OMG Snow! Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

Excellent deducing skills!! 😎

Are you popsicle-ized yet?? -39⁰ windchill over here this morning!! 

Lol unfortunately I don’t have the time to get that. Got the kids to school, shovelled the driveway. Split a bunch of firewood then I’m currently hitting the gym. 🤑

Snow falls on Lower Mainland   

Posted January 11, 2024 2:39 pm.

Last Updated January 11, 2024 3:22 pm.

The first real blast of winter of 2024 is hitting Metro Vancouver and the Fraser Valley Thursday, with snow and sub-zero temperatures gripping the region.

Callers to CityNews have noted snow in places like Burnaby, Richmond, Coquitlam, the North Shore, Surrey, Port Moody, and Vancouver.

The snow comes after Environment and Climate Change Canada issued an arctic outflow warning for the Lower Mainland, lasting until Saturday afternoon.

“Arctic air combined with strong outflow winds gusting to 60 km/h will generate wind chill values of minus 20 beginning tonight,” the agency said.

“Wind chill values may moderate on Saturday afternoon but uncertainty remains on the timing of the warm-up. Frostbite and hypothermia can occur within minutes if adequate precautions are not taken when outdoors. Any skin exposure will result in frostbite.”

Snow falls in Port Moody on Jan. 11, 2024
Snow falls in Port Moody on Jan. 11, 2024.
Snow falls in Port Moody on Jan. 11, 2024.
Open Gallery8 items

“There’s a ton of snow coming down, every which way,” said Candy, who called CityNews from East Vancouver.

Drivers are being reminded to drive to conditions. Appropriate tires are required on all out-of-town highways.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/11/snow-fall-metro-vancouver/

#snowmaggeddon2024 🤡

6 hours ago, MattJVD said:

I just moved back to Victoria from Edmonton so I will bitterly complain about any and all snow. I paid twice as much for a house half the size to escape winter, damn it.

I grew up in the west coast, I'll take the cold over the never ending rain and cloud cover, it's not for me. I get it, the snow and cold isn't for everyone, just like the rain and clouds aren't for me.

6 minutes ago, 6YPE said:

I grew up in the west coast, I'll take the cold over the never ending rain and cloud cover, it's not for me. I get it, the snow and cold isn't for everyone, just like the rain and clouds aren't for me.

Victoria gets less annual precipitation than Rome, it's really not bad. Vancouver gets about twice as much as Victoria

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Cerridwen said:

Couldn't find an OMG COLD!!! thread and didn't want to start one just for a single post....

It be a wee bit chilly in Q-Town tonight....

Screenshot_20240111_191620_AccuWeather.jpg

I got you beat young lady  😛

42 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Victoria gets less annual precipitation than Rome, it's really not bad. Vancouver gets about twice as much as Victoria

I grew up in the Fraser Valley, averaging 8.4 months of cloud cover per year for 40+ years, I was becoming extremely depressed, I had to move away for my own mental health and I can completely understand how weather can affect someone. Do what's best for you, whatever it takes to make you happy. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 6YPE said:

It's no secret I hate rain. I also hate winter but rain is the absolute worst.

2 hours ago, 6YPE said:

I grew up in the Fraser Valley, averaging 8.4 months of cloud cover per year for 40+ years, I was becoming extremely depressed, I had to move away for my own mental health and I can completely understand how weather can affect someone. Do what's best for you, whatever it takes to make you happy. 

Oh fair enough man. Sorry, I wasn't trying to discount your experience. I think Victoria gets unfairly labelled as 'rainy' so I was trying to dispel the misconception. By saying it's rain fall pattern is more like Italy than it is Vancouver.

22 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

It's no secret I hate rain. I also hate winter but rain is the absolute worst.

I'm with you. My wife always says "It doesn't matter where you live in Canada you still have to wear a coat in the winter".  I prefer it's not a raincoat... I can easily deal with -33 and sunny, can't stand two weeks of 7 and rain .. 

Just now, MattJVD said:

Oh fair enough man. Sorry, I wasn't trying to discount your experience. I think Victoria gets unfairly labelled as 'rainy' so I was trying to dispel the misconception. That it's rain fall pattern is more like Italy than it is Vancouver.

I got you, it's cool .. I did spend a few years in sunny Surrey, so there are some areas that get less rain for sure and I know Vic gets less, live in the place that makes your heart sing, we're all having our own experience and it's different for us all. 

• Like 1

Lots of under- and un-prepared drivers on the road this evening.  A commute that normally takes 60 minutes on a shitty traffic day took 2.5 hours this evening.  (On a good day, it would take 25 minutes.)

