(Proposal) Van-Buffalo Samuelson

Provost

Due to a deep D pool of young guys, Samuelsson has dropped to the 3rd pairing in Buffalo and they Lee have already been rumblings around the team of using a D as a trade chip.

He is young, cost controlled, and big in the mold that the team seems to like.

It pushes Soucy down to the third pairing to stabilize it.  I am fine with a Soucy-Juulsen or Soucy-Myers 3rd pair.

Not sure what it would take and what trade chips we have.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If they keep trading draft picks, the future will look bleak.

If they were more of a contender, I'd be ok with trading a pick- for the 'final piece' to push forward.

But, imo, they are not at contender status-yet.

I don’t agree that we are a real contender either.  The point we are at is adding players piece by piece to complete the roster around the signed players.

A trade for a 24 year old D who is cost controlled at a reasonable cap hit  for 6 more years and can play 20 minutes a night is not like getting a rental final piece.

At this point draft picks will mostly miss the window of the current guys, we missed the boat on having cheap ELC guys filling holes.  Now someone drafted in 2025 or 26 won’t be ready to play a significant role until it is too late.  We are pretty much all in now.

We are short two top four D.  Making this trade and then finding another bandaid on the right side gets us through until a guy like Willander earns a spot.

A third pairing with Soucy is a good spot to develop Willander.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3

53 minutes ago, Provost said:

Due to a deep D pool of young guys, Samuelsson has dropped to the 3rd pairing in Buffalo and they Lee have already been rumblings around the team of using a D as a trade chip.

He is young, cost controlled, and big in the mold that the team seems to like.

It pushes Soucy down to the third pairing to stabilize it.  I am fine with a Soucy-Juulsen or Soucy-Myers 3rd pair.

Not sure what it would take and what trade chips we have.

Sabres are grossly overpaying Dahlin. He stinks. 

5 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Would be a nice target! Probably costs something like D Petey and some picks. When you think about it that’s probably a similar cost to the guys we’d want at the deadline. At least Samuelsson has 6 years after this season at a decent cap number. So you’re buying a long term top 4 guy.

Who? 

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Would be a nice target! Probably costs something like D Petey and some picks. When you think about it that’s probably a similar cost to the guys we’d want at the deadline. At least Samuelsson has 6 years after this season at a decent cap number. So you’re buying a long term top 4 guy.

Could be,  Buffalo also wants to be better now so may be wanting a roster player.

We do have lots of bottom six wingers, so you throw one of them in with D Petey and a mid round pick wouldn’t be too much to give up.  I don’t think we drop quality that far by putting in one of Aman, Bains, Karlsson on the 4th line instead of one of our current guys.  I can imagine he might be attractive as a pick up to a lot of teams though… it would be trying to jump on it before everyone else starts deciding to make their adjustments.

I am less worried about giving up picks for guys who are signed for a while.  They fill the spot you are hoping a prospect will fill.  You are losing the cheaper ELC years, but gaining a better player who is ready now and is on a team friendly deal long term.  2nd pairing D like this as a UFA next year will be earning $6 million plus.  The only reason Buffalo is considering trading him is an embarrassment of riches on LD.

Hughes-XX

Samuelson-Hronek

Soucy-Myers/Willander 

That would be a locked up defensive core for a while.  If you have a bandaid veteran beside Hughes… they can drop in the lineup as Willander progresses.  In the meantime Willander is protected and can start shuttling into the lineup even as an occasion injury replacement as early as next season.  Then he takes Myers spot as soon as he can earn it.

Edited by Provost

Interesting player depending on the acquisition cost. I wonder if he's a player that management has identified. Buffalo is not known for developing talent and he's young and cost controlled. With good coaching he could turn into a player. I wonder if he can be grabbed for a similar price to Zadorov.

• Vintage 1