Aatu Räty | #54 | C

Jess

• 2 weeks later...

I think this guy is a real NHL deal, injury call up this year and a full timer next? 
I wouldn't want to mess with the chemistry of that 3rd line in Vancouver just yet, but Raty is a middle sixer all day long. That likely means 3 C or 2nd line winger, depending on the coach's needs. Perhaps he can even push for a 4th line role with the way his 200 foot game has rounded out. I am not homer enough to think he can be a Henrik Sedin out there, but he can be a reliable regular with a whole lot of upside. 

EDIT: Homer version (like my frosted side, hehe) Maybe he earns a wing spot with Debrusk and Petey out of camp pushing sprong down the depth chart to flesh out a killer fourth line. "when Raty was on the ice, Abbotsford scored 59% of the goals, which is 9.7% higher than when he was not on the ice."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another recent article on Raty (Faber).  His faceoff percentage was at 55% last season and

there's a great video example how he switches to his right side when it's at his advantage;

he does it very quickly, which looks a bit confusing for the opposition player.

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/building-blue-young-but-experienced-aatu-raty-prepares-for-biggest-season-of-his-young-career

Aatu Raty's 'huge strides' reigniting hype around Canucks' former top prospect

After splitting his first season in North America between the NHL and the American Hockey League in 2022-23, he spent all of last year in the minors quietly building his game. Raty had 18 goals and 52 points for the Abbotsford Canucks.

A prodigy in Finland, where he turned pro at 16 and made his country’s world junior team as a 17-year-old, Raty is still only 21. It merely feels like he has been around a long time and that his best-before date may already be approaching.  Forgetting about Aatu Raty would be foolish.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/aatu-ratys-huge-strides-reigniting-hype-around-canucks-former-top-prospect/

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion, but watching him at the Young Stars, with his experience, I expected more from him and was quite disappointed. He made some awful passes, lazy play, and even was giving it to one of his teammates.  I'm not sure if he will turn out TBH.

He looks ready to challenge for a spot on the big club.  But it won't be 13th forward:  they'd send him down to keep playing instead.  He'll be in tough to displace Blueger or Suter at centre this year and we're full up for wingers.  Looks like first injury call up to me. 

19 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

He looks ready to challenge for a spot on the big club.  But it won't be 13th forward:  they'd send him down to keep playing instead.  He'll be in tough to displace Blueger or Suter at centre this year and we're full up for wingers.  Looks like first injury call up to me. 

This, he's pretty damn close but won't unseat blueger and suter.  Expect he should play atleast 20 games in nhl this year.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, flat land fish said:

This, he's pretty damn close but won't unseat blueger and suter.  Expect he should play atleast 20 games in nhl this year.

The issue Raty has before him is simple.  

Petey

Miller

Suter

Bluegar

Aman

And we have not just Raty but Sasson challenging for a spot that isn't there.  Aman will be 13th forward before Raty or Sasson.  Suter does play Wing but we are potentially overstocked there too with Bains and Karlsson exactly where Sasson and Raty are.  

When will we play a few younger players to leave more cap for others......why do we need Sprong and Blais?  When we have 4 of our own developed forwards on the cusp.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Petey

Miller

Suter

Bluegar

Aman

And we have not just Raty but Sasson challenging for a spot that isn't there.  Aman will be 13th forward before Raty or Sasson.  Suter does play Wing but we are potentially overstocked there too with Bains and Karlsson exactly where Sasson and Raty are.  

When will we play a few younger players to leave more cap for others......why do we need Sprong and Blais?  When we have 4 of our own developed forwards on the cusp.  

This management group creates true competition for our prospects to push through to play on the big club. If a prospect earns a spot then management will move out one of those cheaper experienced guys. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can a spot opening up for Raty now with Joshua news

Raty - Blueger - Garland

Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood

Extra: Aman, PDG

Tocc likes to have 2 centers on each line when possible and Raty in my opinion I can see fitting on a line with Blueg and Gar.

