[PGT] Vancouver vs Philly

Coconuts

Another disappointing OTL 😞 ... 

Why i'm not panicking: It's only game 2, remember how bad the AV teams were in Oct ? Lankinen looked very good in net, which was great after a worrying performance from Arty in G1. We looked a lot tighter and the overall performance against the flyers was a lot better than either game against them last year. 

Why I'm slightly panicking:  The top 6 are not looking elite by any stretch. Hopefully, the 'core' players will come into form but over the last number of years, we have seen them go from good year to bad year far too often - let's hope that pattern hasn't returned.  Sprong and Heinen don't look like they are adding anything of value to the top of the lineup. While Petey is not in form still, he just looks to me like he's missing that drive and determination he had as a kid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronning4center said:

I dunno man...I think if the narrative remains that we need to shelter and insulate the top 5 highest paid player in the game we need to look very hard at the player....

Is it insulating or is it finding pieces that actually work? Why is MacKinnon playing with rantanen? Why is matthews playing with Tavares or marker and nylander? Why is kucherov playing with point? Why did they sign lindholm to play with pastranak? Those are like the top 5 paid forwards why do they have a 8-11mil player to play? All of them have a linemate that can pass and shoot. Their gm insulate their top player with similar talent to have success. Sure u can point to Crosby and mcdavid but those are generational players. Most elite players play with another star player on their line if not they get players that are compatible with the player at least. We just grab whatever and expect it to work. I never liked the debrusk signing because he was not the type of player ep needs or a player that will take attention off ep

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Why is everyone saying Petey is struggling?  I thought was ok in game 1 and good last night.

Imo, and I've been saying this for a long time, they need to balance the power play.  Theres only one puck, so putting 5 guys who like to have/shoot the puck on one unit makes no sense to me.

Because ppl here thinks ep needs to have 140 points like kucherov to justify his contract. Miller Hughes boeser didnt have points but according to fans they were great 

• Vintage 3

15 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Because ppl here thinks ep needs to have 140 points like kucherov to justify his contract. Miller Hughes boeser didnt have points but according to fans they were great 

I get that and I never would have signed him, or anyone, to that deal.  That said, I can separate that from his play on the ice and, though he hasnt been lights out over the first, he's looked engaged and effective at both ends.

I still think you put garland and hogz on his line

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

As for Myers.. I hope he is okay, but if we lose him for a period of time, more than half of us were hoping we lost him last year, tongue in cheek, so is it really that big a loss to lose him to IR for a stretch this early? Nah. I don't mind him at 3m instead of 6m but my complaints of his body of work still remain. 

As much as we like to complain about Cole and Zadorov, they actually provided some steady presence and they played into the system. 

We started the season weak on D, but the theory was we would get better as the new players learned the system.

The issue is whether the new players CAN play at a level high enough to work the systems. With Myers out we are in an even weaker position and if some of the new guys can't elevate we are in big trouble.

The 10 game mark and getting through the 1st road trip will tell us a lot.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I get that and I never would have signed him, or anyone, to that deal.  That said, I can separate that from his play on the ice and, though he hasnt been lights out over the first, he's looked engaged and effective at both ends.

Garland already proven he doesn’t work in any of the top 6. He was given plenty of chance the last 2 years and it didn’t work once 

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's because Petey has looked average at best for 8 months. Everyone was hoping a summer of rest, rehab?, training, new linemates would at least result in signs he has snapped out of it.

Now with 3 preseason games and 2 regular games, petey hasn't improved 1%, that's why people are concerned.

It isn't just 2 games, it's half a regular season, 2 playoff round, and now the start of a new season. 

During all that we inked him to $11.6. The team met him more than halfway here. It's up to him to have figured it out by now. He should have figured it out by now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

It's because Petey has looked average at best for 8 months. Everyone was hoping a summer of rest, rehab?, training, new linemates would at least result in signs he has snapped out of it.

Now with 3 preseason games and 2 regular games, petey hasn't improved 1%, that's why people are concerned.

It isn't just 2 games, it's half a regular season, 2 playoff round, and now the start of a new season. 

During all that we inked him to $11.6. The team met him more than halfway here. It's up to him to have figured it out by now. He should have figured it out by now.

