OMG Snow! Thread

Sharpshooter

How many snowstorms until Lower Mainland has cohesive response? New West councillor asks

Trucks and other vehicles on snow-covered roads amid major gridlock following a storm in Metro Vancouver
Trucks and other vehicles on snow-covered roads amid major gridlock following a storm in Metro Vancouver on Nov. 29, 2022. (Image Credit: Shane MacKichan / CityNews)

Posted January 16, 2024 1:11 pm.

A New Westminster city councillor is questioning whether the Lower Mainland is ready for another snowstorm, expected to hit Tuesday night, with no coordinated snow-response across the region.

Coun. Daniel Fontaine says little has changed in the year since he first pushed the idea of holding a “snow summit,” which he hoped would include provincial and regional leaders, and other experts, working together to ensure another snowstorm wouldn’t shut down the region.

“We’re facing another major snowstorm, and I’m hoping we’ll do better than we did a week or so ago, but I’m not convinced,” he told CityNews, referring to last week’s blast of snow.

A snowfall warning was issued early Tuesday for Metro Vancouver, the western Fraser Valley, the Sea-to-Sky corridor and much of Vancouver Island. CityNews Meteorologist Michael Kuss expects the heaviest of the snow during Wednesday morning's commute. (CityNews Image) A snowfall warning was issued early Tuesday for Metro Vancouver, the western Fraser Valley, the Sea-to-Sky corridor and much of Vancouver Island. CityNews Meteorologist Michael Kuss expects the heaviest of the snow during Wednesday morning’s commute. (CityNews Image)

While bridges shutting down can be chalked up to an inconvenience for many, it can mean the difference between life and death if first responders get stuck in traffic, too.

“I don’t know how many more snowstorms and snow events it’s going to take in order to convince our regional leadership and the Province of B.C. to actually [come] together, all the experts and all the people who were impacted, who understand how to prevent this in the future from happening,” Fontaine said.

More importantly, he says bridges are a concern, pointing to the situation we saw on crossings during a major storm over a year ago.

On Nov. 29, 2022, bridges were shut down and highways were blocked, leaving some people to endure commutes of more than 11 hours.

Surrey Coun. Linda Annis and Fontaine pushed for the snow summit after the ordeal, with Annis leaving Vancouver at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday and not getting home to South Surrey until 4:45 a.m. the next day.

“I’m not willing to keep rolling the dice every time we have a snowstorm and hope that nothing happens because a snowstorm is here — we need to do better than that,” Fontaine said Tuesday.

Meanwhile, the province’s electricity provider says it has been getting better at planning for snowstorms and freezing rain, where ice can topple trees over onto essential infrastructure.

“We have crews that go around year-round and identify vegetation that could be problematic in an ice storm or a wind storm,” BC Hydro spokesperson Susie Reider told CityNews. “The problem with ice, is that it can encase tree branches and obviously make them heavier and fall into electrical equipment and power lines.”

Reider explains that in terms of Tuesday night and Wednesday’s storm, the utility is as prepared as it can be.

“We do have in-house meteorologists and we are watching the system very closely, and we do have crews ready to respond should the lights go out,” she added.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/16/metro-vancouver-snow-prep-question/

Don't be silly, Councillor.  Of course we're not going to be ready.  :classic_rolleyes:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/01/16/metro-vancouver-snow-prep-question/

Don't be silly, Councillor.  Of course we're not going to be ready.  :classic_rolleyes:

Upvoted. 

So many drivers aren’t prepared even though they went through Snowmaggedon this past Thursday. 

:picard:

Some people are still driving with summer tires! 

Those Chargers and what not are moronic. Rear wheel drive vehicles as well are going to spin and lose traction easily. 

Stay home. Don’t be a hero. 

People don’t signal, shoulder check or do the responsible things they need and ought to do. 

There’s no common sense anymore for the most part, on the road. I wish I could perma-ban them all! 

