[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Petey needs to work on his legs and his core. Maybe bulk up a bit. Maybe find a better more planted stride so he can't get knocked down, or off the puck. 

I wonder if Petey used a wrist roller as part of his daily routine since a boy? Thin framed guys should be doing that from day one. 

• Upvote 1

Our D needs some more mobility. I would not be against adding Brannstrom to the line up if Myers is out for some time. Might be time to split up Hughes/Hronek.

Hughes-Juulsen??

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort/Desharnais 

Friedman/Brannstrom?

I wouldn’t be against seeing Brannstrom in at some point and see what he does 

• Like 3

with Petey getting double teamed so much that leaves the Miller line more opportunity against lesser checkers.  EP will get his looks, given time... he just needs to bury them. I was out of my seat when, in the last minute, when he tried to split the defense... thinking he was going to shelve it for the win... silly me thinking that.

If Meyers is out long time, could the Leafs Liljegrin be a stop gap option? this year and next at $3 mill. 

maybe the rest of Poolman's LTIR+ eg Woo ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

wont happen unless there's a threat on the line to take the double team off EP. JT doesn't get double team as often as EP because they can't just leave Boeser open by himself. between hughes and boeser they are still a threat to make the pass and setup a play. it's not whether or not EP is a playdriver.. his style of play requires open ice and uses his creativity. he's getting no ice since other team ignores the other player on his lines and zero in on him coz they are not scared or worried about them without ep.. also the style of hockey prolly not suiting EP plays a big part.. ever since the team had the hard buy into defensive shutdown hockey.. EP creativity with the puck is completely gone. 

What do you think playoff hockey is then? So you are saying he is pretty much useless come playoff time? He is not playing as he is capable of playing that is obvious. No excuses other then he is not performing up to his own standards. We have tried blaming his line mates even though when they reunited the lotto line last year and the playoffs , he still did nothing. Kuz was not the issue, he has gone back to producing since his trade to Calgary. 

He is being paid as a top player in the league and we are just not seeing that level of play from him in awhile now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

Two losses (one OT and one SO) to start the season is disappointing, especially against teams that are expected to be below average. And there are some things to be concerned about, including the Myers injury.  But there are also some positives. Here are some key points, starting with positives.

1. Lankinen was very good, much better than Silovs in the first game, including stopping a short-handed break and being very solid from distance. That is a huge plus. I assume he starts the next game. If he started against Calgary and played like this the Canucks would have won easily.

2. The D played well despite losing Myers on his first shift. Hughes and Hronek were outstanding again. And Hughes played over 31 minutes. Juulsen was very good for a "7th man". He played almost 20 minutes and was the minute leader on the PK with over 5 minutes. The Flyers did not score in those minutes and their "expected goals" was only 0.38. He had a good game and deserves to stay in the line-up (which he will certainly do anyway with Myers injured). Forbert was surprisingly good.

3. Although the Flyers outshot the Canucks, the underlying stats had the Canucks ahead, both at even strength and overall. The Blueger line was very good. Each line except the Pettersson line was ahead in Corsi and expected goal differential. And once Garland joined Petey and Debrusk, that line was good. Once again, Sprong was demoted during the game and had the lowest minutes. And Toc indicated that Sprong messed up on the 5-on-5 Philly goal. I am guessing Bains or Aman plays instead of Sprong in the next game.

4. The Flyers goalie (Ersson) was very good and the Canucks were unlucky not to get another regulation goal, which would have been enough for the win.

4. Moving on to the concerns, the most obvious concern is with Myers. Not much to say. The Canucks cannot afford to lose a top-4 defenceman. Hope is better soon.

5. The other thing generating a lot of concern is Petey's play. And Tocc said he mis-played the Flyers PP goal. But his overall numbers were pretty good once he was separated from Strong and he had some good looks. His defensive play was solid and he looked dangerous in the o-zone at times. But he had only one shot on goal, and no shots at even strength. I am not sure why he won't shoot. Injury? Confidence? Trying too hard for the perfect play? He certainly had opportunities to shoot. I still think he will have a good season, but his cap hit makes me nervous.

6. And, once again, at least the Canucks got a point.

I think that is the big issue here... He feels he needs to set up the other two, and be very responsible defensively... Think he needs to let lose instead and be a bit more selfish (easy for me to say)... 

There is a reason why he looked better with Garland on his wing, who can also battle and make plays... And then I think the burden of being the top dog may have gotten a bit to him... I'm sure he'll be ok once the dust settles... Think folks are focussing too hard on him. He did make some excellent plays as well...

We should have gotten more points, but its not as if we walked away empty handed... 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Nothing against Heinen, but get Suter back up next to Brock and Miller...

Keep Garland, Raty, Hogs together

DeBrusk and Petey need more time together with anyone not named Sprong. Maybe try sherwood there....

And then Bluger with the 2 remaining....

Sprong in the press box.

