Team is still missing a scoring power forward in the top six on the wing?

Canuckfanforlife82

3 hours ago, nzan said:

Oilers are certainly an extreme comparison, but the original point was we need to compare our Top 6 to the teams around us.

Suter, Heinen and dozens of other similar guys always get tried in our Top 6 because in the last 20 years we’ve so rarely had 6 players that legitimately belong there.

I think our team is great, I just always see our scoring dry up at the worst times - if there was a way to add another legit scorer/producer I don’t think that would happen.

No and I get you point...

In the end its about dollars and dimes... There is rarely enough in the Kitty to have a great top 6, a good 3rd line and a gritty 4th line, all while having a fab defence as well...

It would have been great had Lekkerimaki been ready just about now and same with Willander, as player with ability and at low cost are a must.

It will be interesting to see how we progress amigo.

• Like 1

its early, work with what we got first. its more important to get lines that are in sync and forms chemistry that produces chances. thats what the top 6 are supposed to be doing. be it strong powerforwards, snipers, danglers, playmakers or grinders. u have to try what we have been dealt and try and find that perfect chemistry.  

On 10/13/2024 at 8:08 AM, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

One thing I think is still missing from this team is a big scoring power forward on the wing. I think it would be perfect for a player like Petey to have a winger who creates space and time. They really haven’t had one since Bertuzzi. I know they don’t grow on trees. I always wanted a player like a Lawson Crouse from Utah, maybe if Utah is out, the Canucks can pry a player like that from them. I know some will say Dakota Joshua but he is a perfect third line player not a top 6 forward. Thoughts?

Yeah 32 teams would like an extra top 6 power forward 😂

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

He'll probably never be a top six winger, but wouldn't it be nice if Alriksson turned out to be that power forward?

Alriksson sure looked good in camp. He has the toughness too. The only question remains if he can play (process) fast enough to be more than a banger. He’s got all the physical tools and toughness. 

The grass is always greener...

Joshua was on pace to smash Crouse's career season until he broke his hand, with less minutes and significantly less PP time.

Joshua led the playoffs in hits... until the finals! Do you know what that means? The 4 teams that made it to the semis didn't have one player who hit as much as him - even with an extra round!

So yes, we're missing Joshua. Good news: he'll be back soon.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, D-Money said:

The grass is always greener...

Joshua was on pace to smash Crouse's career season until he broke his hand, with less minutes and significantly less PP time.

Joshua led the playoffs in hits... until the finals! Do you know what that means? The 4 teams that made it to the semis didn't have one player who hit as much as him - even with an extra round!

So yes, we're missing Joshua. Good news: he'll be back soon.

I do wonder if Tocchet thinks about promoting both Dak and Garland to Peteys line.

Debrusk Miller Boeser would be awesome I think.

And the chemistry Joshua and Garland have would benefit Petey - and vice versa.

A whole season of that could see Joshua hitting 45 points, Petey 90 points, Garland 60 points.

That would be extremely legit second line production in my mind.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nzan said:

I do wonder if Tocchet thinks about promoting both Dak and Garland to Peteys line.

Debrusk Miller Boeser would be awesome I think.

And the chemistry Joshua and Garland have would benefit Petey - and vice versa.

A whole season of that could see Joshua hitting 45 points, Petey 90 points, Garland 60 points.

That would be extremely legit second line production in my mind.

Did Garland/Blueger/Joshua play against opponent top 2 lines much last season (I have no idea)? It would be interesting to see them on Peteys wing some time during this season.

Edited by Bonkers

Kuzmenko with 4 assist so far in 3 games and actually looked like the kuzmenko from the 1st season. Maybe it is coaching style issue with EP struggle. Small sample size but I think kuz looked not bad to end the season and the start so far. Maybe tocchet should consider let his scoring line play with more freedom rather than coach them into grinders. Works fine for mcdavid and drai.. they rarely play defence and take infinite chances. Maybe we don’t need another top 6 and time to give them more freedom to play their own game 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Kuzmenko with 4 assist so far in 3 games and actually looked like the kuzmenko from the 1st season. Maybe it is coaching style issue with EP struggle. Small sample size but I think kuz looked not bad to end the season and the start so far. Maybe tocchet should consider let his scoring line play with more freedom rather than coach them into grinders. Works fine for mcdavid and drai.. they rarely play defence and take infinite chances. Maybe we don’t need another top 6 and time to give them more freedom to play their own game 

While it might be the case, Bruce did let them play free flowing, and did not get the team to the playoffs... 

Or you can say, that if McD and Drai could play a bit of defence, Oilers would be lifting at least 1 cup by now... 

I do remember the the old saying "offence wins games, Defence wins championships"...

So who knows...You may have a point...Let's see how Flames look by game 40.

• ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, schmautzie said:

In hindsight Anthony Mantha would have been a better signing than Danton Heinen . Mantha is a legitimate top six power forward while Heinen is bottom six at best whose role could have been filled by a much cheaper option.

Yeah maybe, an extra $1.25 mil though.

40 minutes ago, spook007 said:

While it might be the case, Bruce did let them play free flowing, and did not get the team to the playoffs... 

