Team is still missing a scoring power forward in the top six on the wing?

Canuckfanforlife82

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Not sure we actually need one. DeBrusk-Petey should be a really good pair. Joshua didn't do great with Petey last year, but maybe with debrusk in the mix it can work? 

I'm not sold on the sprong experiment. 

We need a D upgrade more than anything imo

But it's early, we'll see

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Too much emphasis on two way play and deflections. We need more players who are shooters who actually want to shoot. It feels like we consistently wait for 8 bodies to appear in a shooting lane before shooting. The Philly announcers mentioned that against Calgary Huggy had 7 shot attempts. Guess how many were blocked. 7. Deflections are high quality, I get it. But a shot and a rebound is also quite potent of a weapon.

I also agree we could use some drivers of the pucks, ideally a powerforward type to run the net and cause havoc. Horvat was quite good at that. I don't think we have anyone who is adept at driving the net. Miller likes to setup in the ozone and try force passes through the middle of the ice, Boeser isn't really a puck handler, Petey is too weak, DeBrusk is too new but maybe he can do it. I could be way off basis here, but it feels like we're a non-threat off the rush.

Team is missing a second passer on the ep line. They need a guy that can make a play and setup when ep is being double team. Until they have that teams are not afraid to double triple ep. Also why are they not putting ep on the left side on the pp for the 1 timer? All the right handed sniper shoots their 1 timer from the left side in the league.. and we have ep shooting across his body and the goalies body for the blocker side.. miller doesn’t shoot 1 timer anyways from the left side.. we are literally taking away the higher percentage 1 timer shot for a lower percentage awkward 1 timer from a right shot on the right side. Switch ep and miller side on the pp so we actually have a legit cross ice 1 timer on the pp instead of a higher difficulty one timer with ep having to wait for the puck across his body and then shoot it back to the far left across the body since ideally u don’t want to shoot on the goalies glove side

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

Team is missing a second passer on the ep line. They need a guy that can make a play and setup when ep is being double team. Until they have that teams are not afraid to double triple ep. Also why are they not putting ep on the left side on the pp for the 1 timer? All the right handed sniper shoots their 1 timer from the left side in the league.. and we have ep shooting across his body and the goalies body for the blocker side.. miller doesn’t shoot 1 timer anyways from the left side.. we are literally taking away the higher percentage 1 timer shot for a lower percentage awkward 1 timer from a right shot on the right side. Switch ep and miller side on the pp so we actually have a legit cross ice 1 timer on the pp instead of a higher difficulty one timer with ep having to wait for the puck across his body and then shoot it back to the far left across the body since ideally u don’t want to shoot on the goalies glove side

Lekkerimaki will be up and with Petey and Debrusk soon enough. 

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

We do but Joshua might help spark Petey. 

Maybe, but I think folks are also being a tad quick to jump on him

Yeah, he's gotta produce, but it's been two games 

Obviously concerning if it continues, but two games at this point

Matthews has zero points through three games, shit happens

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Im not focusing on the doom patrol, just wondering what the best mix for Petey is. Sprong concerns me, not sure he's not a liability.

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Not sure we actually need one. DeBrusk-Petey should be a really good pair. Joshua didn't do great with Petey last year, but maybe with debrusk in the mix it can work? 

I'm not sold on the sprong experiment. 

Joshua played a total of 24 mins ES with Petey last season.

15 mins was with Joshua - Pettersson - Garland (6 shots for, 6 shots against)

9 mins was with Joshua - Pettersson - Lafferty (4 shots for, 8 shots against)

That's an extremely small sample size to take anything from. Would like to see Petey with Garland & Joshua for a longer stint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Im not focusing on the doom patrol, just wondering what the best mix for Petey is. Sprong concerns me, not sure he's not a liability.

Ahhh, that's fair, I guess time will tell

He brings a skill element to the line, we'll see how things go as time goes on

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

i dunno i'm just watching kuzmenko with the flames his ability to draw defenders to him and then pass the puck to setup another player.. we are missing that on EP's wing. right now EP is drawing all the players to him and he have to get thru all of them. debrusk and sprong simply don't draw any defenders away from EP.. and they certainly ain't taking advantage of it and unable to setup a play with the free space themselves.

22 hours ago, Blue said:

No. We added a top 6 in DeBrusk

It seems like we do this every year. Some say we perpetually need a top 6 player and a top D man, all through he season. It was also said after we added Lindholm and Zadorov

It isn't about what we'd like but how the team compares to other top 6's. And D pairs. 

Well, we essentially traded Kuzmenko for Lindholm for Debrusk.

So we didn't add a Top 6, we replaced one in each case.

And in each case we were already a Top 6 player short - meaning we're still one (or even 2) Top 6 players short.

The reason I say perhaps 2 players short is because I think Garland has shown he can produce at a Top 6 level, so if he's played in the Top 6 I think we're only one short. But he rarely is.

