[PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning Oct 15

Rocket-68

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

GWG was a soft slapper with no screen from 30 feet out that he was out of position for. He was alright overall but he’s also part of the problem. That goal was a back breaker after we had dominated the prior 5-7 minutes and started gaining momentum. 

The point one timer you mean?

The game had it's moments where the team played well but we're missing our star center. It looks to me like Petey has lost his passion for hockey. Maybe during contract negotiations he became disillusioned with the business, lost respect for the management and kinda gave up. Just a thought. 

• Tank 1

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, I missed all but about 10 min of the first due to flight to Vegas. How were they tonight, really?

They were definitely better. 

Had more jump for sure. 

Vasilevsky made some very nice saves at key moments to keep the Canucks from clawing back into it.

To me the issue was a lackluster powerplay (again), and very little from the top 6. 

Petey played his best game of the season so far.

Miller looks slow for some reason. 

Seeing nothing from Debrusk and Heinen unfortunately.

Garland was an absolute beast out there.

Canucks played well but in all reality TB is a better team, and their top 6 shows up consistently. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Ducklover said:

The game had it's moments where the team played well but we're missing our star center. It looks to me like Petey has lost his passion for hockey. Maybe during contract negotiations he became disillusioned with the business, lost respect for the management and kinda gave up. Just a thought. 

Nah.... he's an athlete at 25years.. no matter, what they are paid or how they feel about management, they want to win...

Petey doesn't sign an 8 year contract, only to sit back for 8 years and enjoy the sunsets... if he was unhappy here, he wouldn't have signed the contract. Despite what parts of our fanbase thinks there would have been lots of suitors for his signature. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

9 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

That's a good point about us still being able to unload Petey this year. If he stays cold and we're locked into his NTC, it will be the 3rd worst deal we've made. I did like Hoglander playing on Petey's line. I hope they continue with that option.

But think back a while. This is by far the longest slump we've seen from petey, but not the first, or even second slump.

Not to be negative Nancy, but even if Petey turns it on and has a good 3 months, he is still inconsistent and will likely find his next slump at some point.

Looking at his catalog as a whole, not judging just 3 games, we will be complaining about this contract for years.  

4 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Why? Did you not watch preseason/ young stars/ Abby last year? 

He's got some cooking to do before he's going to be of any help in the NHL. 

I know... But at least the kid isn't shy to shoot!! Eventually we will be desperate..

Unless playoff hope is gone...then he can keep cooking in Abby 

• Cheers 1

Heinen is a bottom 6 forward making $2.25M.  He’s a career 30-40pt guy.  It’s a mistake trying to force him into a top 6 role.    

Sprong is cheaper.  But also a bottom 6 forward.  The guy doesn’t have the defensive awareness.  It’s a reason why he was so cheap.

Edited by BPA

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Soooooo....

When do the blow it up real good threads start? 

Or are we not panicking yet? 

Slow start, then we got goalie'd. Vasilevskiy was outstanding. In a month, we'll have our Vezina-calibre goalie too.

Miller is still finding his game, bobbled the puck a lot tonight. That will improve.

The powerplay is not working. It's not too noticeable in the stats because the 2nd unit has got a couple. First unit looks lost though, and consistently resorts to low percentage passes just to maintain the zone. Not sure what the answer is though...maybe more rush attempts to back up the defense?

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Petey has such a massive hill to climb.  When he inked that $11.6M deal, he put immense pressure on himself.  Look at it this way...  

Top cap hits in NHL:

1. 13.25M Matthews 

2. 12.6M Mackinnon

3. $12.5M McDavid 

4. $11.643M Panarin

5. $11.6M Pettersson

Scary how high his production and consistency needs to climb to be earning this kinda money.

For $11.6, 11-6 is gonna have to produce IKEA Volumes of points to be anywhere close to break-even for the Canucks.  Hopefully he snaps out of his slump that's being running since last January of last season but things are still looking grim for him now as appears as timid, meek and scared as ever and still has trouble standing up on almost every play like he has vertigo or some imbalance issue.    

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Slow start, then we got goalie'd. Vasilevskiy was outstanding. In a month, we'll have our Vezina-calibre goalie too.

Miller is still finding his game, bobbled the puck a lot tonight. That will improve.

The powerplay is not working. It's not too noticeable in the stats because the 2nd unit has got a couple. First unit looks lost though, and consistently resorts to low percentage passes just to maintain the zone. Not sure what the answer is though...maybe more rush attempts to back up the defense?

I agree with your assessment, but the disappointing thing is watching the team get out worked in the last 3 games; that is the disappointing part. In addition, they don't appear to be committed to the system; a lot of the play looks ad hoc or reactionary. Hopefully they can round into form soon...against an injured Panthers team would be nice.

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

For $11.6, 11-6 is gonna have to produce IKEA Volumes of points to be anywhere close to break-even for the Canucks.  Hopefully he snaps out of his slump that's being running since last January of last season but things are still looking grim for him now as appears as timid, meek and scared as ever and still has trouble standing up on almost every play like he has vertigo or some imbalance issue.    

This, and almost disinterested at times. Petey was always so fiery, confident, and competitive before; he doesn't look like that same player.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

Miller in particular looks really slow. Im sure there are others, but he was standing out to me.

Yes, he looks like an out of shape old man out there, as very many have noted.  When I see him show up out of shape like this now, it sure makes we worry what kind of shape he'll show up in - in the later stages of his contract when it ends in the early 2030's of the next decade - when he's pushing 40!

I've predicted since day one of his new contract, that his contract will NOT age well and still stand behind that, despite him still having some "gas in the tank" in the early part of it.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
typo
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Nah.... he's an athlete at 25years.. no matter, what they are paid or how they feel about management, they want to win...

Petey doesn't sign an 8 year contract, only to sit back for 8 years and enjoy the sunsets... if he was unhappy here, he wouldn't have signed the contract. Despite what parts of our fanbase thinks there would have been lots of suitors for his signature. 

It's reassuring to hear there would have been lots of suitors because the way he's going, I will NOT be at all surprised to see him unloaded before the end of the season if he doesn't "snap-out" of his coma and we'll need some interested parties to take him off our hands - albeit with some salary retention required on our end.   Better to " bite the bullet" and do that this year before his NTC kicks in and get stuck with another long term Swedish Cap retention/buyback penalty for the next decade than be stuck with an $11.6 million dollar "Boat Anchor" until next decade.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It's reassuring to hear there would have been lots of suitors because the way he's going, I will NOT be at all surprised to see him unloaded before the end of the season if he doesn't "snap-out" of his coma and we'll need some interested parties to take him off our hands - albeit with some salary retention required on our end.   Better to " bite the bullet" and do that this year before his NTC kicks in and get stuck with another long term Swedish Cap retention/buyback penalty for the next decade than be stuck with an $11.6 million dollar "Boat Anchor" until next decade.  

Canucks fans are hilarious. 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

How could it be a a makeup non call if it was the right call?

It’s a 50/50 call in a review.

In real time when the stick comes up to the hands and a player falls down it’s a call 10/10.

It was a makeup call. If you don’t think that they would have called a penalty if that was McDavid you must not watch the Oilers much.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Confused 1