[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

11 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on... until they find their feet put Suter with Miller and Brock. 
if it isn't broke, don't fix it...

Once Joshua is back we'll ahain have a good 3rd line...

once things settle down I do fancy Joshua on a line with Petey and Debrusk despite both shooting left...

and them Hogs on the 3rd line. 

Over the first two game, the third line has easily been the best line, imo.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So what it looking like for Tuesdays game? Will it be postponed?

Haven’t really followed the hurricane aftermath.

Murph said it is still on.  His team is assuming it's a go unless they are told otherwise. 

Last night's game TB v canes was postponed 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JayDangles said:

What about pp points? He isn't lighting it up there even though he is surrounded by talent. Not shooting, not making plays.

Any other assumed excuses you want to make for him?

Right coz the entire powerplay haven’t been trash it’s just ep that haven’t been scoring on the pp right? Have you even watch the power play? Majority of the setup is Hughes to miller and shoot. How often is the play going to ep side? Literally every right handed sniper parks and shoot on the left side. Ep is put on the right side to shoot across his body. And guess what our only pp goal from the top unit so far this year came from the right side ep debrusk miller. But lemme guess ep only got a secondary assist so it have nothing to do with him it was all debrusk boeser and prolly Hughes and miller too for drawing guys away right?

PP needs work, it is way too predictable. I get that the drop pass can be useful, but every single time? Teams know it is coming and leave a guy up to try and pick it off. Even if they don't, it disrupts the play and wastes valuable time leaving us scrambling to get set up.

We need some more variety.

Also it would be good to put on PP2 sooner rather than leaving them 25 seconds to get something going 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Sprong experiment will soon end. This guy is dragging down his line. He will be on waivers before November. 

I'm not sure about him either but I wouldn't write him off just yet.    He's got alot of speed (that we sorely need) and good hands but isn't connecting with anyone yet - but it's only been 2 games.  So, I'd give him and other newbee's a bit more time before unloading him.

• Cheers 3

28 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I'm not sure about him either but I wouldn't write him off just yet.    He's got alot of speed (that we sorely need) and good hands but isn't connecting with anyone yet - but it's only been 2 games.  So, I'd give him and other newbee's a bit more time before unloading him.

5% of the his time on ice is exciting because he has the puck. The other 95% he is terrible and his teammates have to cover for him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

PP needs work, it is way too predictable. I get that the drop pass can be useful, but every single time? Teams know it is coming and leave a guy up to try and pick it off. Even if they don't, it disrupts the play and wastes valuable time leaving us scrambling to get set up.

We need some more variety.

Also it would be good to put on PP2 sooner rather than leaving them 25 seconds to get something going 

I absolutely fucking loathe the drop pass!!! Drives me crazy

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Sprong is a slug who has a shot... he is not a top six player.

Why Tocchet continues to force Pettersson to play with linemates who don't have any skills or who don't fit his playing style continues to stump me.

Pettersson needs players who he can pass with and who are creative.

It should be #1 priority to get Pettersson going.

Lekkermaki played well with him in the pre-season, but apparently Tocchet decided he needs time in Abby.

So you'd think Tocchet would put Hoglander back with Pettersson since they worked decently together last year... no.

Basically if you leave the Miller/Boeser pairing together, and don't re-unite the Lotto Line, then you need to put a decently creative player with Pettersson as well as Debrusk.

Blueger should be left centering his own line.

That leaves a choice of either:

Hoglander

Suter

Garland

Garland has chemistry with Joshua... it would be interesting to try those two with Pettersson... it would add a playmaker in Garland, and a bruiser/shooter in Joshua.

I am not impressed with Heinen... in fact none of the new offensive signings look good.

I think you start by adding Hoglander to Pettersson's line and see what that does.

Well except that Hoglander was also trash when put on a line with Petterson.  They don't have any good options for that spot, at least they filled one wing there.  All teams in a cap world have some flaws.  Ours is missing a top six forward and two top four D... the hope with the signings is that depth can make up for that.

Folks need to stop getting such unrealistic expectations of players we happen to sign and look at where those players have played in their careers.  People get so pumped up and then lose their minds when those unrealistic expectations don't materialize.

All our new signings have been bottom of the lineup players their entire careers.  The team brass knew it didn't have the cap to get a bunch of high end UFAs, so picked their shot with a legit but not spectacular top six player in Debrusk and then went into the bargain bin hoping their pro scouts could unearth a gem from at least one of them.  Heinen, Sprong, Sherwood, Forbort, and Desharnais are all guys who should be providing you good depth in limited minutes.  They shouldn't be relied on to do more than that... it is complete gravy if they do.

As we traded away so many picks and don't have ELC players coming in to provide excess value compared with their contracts, we are stuck trying to squeeze it out of veteran UFA signings that may be undervalued.

I would imagine if we go a couple more games like this, the lines will be completely thrown into a blender.  We have some centre depth so could throw out the Lotto line for a while and see if they can overpower the opposition and then the other lines with their depth can at least play to a draw without the pressure of facing the top D and opposing forwards.  What we saw last year was Garland could keep providing secondary offence wherever he was put in the lineup.

Petterson-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk-Suter-Garland
Hoglander-Blueger-Heinen
Sherwood-Raty-Sprong

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Cranston said:

I'd settle for Joshua - Petterson- Hoglander for a look see.

That's kind of a hidden luxury to have. If our third line can perform adequately then we have Joshua to insert anywhere in the line-up he's needed. 

So many possible combos with Hogs, Debrusk, Boeser, and even Garland to move around the line-up. There is no rule saying we have to keep the Miller line together either. Maybe he clicks with Debrusk if they end up trying that. So far our top 6 wingers haven't moved the needle as we hoped.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Sprong is a slug who has a shot... he is not a top six player.

Why Tocchet continues to force Pettersson to play with linemates who don't have any skills or who don't fit his playing style continues to stump me.

Pettersson needs players who he can pass with and who are creative.

It should be #1 priority to get Pettersson going.

Lekkermaki played well with him in the pre-season, but apparently Tocchet decided he needs time in Abby.

So you'd think Tocchet would put Hoglander back with Pettersson since they worked decently together last year... no.

Basically if you leave the Miller/Boeser pairing together, and don't re-unite the Lotto Line, then you need to put a decently creative player with Pettersson as well as Debrusk.

Blueger should be left centering his own line.

That leaves a choice of either:

Hoglander

Suter

Garland

Garland has chemistry with Joshua... it would be interesting to try those two with Pettersson... it would add a playmaker in Garland, and a bruiser/shooter in Joshua.

I am not impressed with Heinen... in fact none of the new offensive signings look good.

I think you start by adding Hoglander to Pettersson's line and see what that does.

Hoglander was not good with Petterson last year so your whole argument is mooooo 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

The overreactions are pretty funny. Usually by Christmas is when you can judge how well teams will do.

American Thanksgiving is usually the standard marker no?

Still, American and Canadian Thanksgiving are a good chunk of season away from each other