Aatu Räty | #54 | C

Jess

He is really becoming what was hoped of him in his draft year. It takes time to adjust and he’s showing why he is a highly regarded prospect. Another half a season in the AHL and my guess is he could be up as soon as the trade deadline next year. And even better he blows down the door in camp and gives us some cap flexibility next year 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Last three games for Raty: 3 g 1a,  1 a, 1g 3a, total 4 g 5 a. Making that Horvat trade look better by the day. F this kid works out, he could make re-signing Lindholm superfluous - huge cap saving to cover Hronek and maybe Zadorov. Give us another year to bring on Lekkerimaki and Wellander.. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Aatu Raty is nearly cooked.  Hopefully he can battle for a spot at camp next year.  The kids are coming.  

He has the skills to make the NHL, just needs more consistency to his game but that can be said about most of the players on the Abby team. The drastic difference in the outcomes in back to back games is proof of that. That must drive the coaches crazy and they seem to be at a loss as to how to change the mindset that is causing that.

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The AHL is not the NHL.

Still not gonna get my hopes up until this kid can find his footing for a season or two.  Ala Hoggy

He's been one of Abby's best players since he got to Van.  Probably their most complete player 

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I know he got hot earlier in the year on the wing. Is he still on the wing or is he back in the middle?? Would be huge if he was able to be our future 3C. Guy is a very good 200ft player

He's been on the wing, largely because he's the most versatile of the C's and could most easily make that transition.  As Colliton has said, hr considers any line Raty plays w on to be a 2 centre line with both Raty and the C both taking on centre responsibilities

1 hour ago, stawns said:

He's been on the wing, largely because he's the most versatile of the C's and could most easily make that transition.  As Colliton has said, hr considers any line Raty plays w on to be a 2 centre line with both Raty and the C both taking on centre responsibilities

You keep saying this, but I don't buy it.  If Raty was truly one of the stronger centres on the team, he would be played at centre.  Centre position is WAY more important than a winger position.  It's like saying because Miller is the most versatile centre we have (and he probably is), we would move him to the wing to accommodate Suter to play in the centre position instead.  Makes ZERO sense. 

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You keep saying this, but I don't buy it.  If Raty was truly one of the stronger centres on the team, he would be played at centre.  Centre position is WAY more important than a winger position.  It's like saying because Miller is the most versatile centre we have (and he probably is), we would move him to the wing to accommodate Suter to play in the centre position instead.  Makes ZERO sense. 

I'm just saying what colliton has said publically over the season

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

it seems like they seem him more as a versatile 3rd line presence, whether its on the wing or playing C. Pairing him with Suter next year might be the plan and give the Canucks two solid options. Maybe put Podz there too. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's he gonna say though?  Raty isn't as good as a centre, so we moved him to the wing? lol.  Actions speak way louder than words when it comes to moving a centre to the wing position.  You know it, I know it, we all know it.  Centres stay as a centre if they are good at it.  It's WAY easier to find wingers than centres for a reason.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it seems like they seem him more as a versatile 3rd line presence, whether its on the wing or playing C. Pairing him with Suter next year might be the plan and give the Canucks two solid options. Maybe put Podz there too. 

I think he's definitely going to be an NHL C........we have to remember that he's only 21

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

What's he gonna say though?  Raty isn't as good as a centre, so we moved him to the wing? lol.  Actions speak way louder than words when it comes to moving a centre to the wing position.  You know it, I know it, we all know it.  Centres stay as a centre if they are good at it.  It's WAY easier to find wingers than centres for a reason.

Colliton, like RT, doesn't mince words.  He's been very clear about that move and Raty's role on the team.  

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I think he's definitely going to be an NHL C........we have to remember that he's only 21

he was good in a small sample of face-offs, not sure what his AHL stats are in that regard.

Dunno, if we end up with a 3C/W out of it, I'm happy. Turning Horvat into that, Zad and Hronek was pretty darn good imo. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Colliton, like RT, doesn't mince words.  He's been very clear about that move and Raty's role on the team.  

That's fine, you can believe his words all you want.  I've learned that actions speak a lot louder than words. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

he was good in a small sample of face-offs, not sure what his AHL stats are in that regard.

Dunno, if we end up with a 3C/W out of it, I'm happy. Turning Horvat into that, Zad and Hronek was pretty darn good imo. 

His small sample from the ahl last season was 54% in the dot.  I can't really find face off statx for him for 23-24

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

And might not yet be done with hronek up in the air.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

45 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Miller didn't even play as a full time centre until he arrived in Vancouver in his mid twenties.  He was a winger most of his career.  Your logic doesn't make sense because the guys that are playing centre in Abby can't play the wing as effectively as they've never done it.  Raty is the most versatile player in Abby and they want him on the top line.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Miller didn't even play as a full time centre until he arrived in Vancouver in his mid twenties.  He was a winger most of his career.  Your logic doesn't make sense because the guys that are playing centre in Abby can't play the wing as effectively as they've never done it.  Raty is the most versatile player in Abby and they want him on the top line.

No he didn't play centre until he was put there and excelled at it.  The Canucks would never move one of their top 2 centres to the wing just because they're more versatile at it.  Not many centres on this planet would have trouble transitioning to wing if called upon.  If Raty was a strong centre, they'd have him the middle no different than the Canucks with Miller and Petey.  Miller and Petey are the strongest centres, and so they stay as centres.  They've moved Suter to the wing, they've had Lindholm play wing, they have Lafferty on the wing, etc.

What I'm saying is, if Raty is one of the top 2 centres on Abby, he'd be playing centre.  Makes no sense to play a weaker centre in the middle just because a better centre may be more versatile.  Centre is the most important forward position.

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

No he didn't play centre until he was put there and excelled at it.  The Canucks would never move one of their top 2 centres to the wing just because they're more versatile at it.  Not many centres on this planet would have trouble transitioning to wing if called upon.  If Raty was a strong centre, they'd have him the middle no different than the Canucks with Miller and Petey.  Miller and Petey are the strongest centres, and so they stay as centres.  They've moved Suter to the wing, they've had Lindholm play wing, they have Lafferty on the wing, etc.

What I'm saying is, if Raty is one of the top 2 centres on Abby, he'd be playing centre.  Makes no sense to play a weaker centre in the middle just because a better centre may be more versatile.  Centre is the most important forward position.

Doesn’t the Lotto line consist of Miller and Petey?  Aren’t they both centres?  if so, who was playing the wing?

Also, Wouters isn’t a winger, he’s too small.  He is a natural centre and they prefer the big body on the wing.  Colliton already explained this, so not sure why you are trying to question the coach of the team and calling him a liar.  Put your ego aside on this one and take the L.  We can’t all win every debate…

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Haha 1