[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

Just now, stawns said:

Should we pretend poor performances were good performances?

No but we can't pretend it's JUST been poor performances. Perfection isn't something to strive for...staying competitive and in the race is. This team has done that.

• Cheers 1

I am overall stoked we got a point in each game. If the team is at 500 when they are discombobulated, we know they will push to 600 and maybe 650 over time when they are ummm combobulated, is that a word? hehe. 

I have been highly entertained in both games, and frankly kind of shocked Calgary had the fire power to come back and push it to OT and win. It proves out why we have to play the games and not just award a trophy to the best lineup on paper. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Optimist Prime said:

I am overall stoked we got a point in each game. If the team is at 500 when they are discombobulated, we know they will push to 600 and maybe 650 over time when they are ummm combobulated, is that a word? hehe. 

I have been highly entertained in both games, and frankly kind of shocked Calgary had the fire power to come back and push it to OT and win. It proves out why we have to play the games and not just award a trophy to the best lineup on paper. 

I'm glad we got loser points these last two games!

Better than nada

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

As for Myers.. I hope he is okay, but if we lose him for a period of time, more than half of us were hoping we lost him last year, tongue in cheek, so is it really that big a loss to lose him to IR for a stretch this early? Nah. I don't mind him at 3m instead of 6m but my complaints of his body of work still remain. 

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Except, it wasnt Calgary flexing their muscles, it was Vancouver doing the same thing did from January on last season, playing one great period and retreating to the fetal position while the other team takes shot after shot after shot and the Canucks do absolutely nothing 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

If you aren't noticing the progress Hoglander's making that's on you not him.

Still has never been a productive top six player... that he is better than he was two years ago is 100% irrelevant to what I said.  His jump in production last year was in limited minutes on the 4th line against weak competition.  That is objective fact.  He played poorly when moved up to Petterson's line in absence of a better option on the roster.

The fact that you can't read a roster and see what lines the coaches literally put on the ice is on you and not on me.  You just aren't smarter than Tocchet and the rest of the coaching staff.  Even with two spots open on the top six filled by journeymen guys who have never been top six players in their careers... they STILL haven't seen Hoglander is the best option to put there.

Maybe he gets a shot next game as the team hasn't produced with Sprong/Heinen in those spots... maybe the coaches keep the lines intact for a few games to work it out.  Who knows... that doesn't change that those players haven't been top six players in their careers.

What I said was that I still have faith in the coaches and management, but it was clear to anyone paying attention that we were going to be left "hoping" that a couple of forwards on the roster are able to make a big step up to play in roles and minutes they never have before in their careers.

It is exactly what Allvin said regarding Mikheyev.  They didn't put the player in a position to succeed and that it was their fault they had to play him in a top six role higher than they should have.  It is what it is in a cap world and management has to make those choices... it doesn't change the objective reality of the fact they are having to do it.  We have to rely on hopes that two of Heinen, Sprong, Hoglander, Sherwood, Joshua, etc can play in a role that they have never done before.  That is in addition to the defence where guys are also going to have to make a big jump to get to the level of where we have them pencilled in on the roster.  Folks crapped all over Suter last year, but he had the most success (albeit limited) as a complementary guy when moved up on the Miller line, something the new guys haven't yet done.

Just now, Provost said:

Still has never been a productive top six player... that he is better than he was two years ago is 100% irrelevant to what I said.  His jump in production last year was in limited minutes on the 4th line against weak competition.  That is objective fact.  He played poorly when moved up to Petterson's line in absence of a better option on the roster.

The fact that you can't read a roster and see what lines the coaches literally put on the ice is on you and not on me.  You just aren't smarter than Tocchet and the rest of the coaching staff.  Even with two spots open on the top six filled by journeymen guys who have never been top six players in their careers... they STILL haven't seen Hoglander is the best option to put there.

Maybe he gets a shot next game as the team hasn't produced with Sprong/Heinen in those spots... maybe the coaches keep the lines intact for a few games to work it out.  Who knows... that doesn't change that those players haven't been top six players in their careers.

What I said was that I still have faith in the coaches and management, but it was clear to anyone paying attention that we were going to be left "hoping" that a couple of forwards on the roster are able to make a big step up to play in roles and minutes they never have before in their careers.

It is exactly what Allvin said regarding Mikheyev.  They didn't put the player in a position to succeed and that it was their fault they had to play him in a top six role higher than they should have.  It is what it is in a cap world and management has to make those choices... it doesn't change the objective reality of the fact they are having to do it.  We have to rely on hopes that two of Heinen, Sprong, Hoglander, Sherwood, Joshua, etc can play in a role that they have never done before.  That is in addition to the defence where guys are also going to have to make a big jump to get to the level of where we have them pencilled in on the roster.  Folks crapped all over Suter last year, but he had the most success (albeit limited) as a complementary guy when moved up on the Miller line, something the new guys haven't yet done.

So you've already decided for this year?

I'm not reading all this...if you have to use this many words you probably are trying too hard to find something that may not be there.

Did I say I was smarter than Tocchet or the coaching staff? LOL. But I think you think maybe you are.

Done. Go Hoglander.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, snowman955 said:

Couldn⁷'t agree more,he looked slow,lost and still unstable on his feet. 

I have faith Petey will Bambi his way to good numbers this year, while drawing penalties along the way. I am low key wondering if getting stronger in his legs and core is taking a particular angle of his game away from him, and he will need time to adjust. All in all, two games is not a great litmus test. FWIW though:

413 points in 409 games played and +56 on the plus minus speaks to just how good he is. 
in our two game sample:

1 assist and +0 on the plusminus and 50% face off wins, with 23.5minutes in game one, a big workload, and 19.5minutes in game two, still a top end work load. 
In one of the next handful of games he will pop off two goals and an assist and everyone will be cheering. 
I am not too concerned until the 20 game mark and we can look at a good enough sample. I will give him 18 more games to judge him on. 

In fact, looking at it with his time on the ice and all the goals against: I see a Petey who is committed to playing a more rounded Defensive game over the two game sample, shrug. With only one assist and nine goals against our team in 120 minutes, and Petey sitting at +-0, that much is clear. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

So you've already decided for this year?

I'm not reading all this...if you have to use this many words you probably are trying too hard to find something that may not be there.

Did I say I was smarter than Tocchet or the coaching staff? LOL. But I think you think maybe you are.

Done. Go Hoglander.

No, you decided to make a shitty post that lied about what I said.  Being toxic and claiming it is because you are a cheerleader doesn't make it less toxic.

Did I ever say Hoglander hasn't improved... no. 

Did you make a snarky post saying I did and that it was some sort of character flaw for me saying it (when I didn't).... yes

Did you then post another snarky comment about me "deciding for the year" that again is lying about anything I posted... yes

Sorry that reading words is too harder for you than making trite uninformed posts.

Go Canucks Go.

Edited by Provost

The opening 20 in game one was on fire. SO we know they 'can' play like that. Not sure what clammed it up from the 2nd to the end of OT though. 

As for last night, I am not that mad about a 2-2 tie going to a long shootout. 

Hogger got our first period goal at even strength: they tied it on the PP. No biggie, PP goals happen.

Bluegers goal was a pretty good line effort that got me cheering out loud in my own house, lol. Then Yorkie had to score even strength in the turd to push it to OT. 
It wasn't like we were blown out of the water as in the previous games last two periods. 
Gonna take some games for everyone to gel and I think maybe just maybe JAY TEE MILL AHHH probably next preseason should get three games in. Not saying he isn't doing his thing, but there is some small rust that probably wont be there after these two games... all in all, i think we will be putting points on the board going forward. Not worried.