If this kid really always first in line for drills and has exceptional work ethic than with his improved skating this weekend year Tocc may give him a shot

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Petey

Miller

Suter

Bluegar

Aman

Sprong has some real top 6 potential with his offensive game and is on a cheap, show me

contract. Blais is a PTO, who is unlikely to make the team.

Sasson and Raty both have 1 more year left on waivers, so they would have to outplay

a roster player to make the team.  They will likely get injury callups during the season.

Another season (along with NHL opportunities) won't hurt either of them; especially

Raty, as he is a couple of years younger than Sasson.  I don't see a huge increase in

their RFA contracts, so they will still be cap relief if/when they make the team next season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

This management group creates true competition for our prospects to push through to play on the big club. If a prospect earns a spot then management will move out one of those cheaper experienced guys. 

The management group created false competition and near impossible situations for any young forward to make the team.  And they have to outplay 5 or 6 older players to have a chance at developing into NHL players because they need NHL experience to develop into more useful NHL players.  

1 hour ago, kettlevalley said:

The management group created false competition and near impossible situations for any young forward to make the team.  And they have to outplay 5 or 6 older players to have a chance at developing into NHL players because they need NHL experience to develop into more useful NHL players.  

I hear what you're saying but I guess there's always the tension between giving the young players a chance vs icing the best roster you reasonably expect to be able to create.

As a fan, I'm all for the Canucks giving their young players a chance, but I think there's also a genuine concern about gifting young players opportunities merely because they were drafted. I think using the AHL as a developmental league to build up players' fundamentals and confidence makes a lot of sense rather than bringing up young players to the NHL early. Leveraging waiver exempt years to develop young players makes sense to me.

It's a difficult balance to find and the Canucks haven't had much of a balance for a long time. If there's anything encouraging about this management group so far, it's that they haven't really been signing the kind of longer term contracts for bottom 6 players that served as even larger impediments to young players making the jump. The Canucks' signing of longer term deals with Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel under the previous regime had that kind of effect.

I don't mind management signing 1-2 year, near league minimum deals for veterans they are genuinely better (or more trustworthy) than a younger player who may have played well but is still not trustworthy enough (even as a role player). For example, Kiefer Sherwood is a genuinely good bottom 6 forward who plays in a way that the Canucks lack amongst their prospects. He's probably going to be an NHL 4th liner and would technically be taking an opportunity from someone like Linus Karlsson, but would I rather have Sherwood or Karlsson? Definitely Sherwood. Similar issue with Daniel Sprong, although Karlsson may have a bit more of a leg up on Sprong as far as defensive play is concerned. If any of the free agents get outplayed in training camp, then great, waiving them should be less painful.

• ThereItIs 1

58 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I hear what you're saying but I guess there's always the tension between giving the young players a chance vs icing the best roster you reasonably expect to be able to create.

As a fan, I'm all for the Canucks giving their young players a chance, but I think there's also a genuine concern about gifting young players opportunities merely because they were drafted. I think using the AHL as a developmental league to build up players' fundamentals and confidence makes a lot of sense rather than bringing up young players to the NHL early. Leveraging waiver exempt years to develop young players makes sense to me.

It's a difficult balance to find and the Canucks haven't had much of a balance for a long time. If there's anything encouraging about this management group so far, it's that they haven't really been signing the kind of longer term contracts for bottom 6 players that served as even larger impediments to young players making the jump. The Canucks' signing of longer term deals with Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussel under the previous regime had that kind of effect.

I don't mind management signing 1-2 year, near league minimum deals for veterans they are genuinely better (or more trustworthy) than a younger player who may have played well but is still not trustworthy enough (even as a role player). For example, Kiefer Sherwood is a genuinely good bottom 6 forward who plays in a way that the Canucks lack amongst their prospects. He's probably going to be an NHL 4th liner and would technically be taking an opportunity from someone like Linus Karlsson, but would I rather have Sherwood or Karlsson? Definitely Sherwood. Similar issue with Daniel Sprong, although Karlsson may have a bit more of a leg up on Sprong as far as defensive play is concerned. If any of the free agents get outplayed in training camp, then great, waiving them should be less painful.

