[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

11 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

You can't read between lines? There's an insightful man there that fools can't discern.

I see Stawns just made my point but as I'd already take the time to type:.

One problem with playing the fool 95% of the time is that even fairly clever people have to struggle to spot the 5% serious. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Satchmo said:

I see Stawns just made my point but as I'd already take the time to type:.

One problem with playing the fool 95% of the time is that even fairly clever people have to struggle to spot the 5% serious. 

I can see the 5%, I just don't want to waste my energy wading through the other 95%

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He’s just not a top 6. He’s probably trying to do things that he wouldn’t normally cause he’s in that role.

He needs to be on the fourth line. That’s where he should have always been pencilled in.

Put Suter back with Miller and Boeser until Debrusk eventually gets put there.

2.2 to play on the 4th line? Shades of Roussel,Beagle!!! I'd rather pay Bains 850k

Edited by Outsiders

Id like to see Hoagie or Garland get a look w Petey/Debrusk.  Sprong is there for that elite finishing ability but if they cant get him the puck there’s no point.  I think Debrusk would thrive having another worker bee w him that can also make plays.

Interview w Desharnais was good too.  Ive seen snippets of work where I think he can be a solid (defensive) contributor on the back end

42 minutes ago, Islandfan27 said:

Sounds like really good news on Myers,  just have concerns about the time frame   on how long  anyone on here has had tendinitis  and is 8 years average?   Very scary and sad contract

Tendinitis can be really nasty. Both in pain that limits the movement of a joint/appendage and in the time required to heal. I was in an extensive physio and pain management program for 4 months to enable returning to work at a greatly reduced level. Even then,  relapse was always one motion away. 

All in all it took the  better part of 18 months to regain full strength and confidence in the tendons. I’m in good health but was older than these athletes at the time so healing was slower than that of  a younger man.

Pain is a complex issue and the brain actually forms paths after months of chronic pain and you may feel pain when technically there is none. 

If Pettersson had a mild tendinitis in his arm/wrist/elbow and it was allowed to persist, ie: play through it, it would not surprise me in the least if he  is struggling with pain at times. 

The doctors and therapists are not infallible. Wouldn’t be the first time an athlete received poor guidance in overcoming injury. Vancouver’s track record in this area is suspect for sure. 

Eta… If he has pain it’s odd that the cameras don’t seem to catch him grimacing now and then. Tendinitis will definitely cause a person to express pain on their face when it’s aggravated.

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Goose said:

Id like to see Hoagie or Garland get a look w Petey/Debrusk.  Sprong is there for that elite finishing ability but if they cant get him the puck there’s no point.  I think Debrusk would thrive having another worker bee w him that can also make plays.

Interview w Desharnais was good too.  Ive seen snippets of work where I think he can be a solid (defensive) contributor on the back end

Imo, neither Petey nor Debrusk are puck retrievers and, when putting lines together, you need to have a puck retriever on every line.

In Petey's case, as well, I think we're seeing that he's not really a play driver either and I think he's going to be most effective as the guy who kind of gets lost in the shuffle and finds the soft areas around the net and gets the puck.........not unlike Kucherov.

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo, neither Petey nor Debrusk are puck retrievers and, when putting lines together, you need to have a puck retriever on every line.

In Petey's case, as well, I think we're seeing that he's not really a play driver either and I think he's going to be most effective as the guy who kind of gets lost in the shuffle and finds the soft areas around the net and gets the puck.........not unlike Kucherov.

Debrusk and Petey are both fantastic at puck retrieval. McWhiner Baby and Dryercycle are cowardly players who don’t retrieve pucks. 

Consider some of others on that list. Dahlin 13$ million and 

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Petey needs to work on his legs and his core. Maybe bulk up a bit. Maybe find a better more planted stride so he can't get knocked down, or off the puck. 

I was looking at the heights / weights of forwards and Aman is a similar build ( 6'2 and around 175-80 ) yet I don't remember Aman falling like Petey does? Garland is 5'10 and 10lbs less than Petey, yet how many times does Garland get by players or scum and stay on his feet? JT Miller is 6'1 / 218, so he's over 40lbs heavier than Petey and it shows on the boards.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Goose said:

Why Garland with Petey/Debrusk? For occassional shifts maybe, because Garland often makes any line he's on look good. Garland needs to be a 2nd or 3rd line like he was with Joshua. The Canucks can't survive with only 2 good lines.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Because ppl here thinks ep needs to have 140 points like kucherov to justify his contract. Miller Hughes boeser didnt have points but according to fans they were great 

Yep. Miller was our worst forward of the night by farrrrr. Had 5 giveaways in really bad spots and didn't generate anything. Very fortunate his mistakes didn't cost the team. On a couple of them Philly pissed away their gimmie opportunities and Lankinen bailed him out. 

Miller had an absolutely brutal night worthy of scrutiny. But he has a leash and people are obviously giving him that. I think he's earned that leash, but people hate big contracts and Petey will forever have a shortened leash because of it. That's why I think it's truly stupid of these players to sign these massive contracts because all it does is eventually bring their games down because now they have unsurmountable pressure to live up to them. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mordekai said:

I don’t get how fans don’t realize this about ep40

i bought his jersey years ago cause he could dangle out of traffic and make you fall and look silly. He would snipe the puck and score. He hasn’t shown he can do either. Holds on to the puck forever and gets blocked.

