[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

10 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Because our highest paid player in franchise history has been invisible for 8 months. Tired of people making excuses for him. 

- It's just 2 games

- It's just 2 weeks

- It's just 2 months

- It's just 1 playoffs

- It's just the 1st 2 games of the year

I want accountability. Pettersson staying on the ice with Yogi is great and all, but he had an entire offseason of criticism to fire him up. If he needs to put in the extra work now, 2 games into the season, we're not looking great to start the season. Pair that with Miller taking the preseason as an extra vacation and not being ready to start the season... Our chemistry being off, 2 of our big players out on IR. It's a very annoying start to the season. Credit to the team for getting 2 points, but they were ugly ones. 

Turn Around No GIF by Sesame Street

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Schenn barely was before we brought him in.

Dont underestimate Hughes ability to make guys way better.

And it doesn't hurt to have a guy with size to deter the constant runs (usually unsuccessful as he eludes them) at Quinn.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Maybe it’s a good time to stop listening to the bottles Alf.

image.gif

Which club has a better D than us? We have the best top pairing, which isn’t arguable. So take the two top guys off every other club. We are better at the top. That leaves the next four to match up. Which club, after their top two guys, are better than ours? And factor in that our top two are better than all other clubs’ top two. So we start ahead when considering the next four. 
AA115299-0490-4DC2-B205-12EC6EEF4099.gif.513d28b0323aee63c66c452002ee8bef.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Conscience said:

Because hughes can make anyone look good, need to spread the wealth with our weak d

Agreed! We really should’ve signed Barrie to be on our 2nd pairing and have Myers on the 3rd pair. Whenever Myers plays too much he makes plenty of mistakes. That and we just don’t have any luck moving ability outside of Hughes and Hronek, would’ve been more balanced on the breakout if we had another puck mover in the lineup.

Sure Barrie isn’t great defensively but that’s why you would pair him with Soucy. instead he’s basically mailing this season in signing with the flames. (Yeah yeah 3-0 so far but that’s going to change). Hope that management makes a move for RSD puck mover at some point in the season.

1 hour ago, Cranston said:

Wait a minute, wasn't the great 3rd line Garland, Joshua, Blueger? Was Hogs on the 4th? 

Oh yes it was...

However, need to play somebody with Petey, and playing Joshua and DeBrusk with him would mean the great 3rd line need another member... Hogs played with Suter/Bluger and Garland in preseason, and he didn't look out of place there...

I still think Suter was great on Millers wing

So

DeBrusk - Petey - Joshua

Suter - Miller - Brock

Hogs - Bluger - Garland

Heinen - Aman - Sherwood

Sprong 

Maybe try Bains on Peteys wing until Joshua is back... don't know... but Sprong has so far not lived up to expectation...

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yea might be time to try Hronek with Soucy.

I think Vinny can do well on Hughes pair similar to Schenn. Both are below average skaters that play a physical brand. It’s worth experimenting at this point to see what we’ve got.

Hughes Desharnais

Soucy Hronek

Forbort Juulsen

If that works we can put Myers with Forbort and have the second and third pair split the minutes that the first pair doesn’t play.

I would love it if Vinny can be our Luke Schenn replacement for Hugs. But I don't see it. He's 2m Andrei Pedan. 

12 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Why are folks to against putting Sutter back on Millers wing?

One of the best lines in hockey last year...

DeBrusk - Petey - Dak when he is back

This will keep Garland running riot on the 3rd line with Hogs and Bluger...

That ain't me tho. I'm very pro Suter with Miller Brock not only is it one of the best 1st lines in the NHL it's also one of the most cost efficient. It would allow Tocc to share the wealth and roll 4 quality lines. 

Re Garland. He is elite on the boards the takeaway to giveaway ratio and PIM differential are nuts.

image.thumb.png.c8c6960846a728161361c12a67fad9cd.png

I would really like to see him with Pete Debrusk/Joshua.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Because our highest paid player in franchise history has been invisible for 8 months. Tired of people making excuses for him. 

- It's just 2 games

- It's just 2 weeks

- It's just 2 months

- It's just 1 playoffs

- It's just the 1st 2 games of the year

I want accountability. Pettersson staying on the ice with Yogi is great and all, but he had an entire offseason of criticism to fire him up. If he needs to put in the extra work now, 2 games into the season, we're not looking great to start the season. Pair that with Miller taking the preseason as an extra vacation and not being ready to start the season... Our chemistry being off, 2 of our big players out on IR. It's a very annoying start to the season. Credit to the team for getting 2 points, but they were ugly ones. 