Sorry, used your post to vent, because I know what’s coming tomorrow. 

Idiocy Is Coming. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The bright side is that there aren't many yahoos on the road that early in the morning.

The afternoon commute, though - good luck. 😉

In Metro Vancouver? 

You’d be surprised. 

They can barely operate their vehicles in a safe manner on bare roads. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

@Cerridwen, did you get caught up in that brutal Sh*tShow? Got off work at 5 and it took me 2 hours to drive 14km home lol 😂

Tell us more! 

If the Interior was messed up then I shudder to think what’s going to happen here. 

There were multiple crashes tonight, and it’s not even snowing yet here. 

11 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Tell us more! 

If the Interior was messed up then I shudder to think what’s going to happen here. 

There were multiple crashes tonight, and it’s not even snowing yet here. 

Well it started off with multiple crashes halfway in between Quesnel and PG, in the first one everyone is saying they had to amputate the guy’s leg to get him out of the car. Highway shut down. 2nd crash in the same area apparently the highway through hell crew was going through so the highway was shut down longer so that they could film. 

Then our small bridge happened to be shutdown for routine maintenance. I would guesstimate that 8-12”s of snow have come down so far. So at 4, somebody else crashed on the only bridge that goes through Quesnel on highway 97, completely gridlocking traffic in all directions for 2 hours. But by time they could get it going people were going only 5km/hr. 

As a result semis couldn’t get up the hill on the south end after the bridge so they were spun out and 3 wide in some parts of a 2-lane each way highway… while they chain up. But good ol Cariboo hospitality, people in the oncoming lanes, went to one lane to let southbound traffic get by the semis, backing up northbound traffic. By time I got up the hill vehicles were spun out in a few places and Semis that somehow made it up were lined up for about a km chaining up there. 

Just an overall logistics nightmare. Lol at the end of a 13 hour shift, it was a real treat. 😂😂.

Edited by Northern_Nuck
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

Well it started off with multiple crashes halfway in between Quesnel and PG, in the first one everyone is saying they had to amputate the guy’s leg to get him out of the car. Highway shut down. 2nd crash in the same area apparently the highway through hell crew was going through so the highway was shut down longer so that they could film. 

Then our small bridge happened to be shutdown for routine maintenance. I would guesstimate that 8-12”s of snow have come down so far. So at 4, somebody else crashed on the only bridge that goes through Quesnel on highway 97, completely gridlocking traffic in all directions for 2 hours. But by time they could get it going people were going only 5km/hr. 

As a result semis couldn’t get up the hill on the south end after the bridge so they were spun out and 3 wide in some parts of a 2-lane each way highway… while they chain up. But good ol Cariboo hospitality, people in the oncoming lanes, went to one lane to let southbound traffic get by the semis, backing up northbound traffic. By time I got up the hill vehicles were spun out in a few places and Semis that somehow made it up were lined up for about a km chaining up there. 

Just an overall logistics nightmare. Lol at the end of a 13 hour shift, it was a real treat. 😂😂.

Thanks. 

Heard there were 4 dead in a head on near Kamloops on Highway 97. 

Is that a route between PG and Quesnel?

Concerned that I'll trudge over to work only to find out no one else showed up tomorrow. Don't really have a way to know if the office is open or not. No winters on (since the snow will be mostly gone by Thursday), so for one day, driving will be a little perilous.

4 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Thanks. 

Heard there were 4 dead in a head on near Kamloops on Highway 97. 

Is that a route between PG and Quesnel?

I think they have different areas of highway 97. Like from cache creek to Dawson creek is highway 97. But I think there might be a stretch somewhere in the kootneys with the same numbering(could be wrong on that). 
 But the highway from Cache Creek east to Kamloops is considered highway 1. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I think they have different areas of highway 97. Like from cache creek to Dawson creek is highway 97. But I think there might be a stretch somewhere in the kootneys with the same numbering(could be wrong on that). 
 But the highway from Cache Creek east to Kamloops is considered highway 1. 

