[PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning Oct 15

Rocket-68

2 minutes ago, Breadnbutta said:

What would this team look like if we had kept Horvat and traded Petey. 

The return on Petey would have been much larger than Bo, we could still have traded for Hronek and had another premier RHD most likely.

Petey is just way too soft.

I hope I'm wrong. Eleven point six.

Fuck

With all due respect, I don't think BO was the answer.  He certainly had a lot more gusto in him than 11-6 and was only kept on board to fill the "C" role because there was no one else worthy enough to get it after Sedin retired as our team was in shambles.  But I do agree with you 100% on 11-6, that he is and always will be, a "regular season soft finesse" player.  So, we either hope he gets back on track and accept what he is - a guy only good enough to pave our way into the playoffs, or his slump continues and we unload him this season while we still can and move on.   In either case, he's never going to be worth $11.6 Million or a tough Playoff opponent IMO - unless something changes radically.

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

With all due respect, I don't think BO was the answer.  He certainly had a lot more gusto in him than 11-6 and was only kept on board to fill the "C" role because there was no one else worthy enough to get it after Sedin retired as our team was in shambles.  But I do agree with you 100% on 11-6, that he is and always will be, a "regular season soft finesse" player.  So, we either hope he gets back on track and accept what he is - a guy only good enough to pave our way into the playoffs, or his slump continues and we unload him this season while we still can and move on.   In either case, he's never going to be worth $11.6 Million or a tough Playoff opponent IMO - unless something changes radically.

Roids

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Then Tocchet needs to do more than talk, which is something we don't really get much of 

100 percent, and mark my words, he will. I don't want to pile on EP but one thing Coach T loathes is being unprepared and not in proper shape. I want nothing more than to see EP succeed but I have a real tough time with his conditioning and strength. He will never be a thick, strong skater, I get it. But how much improvement in the strength department have we seen the last three seasons? I'm disappointed in the young man and I feel soon enough Tocchet will bench him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think until the Petey deal, PA has been ok....... I'm not dhh about disagreeing about the path he went down with the Miller/Horvat situation, but he's made decent moves once he did.  Or he did until this off season, imo.

Starting with the Petey extension, I think he's taken the team back a few steps.......and that's not even inclusive of the horrible OEL move

...... and, don't forget the Lind-🏠 and Big "Z" Rental contracts that together cost us 4 draft picks, two prospects and a 40+ goal scorer (that actually helped 11-6 play better) and all for nothing - not to mention some of the other poor contracts he's signed so far.  BUT - in all fairness he's made a couple of O.K. acceptable moves too so I'd give him a .500 score at this time due to the overpriced contract he just gave 11-6 which so far is looking very concerning. Of course, we all hope 11-6 rises up and earns that money one day and proves us all wrong.   I'd love that!

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Heinen is a bottom 6 forward making $2.25M.  He’s a career 30-40pt guy.  It’s a mistake trying to force him into a top 6 role.    

Sprong is cheaper.  But also a bottom 6 forward.  The guy doesn’t have the defensive awareness.  It’s a reason why he was so cheap.

I hate to agree. Heinen is a vanilla player who is really just a body who can clog up some ice, and contribute every now and then. I’d almost rather see Suter in the top 6 than him.

I just looked at Heinen’s physical stats, and he’s tall but under 200 lbs. We’re still lacking the heaviness up front.

We need Dakota back badly, for a handful of reasons.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

...... and, don't forget the Lind-🏠 and Big "Z" Rental contracts that together cost us 4 draft picks, two prospects and a 40+ goal scorer (that actually helped 11-6 play better) and all for nothing - not to mention some of the other poor contracts he's signed so far.  BUT - in all fairness he's made a couple of O.K. acceptable moves too so I'd give him a .500 score at this time due to the overpriced contract he just gave 11-6 which so far is looking very concerning. Of course, we all hope 11-6 rises up and earns that money one day and proves us all wrong.   I'd love that!

I didn't mind the zadorov or Lindholm deals, in the context of having to make the playoffs and needing to inject some success.  Though I agree that losing Kuz had a much bigger effect than people thought, the fact is that RT was never going to let kuz be kuz

Imo, PA has made two moves that hurt the org deeply just to satisfy the coach's ego and that's not good

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I didn't mind the zadorov or Lindholm deals, in the context of having to make the playoffs and needing to inject some success.  Though I agree that losing Kuz had a much bigger effect than people thought, the fact is that RT was never going to let kuz be kuz

Imo, PA has made two moves that hurt the org deeply just to satisfy the coach's ego and that's not good

We should have kept Big "Z".  Letting him escape is unfortunate but I understand the $$$$ ask was a bit much for us to swallow but look at what we're left with now on D!

Very concerning and back to square 1 trying to fix the back end with a bunch of "B" and "C" players.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We should have kept Big "Z".  Letting him escape is unfortunate but I understand the $$$$ ask was a bit much for us to swallow but look at what we're left with now on D!