Old Lady Time GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Agreed! We really should’ve signed Barrie to be on our 2nd pairing and have Myers on the 3rd pair. Whenever Myers plays too much he makes plenty of mistakes. That and we just don’t have any luck moving ability outside of Hughes and Hronek, would’ve been more balanced on the breakout if we had another puck mover in the lineup.

Sure Barrie isn’t great defensively but that’s why you would pair him with Soucy. instead he’s basically mailing this season in signing with the flames. (Yeah yeah 3-0 so far but that’s going to change). Hope that management makes a move for RSD puck mover at some point in the season.

Joking, right? Our d zone system is designed to protect high danger areas while allowing shots from distance. That’s how teams win Cups. That system isn’t for Barrie. He’s best on a rebuilding team with no aspirations of winning. He’s like that Bustowitz guy we dumperood. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which club has a better D than us? We have the best top pairing, which isn’t arguable. So take the two top guys off every other club. We are better at the top. That leaves the next four to match up. Which club, after their top two guys, are better than ours? And factor in that our top two are better than all other clubs’ top two. So we start ahead when considering the next four. 
AA115299-0490-4DC2-B205-12EC6EEF4099.gif.513d28b0323aee63c66c452002ee8bef.gif

Uhhh what

We have like 2 top 4D.

That's like saying Edmonton has the best team with the best depth because they have Mc Digin. 

Edited by Hammertime

3 hours ago, stawns said:

I don't see people freaking out at all.  It's a discussion board and they've started out poorly and people are discussing why.

Honestly, the only people giving off freak out vibes are those freaking out about "people freaking out".

There is also way to much baseless speculation based off two games where 80% of the team and league played no better than he did. A bunch of worry warts without any concrete ideas, just wild accusations and a bunch of regurgitated crap from 4 months ago thrown against the wall. It seems like every other post people are bitching about it when really no one has a clue. Let's actually see where it goes before crying wolf.

I think Petey, and really every player in the league deserves at least a handful of games before people start throwing them under the bus. In reality he hasn't played bad, made some nice plays, and has provided good defensive play.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

"They've started off poorly".

They grabbed two points without their starting goaltender.  Yes, they let things slip away and have to be better but it is "freaking out" at this point to assess things prematurely. Let the dust settle.

My God, they're just out of the gate and a guy like JT didn't have any preseason warm up. 

But he was also dubbed to be "atrocious". That's freaking out talk to me.

100%. Call it freaking out, which I do, or don't if you don't like the term. Either way it's definitely pre-mature to be going on and on about Petey's performance two games into the season. Like what, he should have 4 or 5 goals and as many assists already or something? He hasn't been the direct cause of any goals or a reason we lost. He hasn't been contributing much offensively, or on the PP but it's very obviously a coaching issue there.

2 FREAKING GAMES

Freak Out Panic GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

You mean Blueger, or Miller? Suter is decent but probably the worst defensive center we have. Aman may be better. 

You're watching replays of his Detroit days?

See:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/pius-suter-simple-effective-first-season-vancouver-canucks-year-review

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I would love it if Vinny can be our Luke Schenn replacement for Hugs. But I don't see it. He's 2m Andrei Pedan. 

That ain't me tho. I'm very pro Suter with Miller Brock not only is it one of the best 1st lines in the NHL it's also one of the most cost efficient. It would allow Tocc to share the wealth and roll 4 quality lines. 

Re Garland. He is elite on the boards the takeaway to giveaway ratio and PIM differential are nuts.

image.thumb.png.c8c6960846a728161361c12a67fad9cd.png

I would really like to see him with Pete Debrusk/Joshua.

Cheers amigo... Agree 100%

This could work as well, with Joshua or Debrusk flanking Hogs on the 3rd line...

I am willing to try anything to find a person with chemistry for Petey, who won't forget about their defensive assignments... 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think playing a more up tempo style with the new players has been good. But Tocchet has to instill his 'staples' again. Our defensively responsible style that helped us last year. He has to make sure we keep that hard working defensive structure we had before. Back to basics.

Spot on.... great call.

• Cheers 2