No 97 in the Kootenays that I know of Just 93 & 95

25 minutes ago, D.B Cooper said:

I’m on the road at the same time. 
Langley to Mission.  
Should be fun.  Hahahah

That will be a worse commute. Blowing snow/freezing rain. 

Projected for tomorrow and the next day. 

Be safe. Drive to the conditions, be smart, and have things like full tank, snacks, water, blanket, snow tires, Vis-Vest, gloves, shovel, etc. 

Hope for the best. Be prepared for the worst. Fraser Valley is going to get hit hard. 

All my best. 

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

@Cerridwen, did you get caught up in that brutal Sh*tShow? Got off work at 5 and it took me 2 hours to drive 14km home lol 😂

Ugh, and ugh again!! ❄️☃️❄️☃️❄️

The belt that raises/lowers the chute on the snowblower broke last snowfall so lovely repair dude came and picked it up for repair. Asked that he check whole snowblower over and the drive belt(?) was about to go as well, so said to go ahead and fix it all. Of course, being Q-Town, there ARE no parts in stock so am waiting on them to arrive. In the meantime, my best and lovely neighbours came out early this morning and snow-blowed the driveway and then at supper time, came back and shoveled the driveway and walkways.

If a person doesn't have to leave the house, I suggest that they don't! Every wish I had for snow the week of Christmas has decided to come true in 36 hours or so! I mean, we DO need the snow pack but....but.....but....

I have friends involved in putting together the X-country skiing events here for Winter Games so I'm sure they're quite pleased to see this white sh"t.... even if we'll have to trek 3 hours, uphill, in this blizzard, in our father's PJs just to get our Timmy's*!  😂 😂

*NOT an endorsement for Timmy's!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Concerned that I'll trudge over to work only to find out no one else showed up tomorrow. Don't really have a way to know if the office is open or not. No winters on (since the snow will be mostly gone by Thursday), so for one day, driving will be a little perilous.

I can't imagine not showing up to work cause it snowed I'd probably fire myself.

2 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

I can't imagine not showing up to work cause it snowed I'd probably fire myself.

Haha, well the our office was closed 45 minutes early at one point last week because the CEO thought it was gonna be a snowstorm, so there's a history of significant imposing weather resulting in closed doors.

33 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

The belt that raises/lowers the chute on the snowblower broke last snowfall so lovely repair dude came and picked it up for repair. Asked that he check whole snowblower over and the drive belt(?) was about to go as well, so said to go ahead and fix it all. Of course, being Q-Town, there ARE no parts in stock so am waiting on them to arrive. In the meantime, my best and lovely neighbours came out early this morning and snow-blowed the driveway and then at supper time, came back and shoveled the driveway and walkways.

If a person doesn't have to leave the house, I suggest that they don't! Every wish I had for snow the week of Christmas has decided to come true in 36 hours or so! I mean, we DO need the snow pack but....but.....but....

I have friends involved in putting together the X-country skiing events here for Winter Games so I'm sure they're quite pleased to see this white sh"t.... even if we'll have to trek 3 hours, uphill, in this blizzard, in our father's PJs just to get our Timmy's*!  😂 😂

Your tomes. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

I wish we here in the rat race had neighbours like yours. 

For my part, I shovel my driveway and then the whole street in front of my house. 

The neighbours come out and say, “wow, you’re doing too much”

And I say, if we all did this, our culdesac would be free and clear. 

No one does nothing. 

My anger grows. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Cerridwen said:

***removed for the sake of brevity heh***

🤣

Oh dear Jeebus, don't be like that other poster on the old board with another anti-Timmies thread (and this is coming from somebody who dislikes their coffee 🥸)

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Haha, well the our office was closed 45 minutes early at one point last week because the CEO thought it was gonna be a snowstorm, so there's a history of significant imposing weather resulting in closed doors.

A whole 45 minutes?

Lol.