[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

EP struggles coincided with taking a passer off his line aka kuzmenko.. he will continue to struggle until we get a 2nd playmaker on the line so the other team isn't focused on shutting down EP only.. what have the other 2 on the line done? also nothing.. coz they can't create anything on their own without EP even though he's doubled tripled covered everytime.. they need a guy that can take advantage of EP being heavily covered and punish them creating plays.. we took away that player and every team that plays EP line? just cover EP and ignore the other 2

I dunno man...I think if the narrative remains that we need to shelter and insulate the top 5 highest paid player in the game we need to look very hard at the player....

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah agreed.  Suter with Miller and Boeser were excellent when you looked at the metrics.  Heinen is more a top tier bottom 6 guy.  When Joshua returns I hope we see:

Suter-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Raty-Sherwood

I never understood this.  Suter is a third line center....what about his career point production says he is a top line winger.   He held his own by keeping up for sure but he didn't produce as a top line player.  Wouldn't it make more sense to put Debrusk on the first line?

4 minutes ago, ploughcat07 said:

Gotta trust the process. I do think they looked better as a team against Philly. Having solid goaltending helped. 

Hopefully they round into form and bond during the road trip. Going even 2-1 would be huge.

When we lost to Flyers last year we turned it around on the road, so maybe losing to Flyers last night is good omen 

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, Provost said:

I still have faith in the management and coaching staff.  I think I have less volatile reactions because I don't get crazy pumped  up with unrealistic expectations than some folks do.  My bet was that we would likely be fighting for a wildcard spot.  Lots went really well last year and a really hot start made all the difference.

Right from the summer it was clear that we still needed a top four D and another legit top six winger to be a really contending team.  Not having those means putting players too high in the lineup and just hoping for the best.

All of Sherwood, Heinen, and Sprong as new additions are bottom six players or even depth players and asking them to be significant contributor on top lines is a lot and something they have never done in their careers. We already had a bunch of bottom six/depth players in Hoglander, Joshua, Suter, Blueger, Podkolzin, Aman, Karlsson, Bains

Forbort and Desharnais were always going to be a rough pairing unless Foote can work some miracles pretty quickly.  Folks really underestimated the stabilizing Cole had on the defence early last year.  He was the 3rd best D on the team by a very long ways, but then with injuries he was played too many minutes and relied on too much at his age and started to lose a step.  That coincided with our drop in wins the latter half of the season.  It isn't an accident that he got signed to the dollars he got in the offseason when our bargain bin shopping guys were valued a lot less by the wider NHL market.

Folks had to pump the brakes on Silovs a LOT.  He was a good story and came in as a 3rd string guy to give us average goaltending in the playoffs.  That was a great accomplishment, but a LONG way away from being a Vezina calibre stud like Demko game in and game out.

On the plus side, I didn't think Raty was going to be an NHLer and though he would end up one of those tweener guys who was too good for the AHL but not good enough for the NHL.  I don't think he is quite ready, but you can see the NHL player in him suddenly this year.

Hoglander and Joshua are quite a bit better than the other 6. Top 6 imo. 

13 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

I never understood this.  Suter is a third line center....what about his career point production says he is a top line winger.   He held his own by keeping up for sure but he didn't produce as a top line player.  Wouldn't it make more sense to put Debrusk on the first line?

Suter played great last year and had chemistry with Miller and Boeser. Why force another player on that line if Suter works great. Debrusk with Pettersson makes sense because he goes towards the net and plays good defensively. Another strategy is maybe have Boeser with Pettersson. But either way, Petersso. Needs to play better.

20 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I think you’re trying to explain away very easily recognizable and objective evidence that he’s a talented and well-regarded coach 

Who said he wasn't?  However, you can be that and still have short comings, they're not mutually exclusive

39 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I will never understand this narrative you have on Dahlin. He's clearly a top 5 D in the league. 

With Alf, I can't tell if it's an act, or he just is that dim. 

Loves the Canucks, until they suck. 

Hates all the others except for Toronto (Which is clearly his second favourite despite his protests). 

His hatred is so bad, he just assumes everyone on other teams can't be good. 

He thinks getting - on plus/minus dictates how good a defenceman is. He doesn't even understand +/- is an indicator, and without context it's useless. 

If you are playing on the bottom 5 teams in the league. Most high minute defencemen are going to have bad +/-. 

He's probably a nice guy in person. But I'm sick his schtick on here. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

With Alf, I can't tell if it's an act, or he just is that dim. 

Loves the Canucks, until they suck. 

Hates all the others except for Toronto (Which is clearly his second favourite despite his protests). 

His hatred is so bad, he just assumes everyone on other teams can't be good. 

He thinks getting - on plus/minus dictates how good a defenceman is. He doesn't even understand +/- is an indicator, and without context it's useless. 

If you are playing on the bottom 5 teams in the league. Most high minute defencemen are going to have bad +/-. 

He's probably a nice guy in person. But I'm sick his schtick on here. 

He's fun. You can't take it seriously. We don't know what time he starts drinking. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

it's kind of a paradox, though, right? if the team is that bad, how good can the players that compose it be?

29 minutes ago, Cranston said:

Hoglander and Joshua are quite a bit better than the other 6. Top 6 imo. 

Nope... they are still bottom six players.  Hoglander had effectively all his production on the 4th line last year and flailed badly when moved up.  Joshua basically didn't have any time in the top six aside from occasional shifts when partial line changes happened.  Every one of the guys I listed haven't been top six in their careers, and we are counting on a couple of them making a big step.  The mostly aren't kids any more either, they have had long careers as journeymen.

The only guy who has played any material amount of top six time was Garland, and that was on a terrible team and not for a huge stretch.

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Heinen is pretty bad. Good lord not liking that signing.  Suter is better

He’s just not a top 6. He’s probably trying to do things that he wouldn’t normally cause he’s in that role.

He needs to be on the fourth line. That’s where he should have always been pencilled in.

Put Suter back with Miller and Boeser until Debrusk eventually gets put there.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2

I think the twins need to take the time with EP and evaluate his mobility top to bottom.  They should look at all the tape of where and how he falls. The twins were the masters of fighting through tough checking. The twins could help guide the trainers to what is needed physically.  To help improve EP.

Those two would know.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1