Aatu Räty | #54 | C

Jess

Looks like depending on teddy blueger he could make it difficult for the team to send him down.

but I think it will be best.

i really want him to spend some time with manny and dominate the ahl a little. 

but I could see him joining our team later I. The season and sticking.

the fact he’s improved his skating, and is a faceoff ace who takes right side draws as his strong side left handed is also a huge asset to our team.

having him and Lekkeriamki showing they are ready or fringe ready to make the jump is incredibly encouraging 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

I think the key with young players is finding consistency. Any player can look great for a few weeks and then fall off a cliff ( PDG last year for example). He'll need to show consistent effort, details, compete,and results. Once the coaches are confident he can sustain that level he'll be on the team. He's close

On 9/25/2024 at 8:06 AM, fuzzy said:

I think the key with young players is finding consistency. Any player can look great for a few weeks and then fall off a cliff ( PDG last year for example). He'll need to show consistent effort, details, compete,and results. Once the coaches are confident he can sustain that level he'll be on the team. He's close

in fairness to PDG, he didnt fall of the cliff, he is a journeyman hockey player who for a little while performed above expectations. I attribute that to the coach and players around him. I wouldn't mind if he didn't make this years team. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2024 at 7:52 AM, R3aL said:

Looks like depending on teddy blueger he could make it difficult for the team to send him down.

but I think it will be best.

i really want him to spend some time with manny and dominate the ahl a little. 

but I could see him joining our team later I. The season and sticking.

the fact he’s improved his skating, and is a faceoff ace who takes right side draws as his strong side left handed is also a huge asset to our team.

having him and Lekkeriamki showing they are ready or fringe ready to make the jump is incredibly encouraging 

If Raty keeps it up in the dot, thats how he makes the team. Its that Malhotra effect, was a faceoff stud in the 2011 team, teaching him tricks of the trade. Correct me if im mistaken but when Malhotra was the asst. coach for the Laffs, they were in the top 10 in faceoffs as well

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, filthy animal said:

If Raty keeps it up in the dot, thats how he makes the team. Its that Malhotra effect, was a faceoff stud in the 2011 team, teaching him tricks of the trade. Correct me if im mistaken but when Malhotra was the asst. coach for the Laffs, they were in the top 10 in faceoffs as well

I don’t believe they’ve really spent much time together yet though but I do like the idea of raty spending time with him and playing centre in abby since he played wing. Mostly last year

and he’s always been pretty good in the dot I think 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Raty starts as our 3C. He’s going to be responsible for most D zone draws on the right side. He will pk too. He’s already a better defender than Horfat Wallet. Great trade by our great GM!

Raty has really impressed me. A lot like Horfat Wallet in his younger years. Big knock was the skating and now look how much better he looks. He's able to get to pucks quicker and get opportunities he didn't before. This trade is huge for us if Raty becomes a bonified 3C. Hronek + Raty for Wallet is a fleece! 

We desperately need players on ELC's coming up to fill the gap of OEL buyout. 

Lekky

Bains

Raty 

Silovs

These 4 should all be regulars by next season, when the buyout really starts to hurt! And to boot, they will all be more than ready and not forced to fill spots!

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Raty has really impressed me. A lot like Horfat Wallet in his younger years. Big knock was the skating and now look how much better he looks. He's able to get to pucks quicker and get opportunities he didn't before. This trade is huge for us if Raty becomes a bonified 3C. Hronek + Raty for Wallet is a fleece! 

Lekky

Bains

Raty 

Silovs

These 4 should all be regulars by next season, when the buyout really starts to hurt! And to boot, they will all be more than ready and not forced to fill spots!

Nice having competent management who can plan beyond the day to day living of the previous regime. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Lekky

Bains

Raty 

Silovs

Don't forget Willander and guys like EP2, Karlsson, Sasson who are on the cusp

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Karlsson I think will overtake Bains and be that call up guy during the season. Sasson has looked decent so far

Scouts know what they’re doing, especially collectively. There are reasons why guys like Bains (who put up big numbers in junior) aren’t drafted. For Bains to be an NHLer he will need to add being hard to play against to his game, which includes a heavy forecheck, fighting, and being a pest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Scouts know what they’re doing, especially collectively. There are reasons why guys like Bains (who put up big numbers in junior) aren’t drafted. For Bains to be an NHLer he will need to add being hard to play against to his game, which includes a heavy forecheck, fighting, and being a pest. 

Bains also needs to lower the brain fart per 60. I'm not convinced he'll ever be a regular NHL player.

Raty looks like he belongs so far. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the last two games.