There are 4 forwards I listed plus Lekkerimaki to make 5.  I am not talking about gifting a player a spot at all.  Remember we already dealt Pods because they didn't think he would make the team.  

How many forwards are between those 5 and the NHL?  

Miller

Petey 

Suter

Bleugar

Aman

Debrusk

Boeser

Heinen

Sprong

Sherwood

Garland

Joshua (who doesn't sound like he will be at camp but may be ready for the season)

PDG

Hoglander

Blais

So if everyone is healthly two of those guys don't make the team without any of the young guys coming into contention.  

12 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Petey

Miller

Suter

Bluegar

Aman

Suter has this year left on his contract, an extension will depend on how far along Raty comes.  Blueger is really a 4th line centre. Raty has a clear path to the #3 centre spot.  The Canucks will continue to replace older players with newer ones.  There has been a lot of turn over since Rutherford and Allvin took over. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

I don't quite agree with that

You're assuming injuries don't happen. Training camp hasn't even started and Joshua and Blueger are currently out.

There's a very good chance that the next wave - Bains, Karlsson, Raty, Samson- will get NHL games this year.

Sprong is also not penciled in the line up and neither is PDG.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

You're assuming injuries don't happen. Training camp hasn't even started and Joshua and Blueger are currently out.

There's a very good chance that the next wave - Bains, Karlsson, Raty, Samson- will get NHL games this year.

Raty definitely looks ready for the National League. Could he play bottom six centre until Bluegar comes back? 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Raty definitely looks ready for the National League. Could he play bottom six centre until Bluegar comes back? 

Raty is close for sure.  We don't really know how close until we increase the difficulty of competition.  But Bains/Karlsson were really close last year and got NHL games.   To me Raty is top 9.  Bains can play anywhere in the lineup.  Karlsson will always be bottom 6 I think.  Lekkerimäki is top 6.  Maybe top 9.  

At least these kids will get chances in scrimmages and preseason.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bh90 said:

My sleeper in this camp is Blais. Don't know why, but, I have a feeling he might be this years Rafferty.

• Cheers 1

I respectfuly don't agree about the NHL being a development league for prospects. Maybe on a 'rebuilding' team, but not on a team that now aspires to compete like ours. 

Our prospects now need to create a clear separation from those squad players who are on the ~1M contracts. I think some people also need to be prepared to see half of our 'blue chip' prospects traded this season if they can't clearly claim a squad place.  Its the management teams M.O to build a winner - and you would have probably seen that happen already if it wasn't for having to eat the OEL buyout.  

Back to Raty - I've been closely following the kid since his draft, and was a huge advocate of us trying to snag him when he fell massively in his draft year.  He's got a lot of real qualities as a player, and I still believe that after watching him last year in Abbo. 

However... after his Young Stars showing I'm still not convinced he has made the improvements over the summer to really claim that place this year. His foot speed really didn't look where it needed to be still. To play at his best he needs to be a Bo, JT Miller type player who both developed that breakaway foot speed. Even Aman who is the player Raty needs to target for a spot is noticeably faster still.  Bo put in some serious work that one summer to lose weight and work on his technique and turn that strength into a weakness. I don't think the same is true for Raty at this point.  

That aside he does have excellent strength, vision, an underrated shot and face-off ability. He will have to provide some offense in the preseason to make his case for a spot above the other players, barring strategic injuries of course. That was something he failed to do at the Young Stars, even playing on a stacked line - that was a tournament beneath him so to speak so I'm not writing off this chances just yet - I think he's far from a lock tho sadly, as I'm really routing for the kid. 

If Blais is over his injury worries I can see him getting a contract for sure. That guy is 100% a Toch player, I remember him on the blues team where he was an absolute pest, hard to play against and tons of energy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1