[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning, Oct 15, 7PM EDT (4PM PST), The Let's Put a W in SPANK THE LIGHTNING Game ... M'Kay!

Rocket-68

4 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

I know he does, but we also need points and especially wins.

I kept thinking, if we started Lankinen on Wednesday against the Flames, we would've had atleast 1 win by now.

I know, some of the goals given up on the Flames game were bad defensive breakdowns or not able to get the puck out. But you also can't expect a full 60 min of 0 scoring chance/pressure from an opposing team, that's just not going to happen. Wins/losses are dictate pretty much base on how much one team can convert on their chances when they put on the pressure; and how much a goalie can stop those shots.

At the end of the day, the Flames scored 4 goals unanswered when the game was 4-1 for us. Goals 2-4 were all goals that shouldn't have gone in, they were all long range shots from the perimeters. What's worse was those 4 goals were scored on 5 shots in that span. He couldn't do anything on goal #5, that was on Soucy to tie up his man's stick. He ended the night with -3.9 GSAA. He is currently 59/60 goalie in GSAA when among goalies who have played a game. It's early in the season, sample size is small and he only played one game, but it's not a good number. It also appears other teams have figured out his weakness, sooner or later, they will all be throwing these perimeter shots on net if he doesn't improve. No, I don't think it's fair to expect any goalie to be Demko who is among league leaders in GSAA when he is healthy. However, an average GSAA of anywhere between 0-1.5 would've gotten us a win last Wednesday.

we basically are 1-1 in points tho. 

If we want to have a legit shot at replacing Demko in two years we need to give this guy a chance to f up on occasion. He'll get there. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

we basically are 1-1 in points tho. 

If we want to have a legit shot at replacing Demko in two years we need to give this guy a change to f up on occasion. He'll get there. 

I hope so too, I love how calm and cool he plays under pressure.

There is only 1 roadblock that prevents him from being a legitimate NHL calibre goalie, that's his puck tracking ability on long-range goals. If he can overcome this, he is already a borderline starter imo.

Just now, RJCF96 said:

I hope so too, I love how calm and cool he plays under pressure.

There is only 1 roadblock that prevents him from being a legitimate NHL calibre goalie, that's his puck tracking ability on long-range goals. If he can overcome this, he is already a borderline starter imo.

who's the goalie they were showing doing his eye tracking stuff pre-game a while back, maybe Hellebuyck? I'm sure there's something he can do to improve. 

Just now, Conscience said:

We need to win and he needs to learn to stop shots from the blueline, nhl aint the place for that.

people are putting too much pressure on this. Do you recall how much Luongo sucked in October? we'll be fine. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I feel a little more optimistic about this game, they always seem to take better teams more seriously and play them much harder. And since Tampa just had a win I don’t think they are going to be coming out super determined or hungry tonight. Not saying it will be an easy game by any means but I think there are reasons to feel optimistic. 

I don’t think the Canucks have been playing bad. They just haven’t been playing as well as we hoped. I don’t think they are as far away from that as some people make it out to be. The season is long. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

people are putting too much pressure on this. Do you recall how much Luongo sucked in October? we'll be fine. 

Luongo was also an established star goalie on path for the Hall of Fame. It's a a bit different than a young goalie who only have 20 games under his belt.

When Luongo sucked in October, I have full faith he will be within a few weeks.

10 minutes ago, Task said:

I don’t think the Canucks have been playing bad. They just haven’t been playing as well as we hoped. I don’t think they are as far away from that as some people make it out to be. The season is long. 

They haven't been playing 60 mins is all. The effort was there against Philly, but losing a Top 4 Dmen early against a tenacious team is tough when they are still trying to get into game shape and build chemistry.

On the flip side; how lucky do we appear to have gotten on Myers. Watching how he left the ice, I thought he was going to be dealing with a Major knee injury,a nd we wouldn't see him until next Sept. SUPER lucky!

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

They haven't been playing 60 mins is all. The effort was there against Philly, but losing a Top 4 Dmen early against a tenacious team is tough when they are still trying to get into game shape and build chemistry.

On the flip side; how lucky do we appear to have gotten on Myers. Watching how he left the ice, I thought he was going to be dealing with a Major knee injury,a nd we wouldn't see him until next Sept. SUPER lucky!

Yes, very lucky. 
It does show we are one injury on our top defensemen away from having a rough D core on the ice. 

25 minutes ago, CaribouCanuck said:

I feel a little more optimistic about this game, they always seem to take better teams more seriously and play them much harder. And since Tampa just had a win I don’t think they are going to be coming out super determined or hungry tonight. Not saying it will be an easy game by any means but I think there are reasons to feel optimistic. 

I was optimistic until I heard Silovs starts.. 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

Luongo was also an established star goalie on path for the Hall of Fame. It's a a bit different than a young goalie who only have 20 games under his belt.

When Luongo sucked in October, I have full faith he will be within a few weeks.

I don't think you can assume this though.

Once any player starts a slump  you never know if/when they'll regain their form and find their game again. Yes, Lu gave us confidence but a new, upcoming goaltender who is still learning and lacks experience can always improve. Sometimes the more established guys are harder to "fix" because they're not new to things and have a familiar way of doing them.

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I feel like Bains will have a good game. He has been 50/50 so far. With Heinen not immediately “clicking” with Miller & Boeser there is a possibility of others moving up (Debrusk is another possibility). One of Miller/Boeser or Petey/Debrusk lines need to wake up in this early part of the season.