[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

35 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Again, just to play devils advocate here (and unfortunately quoting either Paterson or Gafaar) because folks do need a reminder of what we are and have been witnessing…

EP has 1 goal in the total last 20 regular season games. 

He’s not the play driver.

It’s JTM and his line and has been for a long time, with EP acting as a secondary or even tertiary threat (when you factor the O that came  from the 3rd line).

Any way you slice it he needs to break out and recapture form for this team to be a real threat. Fingers crossed he re-emerges soon.

wont happen unless there's a threat on the line to take the double team off EP. JT doesn't get double team as often as EP because they can't just leave Boeser open by himself. between hughes and boeser they are still a threat to make the pass and setup a play. it's not whether or not EP is a playdriver.. his style of play requires open ice and uses his creativity. he's getting no ice since other team ignores the other player on his lines and zero in on him coz they are not scared or worried about them without ep.. also the style of hockey prolly not suiting EP plays a big part.. ever since the team had the hard buy into defensive shutdown hockey.. EP creativity with the puck is completely gone. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Why would they split up Petey/DeBrusk?  That would be kinda dumb. I’m sure they need more than 2 games together to develop some chemistry. Tocchet isn’t Travis Green. 

That is why it is a bold prediction. Also, I was not indicating next game just that I think it would happen in the future. 

• Jess changed the title to [PGT] Vancouver vs Philly
4 hours ago, Guntrix said:

With Myers injured, we are arguably down to only one top-2 quality D. 

Yes, defense is going to give us a lot to talk about this season (ignoring the clear concerns with our top-6 forwards).

Ya our D needs an upgrade

this year might be a step back year from last… Petey has issues and our D isn’t as good… Demko has issues as well… management will be looking to rectify these concerns tho… 

Don’t care what the commentators said, they looked sloppy all game. 
They got cocky over the summer, forgot the amount of work and execution. 
2-2 game, late game PP, we need you Pettey.  “Petterson knocked down three times on that sequence”. He has really shown us that he has long stretches through every season where his head isn’t in the game and he can barely stay on his skates. Need more from him, you want to be franchise player time to act like it. 
Now we can see what happens when you have a bunch of 6-7 D playing up to second pairing. Hopefully the Myers injury gets them taking things more seriously because this is starting like the Green team that blew 6-7 3rd period leads to start the year and end our chance for that season. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Huggy Bear 1

Just woke up from a nightmare.

Wife said I was kicking and woke her up.

I told her I dreamt of being sat on by a pig.  But the pig was sleeping next to a wild boar, which was sleeping too.  I thought if I just pretend I'm sleeping the boar will ignore me. Next thing I dreamt was the pig swallowing my arm, so I punched back.  Good thing I didn't punch my wife.

No more Hoggy Hoglander stuff. Literally gave me a nightmare.  

Wife said I need to quit watching hockey.  

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Just woke up from a nightmare.

Wife said I was kicking and woke her up.

I told her I dreamt of being sat on by a pig.  But the pig was sleeping next to a wild boar, which was sleeping too.  I thought if I just pretend I'm sleeping the boar will ignore me. Next thing I dreamt was the pig swallowing my arm, so I punched back.  Good thing I didn't punch my wife.

No more Hoggy Hoglander stuff. Literally gave me a nightmare.  

Wife said I need to quit watching hockey.  

Not totally related but my wife always wants to punch me in the face or eye ball 

or stab me, she would accept that too 

• Haha 1
  • Desmenko 1

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Better checking effort, one point means all is not lost. 5 d was always going to wear on us.

Need to get better in burrows time, hopefully road wakes up a bit.

Yep.   Someone else mentioned Debrusk with Miller and Brock.   As for EP, he needs his pair and if De-Brusk isn't that, pull the bandaid and face reality.    It's his last chance ... major surgery?.   Too early maybe.    At some point we might need to consider looking at trading  EP straight up for a half dozen other centers who don't get paid the same but have consistency before his clauses come up. 

Edit:  De-Brusk was a solid signing.    Get we need "star power" ... right now EP is the missing link.   One way or the other.    We need him going.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Someone else mentioned Debrusk with Miller and Brock.   As for EP, he needs his pair and if De-Brusk isn't that, pull the bandaid and face reality.    It's his last chance ... major surgery?.   Too early maybe.    At some point we might need to consider looking at trading  EP straight up for a half dozen other centers who don't get paid the same but have consistency before his clauses come up. 

Edit:  De-Brusk was a solid signing.    Get we need "star power" ... right now EP is the missing link.   One way or the other.    We need him going.   

EP 40 is dishing off rather than taking the shot somewhat like last year. 

Lots of ozone puck possession. No PP goals which is concerning. Good time for a road trip. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Excuse last year was that EP didn’t have good linemates with offensive intelligence. Now he’s got Debrusk/Sprong, the latter being all offence no defence. EP still looks lost out there and fell down about a dozen times this last game. Not liking the 11.6M contract at all…

For that kind of money a player should be able to take the bull by the balls and ride the rodeo. A player should be able to take control of a game. But instead we have Petey floating around or falling down. Hopefully he picks it up or we are screwed.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Excuse last year was that EP didn’t have good linemates with offensive intelligence. Now he’s got Debrusk/Sprong, the latter being all offence no defence. EP still looks lost out there and fell down about a dozen times this last game. Not liking the 11.6M contract at all…

For that kind of money a player should be able to take the bull by the balls and ride the rodeo. A player should be able to take control of a game. But instead we have Petey floating around or falling down. Hopefully he picks it up or we are screwed.

According to Forbes, the 5th highest paid player this year - he better start earning it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettknight/2024/10/09/the-nhls-highest-paid-players-2024/

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

wont happen unless there's a threat on the line to take the double team off EP. JT doesn't get double team as often as EP because they can't just leave Boeser open by himself. between hughes and boeser they are still a threat to make the pass and setup a play. it's not whether or not EP is a playdriver.. his style of play requires open ice and uses his creativity. he's getting no ice since other team ignores the other player on his lines and zero in on him coz they are not scared or worried about them without ep.. also the style of hockey prolly not suiting EP plays a big part.. ever since the team had the hard buy into defensive shutdown hockey.. EP creativity with the puck is completely gone. 

Or...

We can stop making excuse and after excuse for why Petey has disappeared. 

You think other players like Crosby, Mackinnon, McBaby, Kucherov, ovechkin, etc aren't targeted and double teamed like Pettersson?

If you are indeed right, then Petey needs to adjust and find new ways to be successful.  

This has been going on for far too long now. No more excuses for an $11.6m player.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

EP struggles coincided with taking a passer off his line aka kuzmenko.. he will continue to struggle until we get a 2nd playmaker on the line so the other team isn't focused on shutting down EP only.. what have the other 2 on the line done? also nothing.. coz they can't create anything on their own without EP even though he's doubled tripled covered everytime.. they need a guy that can take advantage of EP being heavily covered and punish them creating plays.. we took away that player and every team that plays EP line? just cover EP and ignore the other 2

Why is everyone saying Petey is struggling?  I thought was ok in game 1 and good last night.

Imo, and I've been saying this for a long time, they need to balance the power play.  Theres only one puck, so putting 5 guys who like to have/shoot the puck on one unit makes no sense to me.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

He has his critics. I'd say he's getting better. But he needs to pick his spots. But I would say he's definitely improved since last season. 

Desharnais seems too slow so i'd rather juulsen out there. Juulsen needs to work on his outlet passes but the effort is there. 

We found a way to add zad last year, be nice if we could do the same, though hopefully myers isn't out too long.

• Like 1