The Steady Decline of EP-11.6

LaBamba

As a curiousity, wonder if the Sedins ever went through a similar funk while in their prime.    Don't think so.   My re-collection is they weren't players that would go on massive heaters and then lull's, just consistent.    Did Naslund during his five year peak?  Don't think so either. 

We've had other core players in the past do that for sure, Courtnall was a streaky scorer.    Bure was on close to a goal per game course one half, then scored "only" 20 the second half.   So for him at least, a funk of sorts.  

EP didn't have to sign a deal that big, i'm sure it wasn't the first offer (if it was shame on Allvin).    He'd earned himself a deal in the 10.5-11.5 territory after 1.5 years of scoring at a 95-100 point pace ... and seemed to have arrived.   His "funk" last year after the all-star break, was dialogued as the burden and distraction of not having a deal done.   This team was damned if we did and damned if we didn't, and the deal always needed to happen.   

Get it's concerning.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It could be the pressure of living in a hockey crazed market. I was a huge fan of him in the beginning and I looked forward to when he hit his prime, which should be now, but something is not right with this player. Either he is hurt, or it is a mental thing. He went through this after he signed his bridge deal, and I attribute that to missing training camp, but then he caught fire again. Will he do the same thing, or is the pressure too much, and maybe he needs to be in a market where nobody recognizes him off the ice?

Edited by Ohthehumanity
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As a curiousity, wonder if the Sedins ever went through a similar funk while in their prime.    Don't think so.   My re-collection is they weren't players that would go on massive heaters and then lull's, just consistent.    Did Naslund during his five year peak?  Don't think so either. 

We've had other core players in the past do that for sure, Courtnall was a streaky scorer.    Bure was on close to a goal per game course one half, then scored "only" 20 the second half.   So for him at least, a funk of sorts.  

EP didn't have to sign a deal that big, i'm sure it wasn't the first offer (if it was shame on Allvin).    He'd earned himself a deal in the 10.5-11.5 territory after 1.5 years of scoring at a 95-100 point pace ... and seemed to have arrived.   His "funk" last year after the all-star break, was dialogued as the burden and distraction of not having a deal done.   This team was damned if we did and damned if we didn't, and the deal always needed to happen.   

Get it's concerning.   

I think it comes down to how much he hates the media and the constant attention he gets.

He doesn’t look happy anymore. And I honestly think he doesn’t enjoy playing in Van anymore. 

At some point he needs to get comfortable with it like JT and Brock have or he’s gonna keep going this way. 

I feel like he’s put himself on an island and isolated himself a little bit…lonely enigmatic star island…

If he enjoyed playing here his energy would be way different in my opinion. He has barely played any games and his energy and confidence look sapped.

Mentally it’s a grind to play in Van with media and fan pressure. And I think he’s had enough of it.

He loves our team and I think he still loves our town. But everything else is just too much for him.

You can’t be a franchise center in a market like Van and not expect the attention.

I sure hope he gets his head out of the water and starts to be more positive. He looks miserable…

I love Petey but what made him special was his smile and his energy…it’s all gone now. He needs to get that back

• Like 1

For 11.6million less about points and more about leading the team to victory. When you have Kucherov, Marchand, Bergeron, Pastrnak, M Tkachuk, Barkov on your team, you can count on them to lead you into the playoffs and go far. These guys don't necessarily net 100 points. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

32 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

True. We have to give it more than 3 games. That being said, he had that opportunity last year and didn't perform. In the playoffs last year the apologists were saying "guys he isn't making 11.6 this year, it's ok". Hopefully this year he performs up to the standard of a 11+M player. For a team to be successful you absolutely can not have an under performing 10+M player.

And most guys making 10+ are 1.1ppg+ … not .333ppg. 

EP40 is making the kind of money that most 100pt+/year guys make, hopefully he can live up to that. 

I think the word 'decline' is a little misleading here. While it's correct in the current context I think the bigger issue is season to season consistency.  

We have seen this with EP-40 since we drafted him, the long down spells either for entire seasons or for large parts of a season. 

It is frustrating for us fans, especially after the whole 'I want to Win' comments and then the 11.6M contract. I guess at this point you have to look at the contract AAV as a long-term thing. Comparing him to other players currently earning that much is just not a parallel at this point sadly. At the midpoint of that contract, the 11.6M is likely equivalent to around 8M today in % of cap terms. Which based on the current body of work is where his value actually lies unless he makes continued improvements, which we really haven't seen from him as a player yet since his first year in the NHL. 

Further to EP-40's continued poor personal form, I think there are 2 other major factors that are amplifying this : 

1. I think at this point the entire core is underperforming. Last year they came in early and ready. This year they look a step behind especially when playing other teams which all had a point to prove after last season. 

2. Having completely new linemates, none of who are a perfect fit for his line (arguably Debrusk who's form has also been questionable ). Due to the OEL buyout pain we are lacking a true quality player on this line as a winger. 

I think these are important factors as EP-40 isn't really the kind of player that can drive offense on his own, like Mcdavid, Drai, Mackinnon, and other players around his AAV. This is a pretty big reason that points to how his contract really looks overinflated from the get-go for me.   He also doesn't really seem to be able to lift average players on his line up either. He needs a very specific chemistry to perform. 

At this point, its early - we hope he can improve along with the rest of the core over the next 10 games and get back to 90+ point form, which I certainly think is possible as there is a great player in there. I'am super worried were gonna see a return of a 22/23 scenario. 

I see people blaming his linemates, I'm sorry, this guy is the 5th highest paid player in the NHL this year - shouldn't matter who his linemates are - he should be the one elevating them - not the other way around.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brettknight/2024/10/09/the-nhls-highest-paid-players-2024/

As far as I'm concerned - his agent fleeced the Canucks.  He's worth like half of what he's getting.

Remember Anson Carter?  Most goals he ever scored in a season was when he played with the Sedins - he demanded higher pay - Canucks said no - and he faded out of the league - as it was only because he played with the Sedins that he looked great.  That's what Pettersson needs to do - make his linemates look great. 

So please stop with the excuses.  Stop blaming his linemates.  Stop blaming the coaches.  Stop blaming management.    

excited-angry.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=5c07412

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Toni Zamboni said:

i thought he had an injury at some point last year he was battling.
either way, you dont give up on a player of his calibre to hastily.
he will find his spark again.
this crowd was ready to unload Boeser during his slump as well so...

I agree. Need to wait until trade deadline in either case...

My theory is D-Petey joined Abbotsford Canucks shortly after the ASG and perhaps with the addition of another Elias Pettersson, it someone sapped all of Petey's skills and energy. The Alien is slowly becoming the human form of himself.

200.gif

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Waive his Swedish ass. 

Am I doing this right?

He has one even strength goal since signing his fat contract. ONE

Somethings gotta give, Jimmy. The kid needs a shrink or a new team he can try and hold hostage under the guise of wanting to "be competitive".

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, luckylager said:

He has one even strength goal since signing his fat contract. ONE

Somethings gotta give, Jimmy. The kid needs a shrink or a new team he can try and hold hostage under the guise of wanting to "be competitive".

Nah. Kids got talent, it'll be fine. 

It's like crapping yourself when you kid goes through a temporary rough patch.

Big picture looks bright.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Nah. Kids got talent, it'll be fine. 

It's like crapping yourself when you kid goes through a temporary rough patch.

Big picture looks bright.

We're not talking about a little rough patch, hanging with the wrong crowd, having the cops knock at the door to speak with them.

It's a pattern of behaviour which has been going on for almost 6 months. At that point, it becomes the new normal. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1