The Steady Decline of EP-11.6

LaBamba

4 hours ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Here's 1 vote for Elias.

When he's wrapping up his career, will be firmly counted as 1 of the Canucks top-3 players, all-time.

If that happens then he will have recovered magnificently and unseated at least Quinn Hughes or at least one Sedin...never mind Lu, Linden etc.  Let's hope so.  Between Demko, Hughes, Elias, JT and Boeser, this team has the makings of a varsity athlete...I mean the makings to really leave a mark to last forever on the all time list.  But right now it's mostly just potential.  There was a team with Linden, McLean, Bure and Ronning that had similar potential and did some great things but some tentures like Big Cliff were cut short and some guys like Babych arrived for the back nine of their careers.  Similar stuff with the 1982 and 2011 renditions.

The only thing happening now that I've never seen before and seen more than once is Quinn Hughes.  We had never had a guy finish higher than 6th for the Norris I don't think and had never had a blueliner score 70 points, never mind enter the NHL's all time elite with 90.  Is that the difference for one or more Stanley Cups?  Maybe.  It was with Orr, Coffey, Potvin, Leetch, MacInnis etc.  It wasn't with Phil Housley or (off the top of my head) some other high scoring blueliners like Kevin Hatcher, Brad Park, Randy Carlyle, Doug Wilson and so on.  And like Hughes, Carlyle and Wilson were Norris Trophy winners.

Let's hope it all comes together at least once before the team either gets broken up early like the 1994 squad or ages out like the 1982 and 2011 ones.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Nah. Kids got talent, it'll be fine. 

It's like crapping yourself when you kid goes through a temporary rough patch.

Big picture looks bright.

Streaks in scoring are very common amongst prolific scorers. It’s the engagement that has me concerned. When talent falls off seemingly unexpectedly during the prime years of a career it’s usually 1 of 2 things. Drug addiction or injuries. When EP is buzzing, he completely changes the game. If we had elite EP last spring, who knows? We might’ve been hanging a Stanley cup banner in our home opener. 

2 hours ago, SuchaNuxtalgia said:

Here's 1 vote for Elias.

When he's wrapping up his career, will be firmly counted as 1 of the Canucks top-3 players, all-time.

Nobody is here to bash the guy. When it costs over $1000 to take your family to a Canucks game you have the right to hold the highest paid player in Vancouver sports history accountable. We obviously all want him to succeed. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Streaks in scoring are very common amongst prolific scorers. It’s the engagement that has me concerned. When talent falls off seemingly unexpectedly during the prime years of a career it’s usually 1 of 2 things. Drug addiction or injuries. When EP is buzzing, he completely changes the game. If we had elite EP last spring, who knows? We might’ve been hanging a Stanley cup banner in our home opener. 

For sure, that knee or whatever else didn't help.

Like I said above, I'll start worrying late November if need be.

To be fair to your thread, I did voice concerns last year about Petey getting a big contract, it might take him time to get his brain right.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

For sure, that knee or whatever else didn't help.

Like I said above, I'll start worrying late November if need be.

To be fair to your thread, I did voice concerns last year about Petey getting a big contract, it might take him time to get his brain right.

Ya but he’s got to at least have dominant shifts. He isn’t have any of those. That’s the most concerning thing. He doesn’t even look threatening. Where are the dominant shifts?

1 hour ago, LaBamba said:

Unless you're Grant Fuhr or Theoren Fleury.  Those guys seemingly could have snorted enough of whatever they wanted to kill Tony Montana and everything in the San Diego Zoo and barely miss a beat on the ice.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Unless you're Grant Fuhr or Theoren Fleury.  Those guys could seemingly could have snorted enough of whatever they wanted to kill Tony Montana and everything in the San Diego Zoo and barely miss a beat on the ice.

Have you heard Theo lately? Dude is cooked.

55 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Only one I can think of is Bobby Ryan, and he kind of had his demons.   Bob Probert but he kept it going.   As for Furh, he just happened to get caught with it and the media turned it into a circus, he said sure he occasionally "partied", that it was everywhere, a lot of NHLers "partyed" with it, and there were guys who actually did use it regularly, but he didn't.    Was never addicted.    

Injuries is ridiculous.   Tendonitis doesn't warrant any concern over an 8 year deal.   If he had injuries and hid them, he'd be roasted and the contract terminated. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Only one I can think of is Bobby Ryan, and he kind of had his demons.   Bob Probert but he kept it going.   As for Furh, he just happened to get caught with it and the media turned it into a circus, he said sure he occasionally "partied", that it was everywhere, a lot of NHLers "partyed" with it, and there were guys who actually did use it regularly, but he didn't.    Was never addicted.    

Injuries is ridiculous.   Tendonitis doesn't warrant any concern over an 8 year deal.   If he had injuries and hid them, he'd be roasted and the contract terminated. 

A formal oiler from the Gretzky days is actually the head of the consulting firm I’ve worked thru for the last 15 years. The stories he has about the Oiler dynasty are completely unbelievable. I also grew up with Stoll. Both guys have told me that hard drugs are a huge deal in hockey. They get you fucked up, they’re out of your system fast and there is no real hangover.
I actually don’t think EP is into the hard drugs or has any injuries. I think he is suffering from something psychological. I think that he is extremely hard on himself and the deeper this slump goes the deeper he goes into a cave. 

3 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

A formal oiler from the Gretzky days is actually the head of the consulting firm I’ve worked thru for the last 15 years. The stories he has about the Oiler dynasty are completely unbelievable. I also grew up with Stoll. Both guys have told me that hard drugs are a huge deal in hockey. They get you fucked up, they’re out of your system fast and there is no real hangover.
I actually don’t think EP is into the hard drugs or has any injuries. I think he is suffering from something psychological. I think that he is extremely hard on himself and the deeper this slump goes the deeper he goes into a cave. 

Coilers and their fans are MOFUS. Loser team. Loser city. Loser fans. 
Petey actually plays hard without the puck. He plays the right way. Unlike those to puck sucking cheaters of the game: McWhiner Baby and Crycycle.  

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Coilers and their fans are MOFUS. Loser team. Loser city. Loser fans. 
Petey actually plays hard without the puck. He plays the right way. Unlike those to puck sucking cheaters of the game: McWhiner Baby and Crycycle.  

Looks like you’re still talking like a 5 year old to try and get upvoted.