Hoping those jokers get spooked enough tonight that they stay off the roads tomorrow.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Lots of under- and un-prepared drivers on the road this evening.  A commute that normally takes 60 minutes on a shitty traffic day took 2.5 hours this evening.  (On a good day, it would take 25 minutes.)

Hoping those jokers get spooked enough tonight that they stay off the roads tomorrow.

Idiots out there with summer tires. 

Hwy 91 and 99 were fucked as a result. 

Got home an hour ago. So pissed. 

• Cheers 1

Yesterday, Google Maps showed my route home as mostly (95%) dark red with a number of "collision" icons along the route for good measure.  Took me 150 minutes to travel a 25 minute commute (at speed on a good day).

Today, it's showing green, almost as if there's fuck all traffic out there.

I'm so looking forward to my commute home tonight.  :towel:

Road maintenance crews say they can only do so much in winter weather chaos

Vehicles on Highway 1 in North Vancouver stuck on the Cut amid snowfall on Jan. 11, 2024.
Vehicles on Highway 1 in North Vancouver stuck on the Cut amid snowfall on Jan. 11, 2024. (Courtesy DriveBC)

Posted January 12, 2024 6:09 pm.

Last Updated January 12, 2024 6:32 pm.

Drivers across the region had a long, icy commute home Thursday, and many took to social media to vent their frustrations, saying more could have been done to prevent the chaos.

But some of those working to maintain the roads say only so much can be done to mitigate challenging conditions.

Darren Ell with Mainroad Lower Mainland Contracting says when temperatures drop as quickly as they did, the salt and brine on the roads freeze too. He says once temperatures get below -6 C, they become less effective.

“So that slows the process down,” Ell said. “Brine works a little bit colder so typically, when you have cold roads, you have snow coming down, it will stick to the roads. If you plow it off or if it’s cold enough, it will stick around.”

Meanwhile, the City of Vancouver says crews were out for days ahead of Thursday’s deep freeze, salting and brining the streets.

“Salt and brine assist with improving the condition on major routes ahead of snow accumulation but can’t entirely mitigate the challenging winter road conditions like those we saw yesterday evening when temperatures dropped rapidly, leading to the sudden appearance of black ice conditions across the city,” said City of Vancouver Manager of Street Operations Amy Sidwell.

“This was particularly challenging during rush hour, when there is more traffic on the roads, but our crews quickly worked to address the conditions with renewed brine and salt treatments, continuing with that work overnight. We’ve since seen conditions significantly improve as a result.”

The City of Coquitlam also says it pre-salted key routes in the city.

“Unfortunately, due to the intensity of the flurries which left surfaces quite wet quickly followed by plummeting temperatures, ice formed quickly on the road surfaces, especially on the north-south hills of southwest Coquitlam, making it difficult for commuters,” the city said in a statement. “Efforts have continued today with crews applying a mixture of sand and salt in light of the ongoing extreme cold weather conditions.”

Ell says regardless of the situation on the streets, people need to be prepared for winter driving, and if you don’t feel comfortable being on the road, stay home.

“We have vehicles that we come across that are spun out that are not suitable for driving in winter events,” he said. “So again, if you don’t have to be on the road, don’t be on the road. If you don’t feel comfortable with being on the road, stay at home.”

Ell says it only takes one or two vehicles spinning out to create gridlock, which also delays plows and other trucks that get stuck in the same traffic.

He also says if you must be on the road during this type of weather, make sure your car is equipped with proper tires.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/12/lower-mainland-snow-roads-maintenance/

On 1/11/2024 at 10:40 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It certainly was a tale of two worlds...I was dreading driving from Aldergrove to Maple Ridge and man was I surprised. No snow or ice but the wind was killer esp trying to walk to the car. Seeing all the videos from Van and Burnaby I was very thankful it was a normal drive home

28 minutes ago, futurefilm said:

It certainly was a tale of two worlds...I was dreading driving from Aldergrove to Maple Ridge and man was I surprised. No snow or ice but the wind was killer esp trying to walk to the car. Seeing all the videos from Van and Burnaby I was very thankful it was a normal drive home

Yeah, I heard on the traffic reports that day that the snow-induced problems were more or less limited to north of the Fraser; places like White Rock, Surrey, Langley (and possibly beyond) were spared the mayhem because most of the snow that fell (and froze on the roads) were on the north side (Richmond, New West, Coquitlam, Burnaby, Vancouver) of the lower mainland, and generally to the north of the Fraser.