Or you can say, that if McD and Drai could play a bit of defence, Oilers would be lifting at least 1 cup by now... 

I do remember the the old saying "offence wins games, Defence wins championships"...

So who knows...You may have a point...Let's see how Flames look by game 40.

bruce let the entire team play free flowing though. i mean you have 4 lines.. miller line is doing fine in the current style.. and then u have 2 other grinder line.. you don't need all 4 lines to be grinders

bruce let the entire team play free flowing though. i mean you have 4 lines.. miller line is doing fine in the current style.. and then u have 2 other grinder line.. you don't need all 4 lines to be grinders

It's been discussed a fair bit that this season RT is coaching them to be more open, aggressive, faster skating, and to drive to the net more. It's not a night and day thing and will take time but I saw evidence of them playing a more direct and offensive minded game.

Gotta keep in mind he's playing with 2 brand new teammates. Needs some time to come together.

• Cheers 1

I think we are gonna have to live with it for three years until the deadcap space is reclaimed from OEL and Ilya Mikheyev's retention and even this years half a million on Poolman. It ties up over 3.5 million this year, 5.5million next year and 4.75million in 26-27. That is a sweet add for 27-28 though, assuming no more wasted money. 
As for the growing cap next summer and the summer after that: we need to spend it on Defence, IMO> 

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Doesn't Lindholm have 5 points in 3 games? Contract was out of our range. 

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, schmautzie said:

In hindsight Anthony Mantha would have been a better signing than Danton Heinen . Mantha is a legitimate top six power forward while Heinen is bottom six at best whose role could have been filled by a much cheaper option.

Mantha doesn't typically play that way though, one of the knocks on his game is that he doesn't engage physically as much as he could for being such a big dude 

For example, in 74 games between the Caps and Knights last season he threw a whopping 55 hits 

Go back to 22-23 and he threw 68 hits in 67 games, that's a better rate but still not great if you're wanting a more physical presence 

Mantha could be a power forward of sorts if he wanted to be, but he tends to play more of a skill game 

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I think that could be part of it

Kuzmenko's totals were absolutely inflated by his shooting percentage but he clearly had offensive skill, if he's getting more freedom to play a creative offensive game in Calgary it's not surprising that he'd produce 

Tocchett can coach, but his skill guys aren't all made in the mold of hockey player Rick Tocchett, Kuzmenko wasn't either 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Doesn't Lindholm have 5 points in 3 games? Contract was out of our range. 

he is playing in a much better situation than he was in calgary or vancouver.. he's getting top line minutes playing with pastrnak and marchand and not put in a exclusive shutdown role like he was in vancouver.. it's unlikely he would have 5 points in 3 games let alone 3 points in 3 games if he continues to play his 3rd line role here. 

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think that could be part of it

Kuzmenko's totals were absolutely inflated by his shooting percentage but he clearly had offensive skill, if he's getting more freedom to play a creative offensive game in Calgary it's not surprising that he'd produce 

Tocchett can coach, but his skill guys aren't all made in the mold of hockey player Rick Tocchett, Kuzmenko wasn't either 

which is a big issue.. EP is a good defender that is highly skilled and creative.. but creativity tends to lead to turnover and that's a big nono for RT.. look at all the top players in the league and their turnover ratio.. they are usually near the top of the league.. ep turnover is like less than the league average for the amount of minutes he plays... can EP change his playstyle where he can score by playing a straight line point a to point b game? i am not so sure.. it may or may not be coaching.. but it's already alienating EP from the fan base where they are ready to pitch fork him out of town.

• Cheers 2

he is playing in a much better situation than he was in calgary or vancouver.. he's getting top line minutes playing with pastrnak and marchand and not put in a exclusive shutdown role like he was in vancouver.. it's unlikely he would have 5 points in 3 games let alone 3 points in 3 games if he continues to play his 3rd line role here. 

which is a big issue.. EP is a good defender that is highly skilled and creative.. but creativity tends to lead to turnover and that's a big nono for RT.. look at all the top players in the league and their turnover ratio.. they are usually near the top of the league.. ep turnover is like less than the league average for the amount of minutes he plays... can EP change his playstyle where he can score by playing a straight line point a to point b game? i am not so sure.. it may or may not be coaching.. but it's already alienating EP from the fan base where they are ready to pitch fork him out of town.

Yup, bang on. Lot of top of the league forwards on this list.

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask?q=2023-2024+nhl+most+giveaway+leaders

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

True, but you need to be able to defend... Not saying they need to be grinders.

No good you score 40 if the opposition scores 80, while you are on the ice... 

Think they need to be able to play both ways... Lets see how it plays out.

PS. I've also mentioned before, I have a feeling that Petey is been trying too become an elite two way player, and it may have cost him some of his creativity going forward, being defensively responsible for himself and team mates... not sure though.

Edited by spook007

Certainly would be nice to have, but not the team's most pressing need imo. What the team needs is a very good #3 D man to anchor the 2nd pair. Hopefully that's Willander.

The way I see it is the only glaring weakness on the Canucks is the 2nd D pair, everything else is above average to excellent.