[PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning Oct 15

Rocket-68

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

It's reassuring to hear there would have been lots of suitors because the way he's going, I will NOT be at all surprised to see him unloaded before the end of the season if he doesn't "snap-out" of his coma and we'll need some interested parties to take him off our hands - albeit with some salary retention required on our end.   Better to " bite the bullet" and do that this year before his NTC kicks in and get stuck with another long term Swedish Cap retention/buyback penalty for the next decade than be stuck with an $11.6 million dollar "Boat Anchor" until next decade.  

I liked the majority of moves this summer and do understand we operate under a salary cap, but Pettersson's play is the elephant in the room. I like DeBrusk, but he was not the top end player we needed to get Pettersson going again. We needed to get a top flight guy to restore his confidence, even if that was just a rental type player.

This team will go nowhere if our franchise player continues on his current path. We look at games like last night as "he played better/good"; he should be playing very well consistentantly for 11.6m.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I don’t like the excuses people come up with. These are athletes, they are paid to play hockey. That is their one and only job. For millions of dollars a year they better fuc**** come ready to play every damn game. Every year the coaching staff waste 2-3 games playing AHL guys that aren’t going to make the team regardless. There was only 2-3 damn places in the line up available why the hell were we playing 15+ AHL guys a game. 
Hopefully this slow start doesn’t come to bite us in the @ss down the road. Every game and every point matters.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

I liked the majority of moves this summer and do understand we operate under a salary cap, but Pettersson's play is the elephant in the room. I like DeBrusk, but he was not the top end player we needed to get Pettersson going again. We needed to get a top flight guy to restore his confidence, even if that was just a rental type player.

This team will go nowhere if our franchise player continues on his current path. We look at games like last night as "he played better/good"; he should be playing very well consistentantly for 11.6m.

What's the point in tying play to his csp hit now?  The deal is done.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It’s a 50/50 call in a review.

In real time when the stick comes up to the hands and a player falls down it’s a call 10/10.

It was a makeup call. If you don’t think that they would have called a penalty if that was McDavid you must not watch the Oilers much.

I don't understand what you meant by a makeup call there. Was there any reason to doubt whether it was a penalty or not?

The refs seem to be getting it better this season, though it is early. The Silovs push/goaltender interference call took a long time, but they did get it right at the end, even if it's an obvious one.

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

I don’t like the excuses people come up with. These are athletes, they are paid to play hockey. That is their one and only job. For millions of dollars a year they better fuc**** come ready to play every damn game. Every year the coaching staff waste 2-3 games playing AHL guys that aren’t going to make the team regardless. There was only 2-3 damn places in the line up available why the hell were we playing 15+ AHL guys a game. 
Hopefully this slow start doesn’t come to bite us in the @ss down the road. Every game and every point matters.

You wanna relax a little? Edmonton did worse at the beginning of the season lol. No one ices their full lineup for the bulk of the preseason. It's ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Thanks! i thought you would appreciate that honest assessment of 11-6 😜 .  

It was good for a laugh I’ll give you that.

Thinking that the Canucks would retain on an 8 year deal is funny. Also that a team would be willing to take on a player that has fallen off so much in your mind.

Keep the horrible hot takes coming though. We should quote them for an after season chuckle.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

They were definitely better. 

Had more jump for sure. 

Vasilevsky made some very nice saves at key moments to keep the Canucks from clawing back into it.

To me the issue was a lackluster powerplay (again), and very little from the top 6. 

Petey played his best game of the season so far.

Miller looks slow for some reason. 

Seeing nothing from Debrusk and Heinen unfortunately.

Garland was an absolute beast out there.

Canucks played well but in all reality TB is a better team, and their top 6 shows up consistently. 

Garland has been the best Canuck so far, and its not even close. Though it would hurt the third line, I'd actually bump him up to play with Petterson and Debrusk to see if he could get Petey going. Whomever they seem to stick Garland with game and confidence improves.

Edited by BC_Hawk
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's the point in tying play to his csp hit now?  The deal is done.  

True, but how does a player fall off a cliff like Pettersson has done since last January. I get the injury reasoning last year, but his play and body language is same. The team needs to find a way to get a person that occupies 13% of the cap going.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

I don't understand what you meant by a makeup call there. Was there any reason to doubt whether it was a penalty or not?

The refs seem to be getting it better this season, though it is early. The Silovs push/goaltender interference call took a long time, but they did get it right at the end, even if it's an obvious one.

The Oilers got two bad call earlier in the game. The refs probably saw the tape and realized they messed up.

I don’t think there was any reason to doubt it was a call. Both teams were stunned. Even the homer play by play was surprised it wasn’t called. 

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It was good for a laugh I’ll give you that.

Thinking that the Canucks would retain on an 8 year deal is funny. Also that a team would be willing to take on a player that has fallen off so much in your mind.

Keep the horrible hot takes coming though. We should quote them for an after season chuckle.

You mean like some dumb-ass team taking on a MEGA Swedish Boat-Anchor contract like O.E.L.'s or L.E.'s that someone's trying to unload?  You're probably right - that there's probably no way in hell that a properly owned and professionally managed franchise would possibly ever be dumb-enough to do such a thing like that ! 😉  What was I thinking!!!!

Edited by RU SERIOUS

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

You mean like some dumb-ass team taking on a boat-anchor Swedish contract like O.E.L.'s or L.E.'s that someone's trying to unload?  You're probably right - that there's no franchise possibly dumb-enough to do a thing like that !

Benning doesn’t have a job last time I checked. 😉

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Good for him.

At this point it’s worth experimenting.

Forbort and Juulsen are going to continue to get targeted by other teams. There’s just not enough ability to move the puck.

Yup.  I think that bottom pair is ok  for puck battles on the boards and clearing out the front of the net, but they need someone that can skate the puck out and make some accurate break out passes.    Im assuming Juulsen sits?

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Blue said:

They were shut out and got stomped more than once. 

In our only regulation loss , we were 63.5 on the win o meter. Against a team with the best top line , in their home opener. But hey , keep throwing those toys out of the pram Canucks fans 

1729042388731-png.917141

Vasi won the game for the Bolts imo

It was an even match for the most part

Silovs started slow on the farm last year too. Topilov was the better choice for the first half of the season. Then Silovs rebounded and got the net back.

Lanky definitely is the 1A choice right now. Gotta play the better goalie going forward 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benning doesn’t have a job last time I checked. 😉

..........and we're still paying for his Swedish "Albatross" contract mistakes for several more years!  Whether it's Luongo, L.E., O.E.L. or many of the others, it seems every regime that runs this franchise leaves at least one "Boat-Anchor" legacy contract on the books for the next regime to be burdened with.  The latest of course if the O.E.L. contract that we'll be wasting $5M a year on next year and the year after that. (I believe this latest buyout wa$te runs until the end of the '28 year)