Even Debrusk has only had one season where he legitimately produced at a Top 6 level (though I think he will this year).

Besides that, who of Sprong, Heinen, Hoglander etc will produce in a legitimate, meaningful way on either of the top 2 lines? Their histories would say none of them.

So to compare our Top 6 to Edmonton's - and besides the big names on each respective roster, we have career P/PG of:

Boeser 0.80, Garland 0.60, Debrusk 0.57, Heinen 0.44

vs

RNH 0.79, Hyman 0.68, Skinner 0.67, Arvidsson 0.66

Based on your suggestion, I'm of the opinion we are absolutely at least one Top 6 player short.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/13/2024 at 8:08 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

One thing I think is still missing from this team is a big scoring power forward on the wing.

You mean like Kuzmenko?   Too late!   A high scoring old swede forward like Lind-🏠 is the solution and worth more than a proven 40 Goal scorer like Kuz that played very well and complimented 11-6, along with 2 draft picks (including a very valuable first), two prospects (one of them very promising) and P.A.'s reputation.

Oh wait!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You mean like Kuzmenko?   Too late!   A high scoring old swede forward like Lind-🏠 is the solution and worth more than a proven 40 Goal scorer like Kuz that played very well and complimented 11-6, along with 2 draft picks (including a very valuable first), two prospects (one of them very promising) and P.A.'s reputation.

Oh wait!

We dumperooed a selfish player and it cost us Bustowitz. Lindboomers is a slug. Not as bad as SLOWdorov though. We dodged bullets with those losers. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We dumperooed a selfish player and it cost us Bustowitz. Lindboomers is a slug. Not as bad as SLOWdorov though. We dodged bullets with those losers. 

I agree but wow -  that was still a really, really bad trade and cost us 4 future assets (let alone a goal scorer albeit a one sided offensive player), all for nothing.   One of the worst trades P.A. ever made and why our prospect pool/farm team is void of anything more than maybe a potential 3rd/4th line forward and zero quality defensemen because of endless trading away of draft picks (something JR said he would NOT do (like JB) - when he arrived here)!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree but wow -  that was still a really, really bad trade and cost us 4 future assets (let alone a goal scorer albeit a one sided offensive player), all for nothing.   One of the worst trades P.A. ever made and why our prospect pool/farm team is void of anything more than maybe a potential 3rd/4th line forward and zero quality defensemen because of endless trading away of draft picks (something JR said he would NOT do (like JB) - when he arrived here)!

Bustowitz will never be an nhl player on a winning team. We’ve got the best prospect pool Weber ever had. We win! 

7 hours ago, nzan said:

Well, we essentially traded Kuzmenko for Lindholm for Debrusk.

So we didn't add a Top 6, we replaced one in each case.

And in each case we were already a Top 6 player short - meaning we're still one (or even 2) Top 6 players short.

The reason I say perhaps 2 players short is because I think Garland has shown he can produce at a Top 6 level, so if he's played in the Top 6 I think we're only one short. But he rarely is.

Even Debrusk has only had one season where he legitimately produced at a Top 6 level (though I think he will this year).

Besides that, who of Sprong, Heinen, Hoglander etc will produce in a legitimate, meaningful way on either of the top 2 lines? Their histories would say none of them.

So to compare our Top 6 to Edmonton's - and besides the big names on each respective roster, we have career P/PG of:

Boeser 0.80, Garland 0.60, Debrusk 0.57, Heinen 0.44

vs

RNH 0.79, Hyman 0.68, Skinner 0.67, Arvidsson 0.66

Based on your suggestion, I'm of the opinion we are absolutely at least one Top 6 player short.

The big numbers for these guys are they not based of being on a PP unit with the best player in the world and you could argue 2 of the top 5 forwards in the NHL?

Garland doesn't play PP, and I have no idea about DeBrusk and Heinen. But the kind of hockey Oilers play is also vastly different to Canucks hockey. 

You don't need to score at a super high pace, if you can keep the opposition at a lower score, something Tocchet values very much. A player like Suter may not score as much, although I think he is more of a top 6 than Heinen.?

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

The big numbers for these guys are they not based of being on a PP unit with the best player in the world and you could argue 2 of the top 5 forwards in the NHL?

Garland doesn't play PP, and I have no idea about DeBrusk and Heinen. But the kind of hockey Oilers play is also vastly different to Canucks hockey. 

You don't need to score at a super high pace, if you can keep the opposition at a lower score, something Tocchet values very much. A player like Suter may not score as much, although I think he is more of a top 6 than Heinen.?

Oilers are certainly an extreme comparison, but the original point was we need to compare our Top 6 to the teams around us.

Suter, Heinen and dozens of other similar guys always get tried in our Top 6 because in the last 20 years we’ve so rarely had 6 players that legitimately belong there.

I think our team is great, I just always see our scoring dry up at the worst times - if there was a way to add another legit scorer/producer I don’t think that would happen.

• Cheers 1