on full display when they moved him up and actually played him in a scoring role rather than a grinder.. who would have thought.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, RWJC said:

If only he’d be willing to waive (or his wife gave him the ok hah)

He only has a limited NTC, so who knows if we are on the list.  The idea of going for just a couple months may be different than an entire season.

• Like 1

Seravelli also suggested Pettersson was going to get done much higher than things transpired.

Rangers don't make an 8m or more per deal unless they've secured additional trade assurances from other areas of their club.

I see a deal coming down more in the Quinton Byfield range to be honest.

22 hours ago, Provost said:

Big change for a guy who was almost on the scrap pile a couple of years ago.

He was so close to being run out of town.

Most good young players I would want to lock up and get cost controlled.  This is such a limited sample that I wouldn’t be super confident that it is a permanent extra level.

Give us Trouba with 50% laundered through another team close to the deadline!  Still my dream deal to throw him with Hughes and solidify our defence.

You realize Trouba in a Canucks jersey = electric chair if not life without parole.

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

You realize Trouba in a Canucks jersey = electric chair if not life without parole.

Our #7 Juulsen makes an ill-timed hit ONCE in the pressure of playoff hockey (I know he had done it before) and he can’t live it down among us fans. Imagine Trouba taking runs at guys and penalties here - yeesh. He is the pinnacle of old school bruiser fans who want him for intimidation and the antithesis to what new gen hockey promotes and fans will quickly clamour to call it careless plays made. His style, for all that it can bring to a team, would probably be stifled in our system and if that’s the case - what’s the point?

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Our #7 Juulsen makes an ill-timed hit ONCE in the pressure of playoff hockey (I know he had done it before) and he can’t live it down among us fans. Imagine Trouba taking runs at guys and penalties here - yeesh. He is the pinnacle of old school bruiser fans who want him for intimidation and the antithesis to what new gen hockey promotes and fans will quickly clamour to call it careless plays made. His style, for all that it can bring to a team, would probably be stifled in our system and if that’s the case - what’s the point?

That is weird since the prevailing sentiment about Juulsen on this forum is almost universally very positive.  Many folks (including myself) wondered why we signed Myers and Desharnais when Juulsen appeared ready for a full-time NHL gig.

Also, the fans were almost universally enamoured of Zadorov who was much more known for getting out of position for hits than Trouba.  Trouba has been a legit too pairing D for a long time and Zadorov was a 3rd pairing version of the same sort of player.

The Canucks system and brass clearly love big physical D, so no idea why one would think Trouba wouldn’t fit that bill.   They tried really hard to re-sign Zadorov and then signed similar style players in Forbort, and Desharnais.

18 hours ago, spook007 said:

2 years ago he was almost a throw in, if we traded for Schneider

Too bad they didn't

I don't think Lafreniere was involved in that deal.

What I heard was Chytil + one of Lundqvist/Schneider + 1

• Cheers 1