Canucks call up Brannstrom for Florida game

Googlie

Hopefully our current coaching staff treats him better than Green et al  treated Brogan Rafferty.  Sitting him as a Black Ace during the Covid season really stunted his growth.

I saw a few of his games 2 seasons ago for the Firebirds (9 + 42 in 72 games and a +28) with several great rushes and a few defensive gems too.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Hopefully our current coaching staff treats him better than Green et al  treated Brogan Rafferty.  Sitting him as a Black Ace during the Covid season really stunted his growth.

I saw a few of his games 2 seasons ago for the Firebirds (9 + 42 in 72 games and a +28) with several great rushes and a few defensive gems too.

Green is a horrific coach when it comes to developing young talent. He's just as bad as Desjardins when it comes to playing favourites, i.e. players that he trusted from the beginning. He benches young players for mistakes that he lets veteran players make. That's not accountability.

Tocc is definitely being challenged now as a coach, but he's doing the right things so far.

• Cheers 1

Could Brannstrom be a Gustav-Forsling-type acquisition? Forsling didn't earn a regular spot until he was 25 and had kicked around for a few years before catching on with Florida. Forsling is bigger than Brannstrom and better defensively, but both can move the puck. I can see him not making Colorado because they have Makar and Girard as primary puck movers and Toews isn't too bad either. I really have no idea why they signed Brannstrom in the first place. I believe this may prove to be a good move as it will take some of the pressure off Quinn and would provide another offensive threat from the back end. If he gets to play.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, BTueyCanucksFan said:

Can't say I am surprised. He has played well in Abbotsford and has heaps of NHL experience albeit with a lesser team. If he can continue to play as he has lately, at the NHL level, you have to think he stays and someone else will get sent down. Desharnais and Juulsen are likeliest of targets at this point but both would require waivers. 

Edit: Not a fan of Raty being sent down would have preferred a dman unless Myers is out again

Raty's line has been the best in the first three games and it's a shame to send him down, but I'm not really surprised as theres really not much room for him.  He'll be back soon

Raty got sent down? Why though? Dude looked good so far and that line has been one of the more consistent. Excited to see Brannstrom, but I think that's one step forward two steps back. Oh well, hopefully we see Raty back soon, or maybe not in some sort of weird way. I think in healthy circumstances it's hard to squeeze Raty into the bottom 6 center spots with Suter and Blueger there. I think we are pretty overloaded down the middle and on the LW, in terms of guys in that Raty skill range.

21 hours ago, Integra250 said:

We need a puck-mover on the backend and he'll provide that bit. Perhaps we'll see:

Hughes-Myers

Brannstrom-Hronek

Forbort-Soucy

Should be 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Brannstrom

Deharnais-Myers

Forbort is not playing