[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

10 hours ago, Rounoush said:

To the guy who made the: "Why are there empty seats thread." Seats are too expensive.

When I get emails from the Canucks - 2 hours before game time - saying " Seats Just Released"   (500 of them) that tells me there is a problem somewhere.   Ticket prices are ridiculous! 

9 hours ago, J-23 said:

The scoresheet says Soucy had 0 hits, but I was at the game and it looked like he had a couple of big hits.

I mentioned to my friend that whoever/however they calculate hits is off. I've noticed that both games now.

You're right, he did.

• Like 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

I loved the comments from John Shorthouse regarding the shootout techniques.  If you had a breakaway during the game you would be skating your tail off and would have a milli-second to shoot or deke.  Why these guys go in like they are pulling an elephant behind them I can never figure out.  Miller scored in the Calgary game on a wicked slap shot.  Why not the same move in the shootout?  Also, our veterans suck when it comes to shootout stats.  Let some of the new, young guys give it a go.  They did it in Jr.

• ThereItIs 1

Another strong first period, lacklustre second, and a strong push at the end

Power plays in the first were sharp and effective, later in the game they were slow, predictable and totally ineffective 

These traits were also obvious in the Calgary game. I hope they're not going to become a habit. Is it a lack of fitness or a lack of ideas? Whichever or whatever it is, RT needs to get on top of it. We have some tough games coming up 

43 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I hate streaming stuff for this reason. Everyone raves on and on and it's stream this stream that but yet the overall quality has just gone downhill since standard cable days. I still pay a bit more probably but I can't stand the hokey menus, poor user interfaces, slow reaction time, and sh!t service.

I'd be doing some major complaining and threatening to go elsewhere. Holy what a bunch of crap. I heard you can't even get online support with that rubbish.

Absolutely, my brother is still on cable for this very reason. I'd go back if I could, but that chicken has flown the coop. If streaming is the future, then hire  top end programmers and build a site that kicks a__, not a clunky broken POS." They obviously have the money. Literally the worst website that I know of, aside from possibly canucks.com, that site is a joke. lol.  

• Cheers 1

Imo, as well as some concerns with players on the ice, im seeing a few things to be concerned about on the ice.  Tocchet doesn't seem to be adjusting to the realities off the ice ........it seems he's using the first half of last season as the standard, instead of the ceiling. 

He's had half a season and two rounds, and now two games, of underwhelming play to adjust to the reality of what's happening on the ice, but it feels like he just keeps up with the mantra that if they just keeping banging their heads on the sand door and working harder, they'll get back to that first half level.

Rather than continuing to beat their head against the same hard surface expecting different results, they need to try and find a new way in.  To me, I think we're seeing the players starting to tune RT out, to a degree, and they're not playing for him the way they did before.  It's up to the coaching staff to keep evolving, and to try new ways to get the results they want.

I think the most obvious area is the pp.  It's is painfully obvious that the philosophy of loading up pp1 and giving them 90% of the pp time is not working and hasn't worked for some time.  Yet, the coaching staff keeps doing the same thing, game after game, expecting different results.

Ultimately, it's the players on the ice who need to execute better, but if things aren't working, and it's a long term trend, you have to look beyond the players for the problem.

Edited by stawns
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

I still have faith in the management and coaching staff.  I think I have less volatile reactions because I don't get crazy pumped  up with unrealistic expectations than some folks do.  My bet was that we would likely be fighting for a wildcard spot.  Lots went really well last year and a really hot start made all the difference.

Right from the summer it was clear that we still needed a top four D and another legit top six winger to be a really contending team.  Not having those means putting players too high in the lineup and just hoping for the best.

All of Sherwood, Heinen, and Sprong as new additions are bottom six players or even depth players and asking them to be significant contributor on top lines is a lot and something they have never done in their careers. We already had a bunch of bottom six/depth players in Hoglander, Joshua, Suter, Blueger, Podkolzin, Aman, Karlsson, Bains

Forbort and Desharnais were always going to be a rough pairing unless Foote can work some miracles pretty quickly.  Folks really underestimated the stabilizing Cole had on the defence early last year.  He was the 3rd best D on the team by a very long ways, but then with injuries he was played too many minutes and relied on too much at his age and started to lose a step.  That coincided with our drop in wins the latter half of the season.  It isn't an accident that he got signed to the dollars he got in the offseason when our bargain bin shopping guys were valued a lot less by the wider NHL market.

Folks had to pump the brakes on Silovs a LOT.  He was a good story and came in as a 3rd string guy to give us average goaltending in the playoffs.  That was a great accomplishment, but a LONG way away from being a Vezina calibre stud like Demko game in and game out.

On the plus side, I didn't think Raty was going to be an NHLer and though he would end up one of those tweener guys who was too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL.  I don't think he is quite ready, but you can see the NHL player in him suddenly this year.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo, as well as some concerns with players on the ice, im seeing a few things to be concerned about on the ice.  Tocchet doesn't seem to be adjusting to the realities on the ice ........it seems he's using the first half of last season as the standard, instead of the ceiling. 

He's had half a season and two rounds, and now two games, of underwhelming play to adjust to the reality of what's happening on the ice, but it feels like he just keeps up with the mantra that if they just keeping banging their heads on the sand door and working harder, they'll get back to that first half level.

Rather than continuing to beat their head against the same hard surface expecting different results, they need to try and find a new way in.  To me, I think we're seeing the players starting to tune RT out, to a degree, and they're not playing for him the way they did before.  It's up to the coaching staff to keep evolving, and to try new ways to get the results they want.

I think the most obvious area is the pp.  It's is painfully obvious that the philosophy of loading up pp1 and giving them 90% of the pp time is not working and hasn't worked for some time.  Yet, the coaching staff keeps doing the same thing, game after game, expecting different results.

Ultimately, it's the players on the ice who need to execute better, but if things aren't working, and it's a long term trend, you have to look beyond the players for the problem.

We talking about the guy who just won the Jack Adams?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

We talking about the guy who just won the Jack Adams?

Based, primarily on an amazing first half.  Anyone who thinks they've been playing high level hockey after the all Star break are fooling themselves, imo.  After the first half it's been "just enough" hockey and Tocchets done nothing to adjust to that

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Based, primarily on an amazing first half.  Anyone who thinks they've been playing high level hockey after the all Star break are fooling themselves, imo.  After the first half it's been "just enough" hockey and Tocchets done nothing to adjust to that

Ah okay cool thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t aware that the broadcasters association based their votes on half a season’s body of work. 

4 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Ah okay cool thanks for clarifying. I wasn’t aware that the broadcasters association based their votes on half a season’s body of work. 

I'd say that first half was definitely the main part they looked at.  

Do you think they played at the same level after the all Star break?