He wasnt even like this beginning of last season. Canucks regressed  last 30 games of last year partially cause he significantly dropped his point pace. 
11.6 is top 5 aav in the league

i am just hoping he can’t be a top two player on our team. Right now he is no where close

You nailed why he's ineffective these days. Just holds onto the puck too long. Same way Boeser did for years as well. It's something you hope coaches notice but it seems ever since he bulked up a bit he over-trusts his ability to play like Forsberg and invite contact. He needs to play like a small forward to be more effective.

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I'm surprised at the sky is falling attitude in this PGT. 2 subpar games, sure. But it's not like they don't show any indication of being an elite team at times. 

Disappointing but a large contingency are acting as if players will never play good again lol.

And we got a loser point out of each game. Good teams get those loser points when they don’t have their best game. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Is it insulating or is it finding pieces that actually work? Why is MacKinnon playing with rantanen? Why is matthews playing with Tavares or marker and nylander? Why is kucherov playing with point? Why did they sign lindholm to play with pastranak? Those are like the top 5 paid forwards why do they have a 8-11mil player to play? All of them have a linemate that can pass and shoot. Their gm insulate their top player with similar talent to have success. Sure u can point to Crosby and mcdavid but those are generational players. Most elite players play with another star player on their line if not they get players that are compatible with the player at least. We just grab whatever and expect it to work. I never liked the debrusk signing because he was not the type of player ep needs or a player that will take attention off ep

Good questions...well presented.  None of the aforementioned players ever had a 6 month stretch where everyone questioned thier work ethic, compete or ability to lead a team.   That is all...

Edited by ronning4center

9 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

You nailed why he's ineffective these days. Just holds onto the puck too long. Same way Boeser did for years as well. It's something you hope coaches notice but it seems ever since he bulked up a bit he over-trusts his ability to play like Forsberg and invite contact. He needs to play like a small forward to be more effective.

I’m noticing a lack of thrust or acceleration in his first step. Petey seems to stall with puck on his stick like he wants the game to slow down somehow especially when he’s in the offensive zone - a very passive approach that can be successful if his linemates are able to read him and move into space. I’m not convinced he was ever the type of player who bulled his way into high danger scoring areas. He’s more Henrik Sedin than Nathan Mackinnon that’s for sure and I’m afraid that he’s going to frustrate a significant portion of the fan base until we win something big enough for people to lighten up.

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And we got a loser point out of each game. Good teams get those loser points when they don’t have their best game. 

We have 8 new players this year in key positions. 2 new goalies in place of Demko. 3 of 4 forward lines have not just different players but new Canuck's players with Heinen and DeBrusk. 3rd D pairing also include new Canucks player Forbort.

Additionally, we are game TWO and our record last year was an anomoly compared to the previous 10 years. To expect us to come out of the gate like we did last year isn't realistic. 41-1-4 if leading after 2 periods is amazing, but VERY difficult to repeat.

I appreciate folks want us to get in the playoffs again, but last year we didn't have a target on our back as a top Division team and this year we do. Teams are going to play us harder from game 1. Nobody expected us to have such a good first half. The important thing is we are consistent and not have a good first half and an average second half like last year.

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan

5 hours ago, Provost said:

No, you decided to make a shitty post that lied about what I said.  Being toxic and claiming it is because you are a cheerleader doesn't make it less toxic.

Did I ever say Hoglander hasn't improved... no. 

Did you make a snarky post saying I did and that it was some sort of character flaw for me saying it (when I didn't).... yes

Did you then post another snarky comment about me "deciding for the year" that again is lying about anything I posted... yes

Sorry that reading words is too harder for you than making trite uninformed posts.

Go Canucks Go.

Get Him Out GIF

5 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

We have 8 new players this year in key positions. 2 new goalies in place of Demko. 3 of 4 forward lines have not just different players but new Canuck's players with Heinen and DeBrusk. 3rd D pairing also include new Canucks player Forbort.

Additionally, we are game TWO and our record last year was an anomoly compared to the previous 10 years. To expect us to come out of the gate like we did last year isn't realistic. 41-1-4 if leading after 2 periods is amazing, but VERY difficult to repeat.

I appreciate folks want us to get in the playoffs again, but last year we didn't have a target on our back as a top Division team and this year we do. Teams are going to play us harder from game 1. Nobody expected us to have such a good first half. The important thing is we are consistent and not have a good first half and an average second half like last year.

Sorry, maybe it’s the alcohol? But I don’t get what you’re saying. We are a Cup level team. There’s no question about that. 

4 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’m willing to give Debrusk and Petey more time to gel. But I was advocating for Debrusk with Miller and Boeser from day 1.

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Petey - Sprong

Joshua - Suter/Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Suter/Blueger - Sherwood 

Is what I’d like to see once healthy 

Debrusk - Pettersson - Hoglander

Been asking for this line since preseason.

• Cheers 1