[PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning Oct 15

Rocket-68

45 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Disappointing to get another loss, but it is not as bad as a lot of the comments indicate.

1. Tampa was the better team, but not by a big margin. Shots were 28 to 27 for Tampa (almost even) and the Canucks were ahead in all-strength Corsi and in scoring chances. Vasilevsky was great and Silovs was so-so. I am not saying Silovs was bad, but Vasilevsky was excellent and the team with the better goalie won, as often happens.

2. The first goal was created by a dreadful sequence from Juulsen. First, he fell, giving up possession of the puck, then he lost a puck battle to Kucherov, then he abandoned Kucherov in a prime shooting position cross-check a guy in front of the net already being checked by Suter. The left Kucherov open for a the dreaded cross-seam pass and it seemed like he had half the net the puck the puck in as Silovs was slow getting over.  I like Juulsen and am happy with him as 7th man. But if he is playing every night, your D is not very good.  The second goal was a shot from a bad angle that seemed to catch Silovs leaning too hard to the short side.

3. Silovs made some good saves, but I would definitely go with Lankinen. Tocc seems to like Silovs a lot even though his overall save percentage with Vancouver is below .900.

4. Pettersson had a better game and was close on several occasions. He should still shoot more, though. Sooner or later the puck has to start going in for him again.

5. Hughes and Hronek were excellent again (especially Hughes). Miller and Boeser also continue to look good and had good underlying numbers. And Garland continues to be excellent. In addition to getting the only goal, he led the team in Corsi and scoring chance percentage. Scoring chances were 11 to 4 with him on the ice.

6. Last year the team started the season with a red-hot PDO. It was unsustainable but it remained good all season. This year, after 3 games, the Canucks are among the worst in the league. To the extent that PDO measures luck, the Canucks should be able to turn things around.

Best post so far!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This team earned the benefit of the doubt in the first two games, but the way they started so flat was so unacceptable on all fronts.

Seems like the players have resorted back to Bruce Boudreau hockey where the team started half way through the game, poor defensive details, and very little cohesion. Its very disheartening to see how much ground this group made last season, only to sort of forget their identity as a team.

Onto the next one, but they need to wake up.

• ThereItIs 2

8 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

This team earned the benefit of the doubt in the first two games, but the way they started so flat was so unacceptable on all fronts.

Seems like the players have resorted back to Bruce Boudreau hockey where the team started half way through the game, poor defensive details, and very little cohesion. Its very disheartening to see how much ground this group made last season, only to sort of forget their identity as a team.

Onto the next one, but they need to wake up.

Again, this isn't new.  This is how they played from January on, last season.  Probably best to accept that this is likely who they are

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Problem I have with Pettersson is how he left last season. I just thought he would be hungrier and would come in flying. He still looks scared. I just don’t see superstar because of that lack of confidence. Most players can break through and a lot earlier than how long it’s taken Petey.

I agree.   He looks super timid and petrified to be withing a foot of anyone.  If his slump - that started last January - keeps up, you can  bet JR will overrule PA and consider dumping our #1 swede because this year is the last year we can unload him before we're stuck for him into the next decade with his NTC that kicks-in next year.  Hopefully we don't get stuck with another long term salary retention/cap hit like the Luongo and O.E.L. deals when he's finally unloaded.

5 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree.   He looks super timid and petrified to be withing a foot of anyone.  If his slump - that started last January - keeps up, you can  bet JR will overrule PA and consider dumping our #1 swede because this year is the last year we can unload him before we're stuck for him into the next decade with his NTC that kicks-in next year.  Hopefully we don't get stuck with another long term salary retention/cap hit like the Luongo and O.E.L. deals when he's finally unloaded.

That's a good point about us still being able to unload Petey this year. If he stays cold and we're locked into his NTC, it will be the 3rd worst deal we've made. I did like Hoglander playing on Petey's line. I hope they continue with that option.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

We drove down his value first. I got Shit on all over this board for saying  that he’s gonna be an annual 40g 90pt guy, but Tocchet doesn’t know how to coach those guys. 

I agree 100%.  Throwing a 40g scorer away (that also complimented and helped 11-6 play much better) along with two draft Picks (one of them a badly needed very high 1st rounder + a 4th rounder) plus two defensive prospects (one of them very promising) all for an over the hill greedy - beat-up, old disinterested Rental Swede - who we lost for nothing in the end - is a crime in itself. That trade always seems to reminded me of when we lost Toffolli and went "all-in" on Jake "The Ripper". and Toffolli got 11x the points next season as Jake did.  

Don't feel bad because I heard all the same BS last year from swede-centric's trying to defend that dumb-ass trade and was right (like you and many others) all along!     I also agree that Tock-it needs to allow (or tolerate) some of those "Free-wheels" like Kuz who may not be the defensive back-checkers he likes, but makes up for it much more in their offensive abilities, character and ability to lift other players.   One size does NOT always fit All!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Cheers 2