3 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Karlsson I think will overtake Bains and be that call up guy during the season. Sasson has looked decent so far

I like his game, and he's shown more than Blais has so far. I'm going with Karlsson and Sasson as forward callups. With JL being the guy who gets permanently called up around the 4 Nation Series.

16 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I like his game, and he's shown more than Blais has so far. I'm going with Karlsson and Sasson as forward callups. With JL being the guy who gets permanently called up around the 4 Nation Series.

Lekkerimaki will start on the big club. Tocchet prefers guys who play the right way with and especially without the puck. Raty and Lekkerimaki are both smart defensively. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Bains also needs to lower the brain fart per 60. I'm not convinced he'll ever be a regular NHL player.

Raty looks like he belongs so far. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the last two games.

Bains might become a NHL player if he can make a roster and stick long enough to settle in. His progress in the AHL should not be overlooked. If he starts strong in Abby he might pull through. More the question of whether he can crack a Canuck lineup with the talent already there and a win now window. He might be an option if CAP becomes an issue. Karlsson and Sasson are right there as well.  

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Bains might become a NHL player if he can make a roster and stick long enough to settle in. His progress in the AHL should not be overlooked. If he starts strong in Abby he might pull through. More the question of whether he can crack a Canuck lineup with the talent already there and a win now window. He might be an option if CAP becomes an issue. Karlsson and Sasson are right there as well.  

I just can't see a top 6 role for him in the NHL but as Alf said if he can start to add other elements maybe he could be bottom 6? 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Zero chance Bains plays in the National league unless he changes his game. He’s not skilled enough to be a skilled guy. He either becomes hard to play against or his career will be as a minor leaguer and in Europe. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Zero chance Bains plays in the National league unless he changes his game. He’s not skilled enough to be a skilled guy. He either becomes hard to play against or his career will be as a minor leaguer and in Europe. 

Yes. He’s not suited to a specific role like Räty (whose obvious upside is becoming more apparent each time he plays), does not have the outright NHL wheels and consistent energy that Sasson exhibits and does not bring a sturdy NHL frame and proven ability to play safe bottom six minutes like Aman.

I just don’t see a player who pushes the needle nor one who is a viable replacement for anyone currently top six or even bottom six. Otherwise a nice player who will lead Abby in scoring this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Yes. He’s not suited to a specific role like Räty (whose obvious upside is becoming more apparent each time he plays), does not have the outright NHL wheels and consistent energy that Sasson exhibits and does not bring a sturdy NHL frame and proven ability to play safe bottom six minutes like Aman.

I just don’t see a player who pushes the needle nor one who is a viable replacement for anyone currently top six or even bottom six. Otherwise a nice player who will lead Abby in scoring this year.

Exactly. The AHL is not an easy league. To be a really good player at that level is pretty damn impressive. Nothing at all wrong with that kind of career for Bains. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I will be shocked if Raty is overlooked for a spot in the starting lineup. 

Agreed. You’d really have to make a strong case against it at this point. That’s an NHL player I’m watching, more so than any other Abby prospect. I think his position and faceoff acumen gives him a leg up on players like PDG and N Aman  (not that I don’t like an appreciate those guys).

Räty is more important to the future of this club and I think for his personal growth, officially making this team will play a large role in him flourishing as a player. Not that he’d sulk getting sent back down but, from my observations, he exemplifies the the young prospect who has done everything asked of him in preseason and training camp, and has forced himself upon management to be included in the final roster. His time is now and if it isn’t, I’d like to know when it is.

Edited by Zimmyparttwo

1 hour ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Are you hiring?...Cash register stealer! Times is hard..

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Agreed. You’d really have to make a strong case against it at this point. That’s an NHL player at this point, more so than any other Abby prospect. I think his position and faceoff acumen gives him a leg up on players like PDG and N Aman  (not that I don’t like an appreciate those guys).

Räty is more important to the future of this club and I think for his personal growth, officially making this team will play a large role in him flourishing as a player. Not that he’d sulk getting sent back down but, from my observations, he exemplifies the the young prospect who has done everything asked of him in preseason and training camp, and has forced himself upon management to be included in the final roster. His time is now and if it isn’t, I’d like to know when it is.

I also think we can safely stop the PTO efforts, as that player is not going to have a spot on the club. I guess being fair to him and giving him his games in the preseason is nice, but this is a team with a focus and being nice to guys not on the team shouldn't be that focus. 

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I also think we can safely stop the PTO efforts, as that player is not going to have a spot on the club. I guess being fair to him and giving him his games in the preseason is nice, but this is a team with a focus and being nice to guys not on the team shouldn't be that focus. 

He can still play himself into the equation by standing out in Abby. I’m convinced this was the plan all along.

• Cheers 1