Very concerning and back to square 1 trying to fix the back end with a bunch of "B" and "C" players.

^ This

We should have kept big Z and Kuz may turn out to have been a better fit for Petey than DeBrusk.  They make the exact same money btw. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I get why they didn't sign Big Z for $$ reasons, but the fact that we didn't sign a true 2nd pair LD was disparaging. Instead, we spent 3.5m on a 6/7 LD in Forbort and a project RD in Des (he should of been <1m if he is a project). Both Juulsen and Friedman would have been fine at RD with Soucy on the 3rd pair.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 1

Last year the Canucks  had low shots with high shooting % while winning from what I remember and would be tough to repeat, and I expected a drop off and why I think RT said he wants to let more creativity from players this year ( We are still waiting on the players for that)

The trades were fine last year we were already winning games before they made them- They said they wanted to reward the players, 1 prospect wasn't going to resign and moved him before getting nothing, Kuz was never going to play in the playoffs, Lindholm was the reward and give us 3 top centres  for playoffs  (and also pressure to EP that we may already have your replacement)

Had our #1 goalie (and #1 goal scorer) been available last playoffs we could very well have all seen our 1st cup (just bad Canuck Luck)

Thankfully this Mgmt team  has a big chart with smart minds who project where a players value will be and what to expect and what/when prospects may join to compliment cap, They came into a hands tied cap situation and are planning what is best for this team to succeed and remembering that they signed Lindholm and Z and best figured with their new salary expectations and ages that don't fit into that equation

It is still on the player to reward the faith the management put into who plays

5 preseason games in 7 nights was a horrible schedule, expecting fresh players to come in playing hard and compete with timing and injuries that could put a player out for months or a season

Maybe we have 5 or so iffy games, but I expect this team to turn it around and contend again

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Petey has such a massive hill to climb.  When he inked that $11.6M deal, he put immense pressure on himself.  Look at it this way...  

Top cap hits in NHL:

1. 13.25M Matthews 

2. 12.6M Mackinnon

3. $12.5M McDavid 

4. $11.643M Panarin

5. $11.6M Pettersson

Scary how high his production and consistency needs to climb to be earning this kinda money.

He struggled for most of 2021 and then got 100 points the next year. These Huberdeau predictions are really cringe. 

34 minutes ago, nergish said:

I hate to agree. Heinen is a vanilla player who is really just a body who can clog up some ice, and contribute every now and then. I’d almost rather see Suter in the top 6 than him.

I just looked at Heinen’s physical stats, and he’s tall but under 200 lbs. We’re still lacking the heaviness up front.

We need Dakota back badly, for a handful of reasons.

We also need Blais once he's up to speed again!! no joke....

and last night I called for Brannstrom... and now he's gonna get the call to join the team in Florida!! maybe Bains is getting sent down.... 

No Zadorov means the D is worse this year than last.

DeBrusk may be less effective then Kuzmenko. Heinen and Sherwood have not made the team any better so far.

No Demko is a massive hole.

I'm not sure about the absolute confidence that the team will turn it around in the short run and be a contender again.

For that to happen we need Demko, we need to add a good D man and we need Joshua back and playing well and the new forwards need to produce better than they have so far.

Let's see...

Not saying all of that can't happen, but let's see.

16 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Sloppy and ugly first period, much better 2nd and 3rd period.

There's always an element of weathering the storm against a good team on the road.

We pushed the shots and the win-o-meter into our favour after the 1st. 

Blowouts is when it's acceptable to doom. None of these 3 games came close 

37 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree, though if rather have spent cap retaining the strength at d, rather than following TO and Edm by loading up at fwd at the expense of the d corp 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Problem I have with Pettersson is how he left last season. I just thought he would be hungrier and would come in flying. He still looks scared. I just don’t see superstar because of that lack of confidence. Most players can break through and a lot earlier than how long it’s taken Petey.

Maybe we should send him down and let him find his game in Abby. That way we'll be able to keep someone that's "hungry" up with the big team?

11 minutes ago, Blue said:

There's always an element of weathering the storm against a good team on the road.

We pushed the shots and the win-o-meter into our favour after the 1st. 

Blowouts is when it's acceptable to doom. None of these 3 games came close 

We gave up a 3 goal lead against Cgy bc we decided to not skate for the remaining 40 min. That is not a staple of a RT team. The last 40 min were a blow out minus a lucky Hughes save and nice JT goal.

Against Philly, the team played well, but you could see the rust and ineffectiveness of the Top 6. The "effort" was there though. 

Last night, the team got dominated in the 1st...then tried to climb out, but you could see the rust and ineffectiveness of the Top 6 and a total lack of a of PP. That game was never close in my opinion.

In all 3 loses I have not seen the Canucks impose their system and structure on the otehr team...minus the 1st Period against Cgy. In the rest, the play is reactionary and garbled. The only players showing up shift after shift are Hughes and Garland.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1