35 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Yeah, I heard on the traffic reports that day that the snow-induced problems were more or less limited to north of the Fraser; places like White Rock, Surrey, Langley (and possibly beyond) were spared the mayhem because most of the snow that fell (and froze on the roads) were on the north side (Richmond, New West, Coquitlam, Burnaby, Vancouver) of the lower mainland, and generally to the north of the Fraser.

Yeah, I live in Langley and work in Chilliwack.  All my drives were super easy.  Judging by the forecast, not looking forward to Wednesday morning.

Time to prepare as significant snow on the way for much of Metro Vancouver

A snowfall warning was issued early Tuesday for Metro Vancouver, the western Fraser Valley, the Sea-to-Sky corridor and much of Vancouver Island. CityNews Meteorologist Michael Kuss expects the heaviest of the snow during Wednesday morning's commute. (CityNews Image)
A snowfall warning was issued early Tuesday for Metro Vancouver, the western Fraser Valley, the Sea-to-Sky corridor and much of Vancouver Island. CityNews Meteorologist Michael Kuss expects the heaviest of the snow during Wednesday morning's commute. (CityNews Image)

Posted January 16, 2024 7:09 am.

It will be less shivering and more shovelling over the next 24 hours for B.C.’s South Coast as temperatures warm up and the latest winter storm sweeps in, bringing the threat of significant snowfall late Tuesday evening through Wednesday morning.

Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) issued a warning early Tuesday for Metro Vancouver, the western Fraser Valley, the Sea-to-Sky corridor and much of Vancouver Island, saying the expectant low-pressure system will bring “widespread snow.”

“The precipitation starts late evening — we’re expecting that wet weather to slide in near midnight starting as mixed precipitation turning over to snow through the overnight,” said CityNews Meteorologist Michael Kuss.

“There will be heavy bands of snow for most of the area but mixed precipitation right along the coast with some of that warmer air just permeating the western parts of the Lower Mainland.”

Kuss expects the heaviest snow through the Wednesday morning commute.

“It looks like in a window between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. and then tapering off late in the morning, so the morning drive isn’t going to be a good one.”

“There’s still going to be snow around as the road crews work away into the afternoon. Away from the water, 15 to 20 centimetres of snow is not out of the question,” Kuss explained.

In a statement issued Monday evening, the province’s Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure says its maintenance crews are preparing for the weather in Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley and Vancouver Island.

“We have heavy tow equipment in place at key areas such as major bridges in the Lower Mainland,” said Rob Fleming, minister of transportation and infrastructure.

Cable collar systems, which are used to clear snow and ice on the Port Mann and Alex Fraser bridges, will also go into operation if necessary.

“We have the technology in place, but it’s very manual. You need to have skilled people who go up for a job that you and I probably wouldn’t want to do, which is scaling those cables and basically breaking off ice accumulations,” Fleming told CityNews.

“We pre-position those to be in place and have data that shows how much is accumulating. When it reaches a threshold where it needs to be cleared, we do that as quickly as possible, making any temporary lane closures that are needed so that none of it falls on cars.”

The province is urging people to try to avoid travelling by vehicle Tuesday evening and into Wednesday morning if conditions get bad.

It adds that bridges and roads may be closed to traffic for safety if the weather requires it.

ECCC adds there is a risk of freezing rain Tuesday night near southern sections of the coast near the United States border.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/16/significant-snowfall-bc-south-coast-storm/

• Upvote 1

Most of B.C. under snowfall warning, with up to 20 cm expected in southern areas

Snow forecast for Tuesday night into Wednesday morning as low-pressure system moves in from Pacific

CBC News · Posted: Jan 16, 2024 6:50 AM PST | Last Updated: 4 hours ago
Two people walk two dogs and one carries a sled.
A pair of dog walkers carry a sled through the heavy snow falling Prince George, B.C. on the morning of Jan. 16, 2024. (Andrew Kurjata/CBC)

Snowfall warnings are in place for more than two dozen regions in British Columbia, with up to 20 centimetres of snow expected to accumulate in some places Tuesday night into Wednesday morning. 

After a week of record-setting cold temperatures due to Arctic air blowing across the province, Environment Canada says a Pacific low-pressure system is now about to replace that, bringing with it widespread snow.

Around two-thirds of the province are covered by a snowfall warning, which says 10-20 centimetres will fall along the South Coast. Depending on temperatures, the precipitation could also become freezing rain in some areas.

More at URL https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/snowfall-warnings-british-columbia-jan-16-2024-1.7085003