[Signing] Stars extend Otter

1 minute ago, Integra250 said:

Looks like Demko will get something similar assuming he's healthy and back to top form.

I expect it'll be more 8.75-9.5 if happens, he's still got this season and next to go before he needs a new deal 

Depends on how the cap jumps, and I do expect Shesterkin will raise the bar further for all starters 

57 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Both at 8.25m, I'd easily take Oettinger over Swayman

Interesting. I wonder if you're thinking a little too much in terms of fantasy, as Dallas would obviously be the more appealing team affiliation.

I'd take Swayman, but would be close. To say either "easily" seems gratuitous to me.

24 minutes ago, MatchesMalone said:

Interesting. I wonder if you're thinking a little too much in terms of fantasy, as Dallas would obviously be the more appealing team affiliation.

I'd take Swayman, but would be close. To say either "easily" seems gratuitous to me.

Both are the same age, and play behind good systems, but Oettinger has proven himself as a quality #1 goalie, and has had more playoff success. Better overall resume, and he's the better talent if I had to rely on one of them for any given game.

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I expect it'll be more 8.75-9.5 if happens, he's still got this season and next to go before he needs a new deal 

Depends on how the cap jumps, and I do expect Shesterkin will raise the bar further for all starters 

Oettinger is like 3 years younger so that will factor in.

But yea probably looking like 8-9 if he can get back healthy and playing regularly.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Oettinger is like 3 years younger so that will factor in.

But yea probably looking like 8-9 if he can get back healthy and playing regularly.

It's true, but I believe he was also an RFA whereas Demko's expiring deal will have him being a UFA.

Not that I think there's a chance Demko won't be back, assuming he's healthy and playing well going forward, but it's still a different negotiation. 

I do think Swayman, and then Ullmark, alterered the market. I also think the looming Shesterkin extension is  influencing clubs like Dallas to get their tenders locked in before the bar is raised again. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Hmm something about Texas tax advantage:

Going off their tool, which is found below, that tax difference between Dallas and Vancouver on an 8.25M deal would be $1,353,717 annually 

Whereas the difference between Dallas and Boston is closer to 400k

https://cardinalpointathleteadvisors.com/nhl-tax-calculator/

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Both are the same age, and play behind good systems, but Oettinger has proven himself as a quality #1 goalie, and has had more playoff success. Better overall resume, and he's the better talent if I had to rely on one of them for any given game.

Fair enough. I mean I disagree but I'm not invested enough to argue much about it. I'm useless when it comes to scouting goalies by eye. But by most of the stats and measures I use, Swayman seems the slightly better long-term option. Oettinger is more proven, sure, but I think more important is a. who's the better goalie right now and b. who will be the better goalie over the next eight years. It was mostly just the "easily" I disagreed with anyway.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, MatchesMalone said:

Fair enough. I mean I disagree but I'm not invested enough to argue much about it. I'm useless when it comes to scouting goalies by eye. But by most of the stats and measures I use, Swayman seems the slightly better long-term option. Oettinger is more proven, sure, but I think more important is a. who's the better goalie right now and b. who will be the better goalie over the next eight years. It was mostly just the "easily" I disagreed with anyway.

I'm not sure if I would argue the "easily" part, but I also think Oettinger has earned this contract more than Swayman has earned his. Last season was a down year for Oettinger, however Swayman has never played more than 44 games in a season. Oettinger only played less than that his covid-shortened rookie season. Two seasons ago Oettinger played 62 games and finished 5th in Norris voting. Swayman only played 37 games that season.

Swayman has shown that he can play at an elite level when he has an elite partner to back him up, but is unproven as a starter as he has always had a security blanket. On the other hand, Oettinger has shown he can play at an elite level while also shouldering a heavy workload. Also, if you're talking about who the better goalie is right now, it's an incredibly small sample size, but in 3 games Oettinger already has a shutout and a .948 save percentage and Swayman is sporting a .893 save percentage (obviously being a little tongue in check here as it's way to small of a sample size for any real analysis).

• Cheers 1