[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Florida Cats, Oct 17, 7PM EDT (4PM PST), The SKY IS FALLING, RUN FOR THE HILLS Game ... Chill Y'all M'Kay

Rocket-68

First Poll of the Season  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What will be the most unlikely outcome / surprise from our beloved Canucks (Multiple Choice Allowed)

• Petey has 5 Hat Trick Games including 2 of the Gordie Howe variety this season!
    • JT Miller finishes the season with 50+ goals and 50+ assists for at least 110 points
    • Nikita Zadarov is traded back to the Canucks with Boston retaining in January *snicker*
    • Demko and Slivers win the Jennings Trophy
    • Huggy Bear scores 40+ goals with 80+ assists and DOES NOT win the Norris - because, well Bettman!
    • Brännström wins the Norris
    • Garland picks up 30 goals plus 200 PIM including 5 fighting majors (2 against Marchand)
    • ... dear author, whatever you are smoking, package it up ... none of the above, see my comment below.

Just now, Defcon1 said:

They had chemistry last year and Garland was very productive last year, same as Joshua. Why fix something when it aint broken. We have had problems this year to produce offense because all the lines are a jumbled mess and lack chemistry because of new guys playing on every line. Like why is suter playing on 4th line when he produced last year and Heinen is playing on the 1st line?? No wonder we cant score and Pettersson playing lackdaisial doesnt help either.

RT not taking pre season seriously with the vet and we are now just in preseason testing out different line combo. Should have played the set lines he wanted 3+ times in the preseason so they are not trying to figure stuff out now. Every preseason we played our vet very little in their regular season line? They came out flat and out of the playoff by November. Last year when they played the vet more in preseason we came out flying. We better win tonight’s game against a team without barkov and maybe mt.. next game won’t be easy against the flyers home opener.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Love the GDT....so good. The effort does not go unnoticed.

Time for a damn all out win. Tired of this coasting along nonsense. Pedal to the metal, go for the throat.

I do have confidence in this team....they've been at the losing end and also have had a taste of success. They know what it takes and will get back to that level. Ironing out some kinks and allowing new players to adjust. I do feel that other teams used some preseason to get up to running speed and we are jumping in a little cold. But...who knows? Some injuries were incurred in preseason so losing players is also a risk.

I really want Petey to score a goal (or two) in pure Petey fashion to quiet the noise.

And JT to hit beast mode (wonder what his injury was?)

I am so in love with this silly puck chasing game of hockey. Winter would be completely depressing if we didn't have our team to cheer on. Let's gooooo!

Noticed last game he has PT tape up the back of his neck. Perhaps a pinched nerve in the upper back or a strained neck/shoulder muscle?

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

RT not taking pre season seriously with the vet and we are now just in preseason testing out different line combo. Should have played the set lines he wanted 3+ times in the preseason so they are not trying to figure stuff out now. Every preseason we played our vet very little in their regular season line? They came out flat and out of the playoff by November. Last year when they played the vet more in preseason we came out flying. We better win tonight’s game against a team without barkov and maybe mt.. next game won’t be easy against the flyers home opener.

Sure and then we lose a vet or two to a dumb injury and then you are complaining about why did we play vets too much in the preseason 😆

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

I remember last year when Joshua was out, it seemed to have a very negative impact on the whole team and the line combos.  We were bad and losing lots of games during his absence.  Hopefully he returns soon and the lines get settled and we start to win some games and play better.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Sure and then we lose a vet or two to a dumb injury and then you are complaining about why did we play vets too much in the preseason 😆

Yep, it's a double edged sword for sure. Damned if he does/doesn't.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Ok so why play vet at all in the preseason? 1 game 2 game 3 game is there a difference? They can get hurt less than a min into any game? 

Am I superstitious? Every time I choose a winner in the predictions thread... the opposite occurs. 

I have predicted the Canucks to win 5-1 against Calgary. 5-2 against Philadelphia. 6-5 in OT against Tampa.

So for today, my prediction is Florida will win 4-2. I hope my streak (of wrong predictions) continue. Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Ok so why play vet at all in the preseason? 1 game 2 game 3 game is there a difference? They can get hurt less than a min into any game? 

The difference is quality of competition. What good would it do to play our vets against AHL plugs?

Want to see a team that looks like playing together and is organized.
Has been improving at times but needs to become habit.  
Win or otherwise want to see better effort overall.

Look forward to seeing how the D sorts out with Forbort gone, bad team to be introducing new guys against. 
Let’s see the guys raise their effort to the level needed to beat the champs. 

9 minutes ago, PeteyBOI said:

Didn’t seem to inviting to me. No offense

"Too"

(try harder)

To each his/her own but I just don't get all the negativity some bring. Why?

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The difference is quality of competition. What good would it do to play our vets against AHL plugs?

It's not specifically about the competition. It's more about using that time for your core and new guys to get going, start building identity, and finding chemistry as early as possible.

That priority needs to be weighed against risk of injury. There's also the need to make room for internal competition, auditions, and development.

It's a tough call.

After getting off to a hot early start only to fade last year before pushing hard into the playoffs, do you sacrifice early success to give guys more time heading into a new season to find that chemistry or less time and get them dialed in early again knowing you might fade again in the second half?

No easy answer. Interesting though. I think there's middle ground. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

I mean, what more motivation can a player ask for!

Back in the NHL on a new team. Likely his last opportunity to showcase he belongs in the NHL full time.

Really rooting for him tonight!

• Like 1