Yeah agreed.  Suter with Miller and Boeser were excellent when you looked at the metrics.  Heinen is more a top tier bottom 6 guy.  When Joshua returns I hope we see:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Raty-Sherwood

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

with Petey getting double teamed so much that leaves the Miller line more opportunity against lesser checkers.  EP will get his looks, given time... he just needs to bury them. I was out of my seat when, in the last minute, when he tried to split the defense... thinking he was going to shelve it for the win... silly me thinking that.

If Meyers is out long time, could the Leafs Liljegrin be a stop gap option? this year and next at $3 mill. 

This used to be a regular occurance for Petey and he would bury it. I haven't seen this from him in a long while, hopefully he is finally starting to figure out his issues.

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah agreed.  Suter with Miller and Boeser were excellent when you looked at the metrics.  Heinen is more a top tier bottom 6 guy.  When Joshua returns I hope we see:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Raty-Sherwood

I wonder if they may try Joshua with either Miller-Brock or Petey- DeBrusk

But Suter despite all the unhappiness with him on the second line worked.

Hogs - Raty/Blugger - Garland Could be an excellent 3rd line.... And keep Heinen and whomever (likely Sherwood) on the 4th.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Would Toronto be nuts enough eat $1 million for a lateral trade with Desharnais? 

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Petey needs to work on his legs and his core. Maybe bulk up a bit. Maybe find a better more planted stride so he can't get knocked down, or off the puck. 

Your right and his overall strength (or lack thereof) has been a problem since his draft year which makes his performance so frustrating.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Would Toronto be nuts enough eat $1 million for a lateral trade with Desharnais? 

them? yup!

plus if they take $ 500 K of Poolmans ltir... then it's only an extra $500 k

Edited by grumpyone

10 hours ago, Canucklehead said:

This is why playing the entire team for some pre season games together can help out.

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hughes and Lankinen best Canucks on the Ice...  (Impressed by the goalie)

The rest are a mixed bag of ok and not so good... We looked like a team of vets.... they mostly start slow, and then build up steam... Flyers looked like a young hungry team, but will get their problems later in the season.

Myers injured is going to be a big problem... may see a trade come up very soon.

2 points for 2, where the team hasn't been at their best is not the end of the world... 

Please don't say that!  Every time the word "Trade" comes up with Alvin it means another future Draft Pick down the tubes.   We've thrown away enough draft picks in the last few years that has decimated our prospect pool to the point we don't have anything better than potential 3rd or 4th liners down on the farm and zero defensive prospects of any note - all because of impatient trades like those dumb-ass "Rental" trades for Lindholm and Zadorov last year that cost us 4 draft picks, two promising prospects (one of them very promising) and a 40 Goal scorer.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Poolman's $500k is retained salary now and is dead cap. It can't be used as ltir and it can't be traded.  Woo pretty much has zero trade value (and his cap hit is buried so moving him doesn't free up any cap space)  Vancouver has $450k in cap space and Liljegren carries a $3m cap hit. So at least $2.6m in cap thats currently on the roster has to go back to Toronto for there to be any possibility of the trade to work.  

• ThereItIs 1

14 minutes ago, Dirty Al said:

Sportsnet+ is only supported in Canada. (error 15)

I love it when the expensive streaming service I only pay for to watch Canucks games shuts down for an hour and a half in a tied game on my Friday night...  do better. 

I hate streaming stuff for this reason. Everyone raves on and on and it's stream this stream that but yet the overall quality has just gone downhill since standard cable days. I still pay a bit more probably but I can't stand the hokey menus, poor user interfaces, slow reaction time, and sh!t service.

I'd be doing some major complaining and threatening to go elsewhere. Holy what a bunch of crap. I heard you can't even get online support with that rubbish.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Don’t care what the commentators said, they looked sloppy all game. 
They got cocky over the summer, forgot the amount of work and execution. 
2-2 game, late game PP, we need you Pettey.  “Petterson knocked down three times on that sequence”. He has really shown us that he has long stretches through every season where his head isn’t in the game and he can barely stay on his skates. Need more from him, you want to be franchise player time to act like it. 
Now we can see what happens when you have a bunch of 6-7 D playing up to second pairing. Hopefully the Myers injury gets them taking things more seriously because this is starting like the Green team that blew 6-7 3rd period leads to start the year and end our chance for that season. 

Well said.   11-6 has had problems staying on his feet for over a long time.  He falls nearly every play.  Not sure if it's because he's simply a pack of bones or just protecting himself from some injury or weakness but it can't be dismissed.    Everyone is hoping that he gets going in the next while because if we're forced to dump him later this year with salary retention - having another "Albatross" Contract after Luongo and O.E.L.'s, will sure be painful, as we've been hamstrung with multi-million dollar Cap hits for years and still will be for many years to come (with O.E.L.'s).  Fingers crossed he gets his shit together soon!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo

46 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Desharnais seems too slow so i'd rather juulsen out there. Juulsen needs to work on his outlet passes but the effort is there. 

We found a way to add zad last year, be nice if we could do the same, though hopefully myers isn't out too long.

Both are AHLers imo.