Lol ya it must be he signed the contract and don’t give a fuk and nothing to do with all of a sudden the hard buy in and taking off a playmaker off his wing and replaced it with grinders or incompatible players 

5 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’m willing to give Debrusk and Petey more time to gel. But I was advocating for Debrusk with Miller and Boeser from day 1.

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Petey - Sprong

Joshua - Suter/Blueger - Garland

Heinen - Suter/Blueger - Sherwood 

Is what I’d like to see once healthy 

Yeah. Give Petey a couple of snipers since he’s doing his best Hank impression lately passing in prime shooting spots.  Just shelter them a bit, since the 3rd and 4th lines can handle some heat.

• ThereItIs 1

If a shake up is required, I’d like to see…

Debrusk EP Boeser

Heinen Miller Sprong

Hogz Blueger Garland

Raty Suter Sherwood 

Maybe Petey having 2 quality wingers will get back his mojo.  I’m confident Miller can carry his line with whomever is on it.

6 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’m willing to give Debrusk and Petey more time to gel. But I was advocating for Debrusk with Miller and Boeser from day 1.

I think DeBrusk was made for the Miller - BB line. My thoughts are that this line will dominate the league. I think Petey and Sprong will be fine. I think Petey needs a bulldog to get the puck, maybe Heinen or Sherwood then get in front of the net when Petey and Sprong cycle. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol ya it must be he signed the contract and don’t give a fuk and nothing to do with all of a sudden the hard buy in and taking off a playmaker off his wing and replaced it with grinders or incompatible players 

What about pp points? He isn't lighting it up there even though he is surrounded by talent. Not shooting, not making plays.

Any other assumed excuses you want to make for him?

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Half heartedly, but i do want to see it looked at:

Petey-Miller-Boeser
Debrusk, Raty, Sprong
Joshua, Blueger, Garland
Heinen Suter Sherwood

Not forever, but maybe three games and see what happens? between Petey, Miller and Raty, we would have a lot of puck posession from FO wins.

• Like 1

To expand,

DeBrusk-Miller-Boeser - str vs str line

Hoglander-Petey-Sprong - offence line

Heinen/Joshua-Raty-Garland - energy line

Suter-Blueger-Sherwood - matchup line

when all healthy.  Heinen, Bains or PDG or whoever while Joshua gets back into shape (I think he’s travelling with the team?)

Petey needs to get himself going.. and Hoglander can get in on the forecheck well enough.  Him and Sprong can both finish.  

In the meantime, load up the other 3 lines and let them cook.

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'll give it couple more games but I feel Debrusk is more suited to be with Boeser and Miller and put Garland and Hogs with Petey until Joshua returns 

• Cheers 1

It's only two games. We got points. Last night was better than the opener. Not panicking.

You could see this coming in how they approached training camp and preseason this season as compared to last year.

Looks to me like they're sacrificing some short term early success in favor of gelling, finding chemistry, and sustaining over the long term. 

I would have rathered a much tighter, dialed in camp and preseason like last year to ensure we get off to a great start. Especially since Demko is out and we'll be at a disadvantage. 

Glad Lankinen was great ... he needed to be. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's only two games. We got points. Last night was better than the opener. Not panicking.

You could see this coming in how they approached training camp and preseason this season as compared to last year.

Looks to me like they're sacrificing some short term early success in favor of gelling, finding chemistry, and sustaining over the long term. 

I would have rathered a much tighter, dialed in camp and preseason like last year to ensure we get off to a great start. Especially since Demko is out and we'll be at a disadvantage. 

Glad Lankinen was great ... he needed to be. 

For sure.  Going to take awhile to judge this all, though. Last year we kind of lost our fastball after the allstar break.  If we start to peak at that time, we won’t be lamenting a slow start at all.  That’s the hope, I guess!

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I don’t get how fans don’t realize this about ep40

i bought his jersey years ago cause he could dangle out of traffic and make you fall and look silly. He would snipe the puck and score. He hasn’t shown he can do either. Holds on to the puck forever and gets blocked.

He wasnt even like this beginning of last season. Canucks regressed  last 30 games of last year partially cause he significantly dropped his point pace. 
11.6 is top 5 aav in the league

i am just hoping he can’t be a top two player on our team. Right now he is no where close

Edited by Mordekai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1