[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Chicago Chicken Hawks, Oct 22, 8:15 EDT (5:15 PST), The PLUCK THE FEATHERS & BEAT THE STUFFING OUTTA DA HAWKS Game!!!

Rocket-68

WOOHOO HOCKEY GAME on Nov 19th  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Be Able to Attend the Game on Nov 19 in Person if you win the ticket?

• Hell Yes, I will walk all the way from Edmonton if I had to singing Hallelujah all the way!
    • I would love to but unfortunately I live too far away, plus my significant other frowns on meeting strangers over the internet so CANNOT have my my name thrown into the hat.

19 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

A Random Hockey Story

Reveal hidden contents

2024-25 Season Predictions for New Vancouver Canucks

July 27, 2024 by Matthew Zator

The Vancouver Canucks will have at least six new faces in the lineup when the puck drops on Oct. 9 against the Calgary Flames. General manager Patrik Allvin was busy early on in free agency improving the team (at least on paper) from what skated off the ice at Rogers Arena after their 3-2 defeat at the hands of the Edmonton Oilers. While they lost two big pieces in Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov to the Boston Bruins, they replaced them with cheaper options and now have way more depth up front and on the blue line. So, with that said, let’s take a closer look at the new additions and what we can expect from them in 2024-25.

Vancouver Canucks Jake DeBrusk, Daniel Sprong, Keifer Sherwood, Vincent Desharnais and Danton Heinen

Note: I am not including Abbotsford-bound Nathan Smith and Jiri Patera since they likely won’t see many games in Vancouver this season.

Jake DeBrusk

Jake DeBrusk was signed to play with Elias Pettersson (at least to start), so assuming they gain quick chemistry together, he could hit the ground running with goals and points right out of the gate. With his size, speed, and two-way game, he might be exactly what Pettersson has been looking for on his wing since he entered the NHL in 2018. He has succeeded with the likes of David Pastrnak, Brad Marchand, David Krejci, and Patrice Bergeron in the past, so he’s no stranger to playing with elite players. He will also take up shop on the first-unit power play alongside Pettersson, JT Miller, Brock Boeser and Quinn Hughes, giving him a great opportunity to improve on the 19 goals and 40 points he put up last season.

Prediction: 30 goals and 70 points playing primarily with Pettersson and on the first power play unit.

Danton Heinen

Joining DeBrusk from the Bruins and yet another player with ties to Pittsburgh, Danton Heinen will be a Swiss Army knife for head coach Rick Tocchet and his staff this season. Capable of playing in all situations and up and down the lineup, I anticipate he will be a valuable piece of the Canucks’ efforts to repeat as Pacific Division champions. He is also joining his hometown team as a native of Langley, BC, so he should be extra motivated to perform in front of the Rogers Arena faithful. Coming off a season where he was nominated for the Bill Masterton Trophy and scored 17 goals and 36 points after joining the Bruins on a professional tryout contract (PTO), his confidence should be sky-high as well.

While Heinen is not guaranteed to play in the top six with an elite center like Miller or Pettersson, he will likely be given an opportunity with both of them in training camp. He played 153:24 at even strength with DeBrusk last season, so he might partner with his former Bruins teammate and give Pettersson two new linemates instead of one. He could also be a good fit with Miller and Brock Boeser as he plays a high-energy style that will dig into the corners and retrieve the puck for the two 30-goal scorers. Even if he doesn’t start the season in the top six, he will still be a valuable piece of the roster playing on both the power play and penalty kill ala the recently-traded Ilya Mikheyev – hopefully with way more production.

Prediction: 20-25 goals alternating between the top-six and bottom-six. He will also see plenty of time on special teams, most likely the second power play unit.

Daniel Sprong

There’s a new combatant for the top of the lineup in training camp, Daniel Sprong. The latest signing by Allvin and the Canucks might turn out to be one of the best as he has been a very effective forward in the NHL over the past two seasons. A veteran of 344 games and joining his sixth team at the age of 27, it’s surprising he wasn’t one of the first players off the board on July 1. Even he was confused by the lack of interest in his services.

“It’s kind of a wake-up call, but at the same time, I think it’s also good motivation and kind of put some fuel to the fire”

Sprong has been criticized for his defensive game in the past, and that is probably why teams were hesitant to sign him. But, if any coach is going to turn that part of his game around, it’s Tocchet. It’s also a good sign that he knows it’s a weakness and is committed to improving it. Having said that, the biggest reason he was signed was his ability to put the puck in the back of the net. In limited ice time (he has never hit more than 12 minutes) in 2022-23 and 2023-24, he had 39 goals – 30 of them at even strength – and has never really played with a lot of talent. Now he is a candidate to play on Pettersson or Miller’s wing and his shot could translate to a monster season in Vancouver at a budget-friendly number of $975,000.

Prediction: 25 goals playing mostly in the top-six and second power play unit.

Kiefer Sherwood

The Canucks not only added more goals and offence this offseason but a lot of physicality. Leading the way on that front is former Nashville Predators grinder Kiefer Sherwood. He was a bee in the bonnet in last season’s first-round matchup and got onto Allvin’s radar as a target once July 1 came around. He jumped at the chance to sign him, inking him to a two-year contract in the opening hours of free agency.

“We saw first hand in the playoffs how tough Kiefer is to play against,” said Allvin. “We like his quickness, tenacity, and the way he competes in all situations. Adding another physical player to the mix will work well with the way our forward group is currently constructed.”

Kiefer Sherwood Nashville Predators

Kiefer Sherwood, Nashville Predators

Sherwood threw 234 hits last season with the Predators, which would have placed him second on the Canucks behind Dakota Joshua, who had 245. He also scored a career-high 10 goals and 27 points, so he could be good for some offence as well. If nothing else, he will make the Canucks harder to play against, especially in the playoffs where the value of physicality and pest-like attributes are magnified.

Prediction: Another season of double-digits in goals, and 200-plus hits.

Vincent Desharnais

After losing the 6-foot-6 presence of Zadorov to the Bruins, Allvin replaced him with another monster in 6-foot-7 Vincent Desharnais. He won’t bring the same mobility or offence to the blue line, but he does hit and block shots. Last season, he had 135 hits and 122 blocked shots, all while playing his first full season in the NHL at 27 years old. He’s a bit of a late bloomer, having bounced around the ECHL and American Hockey League (AHL) before debuting with the Edmonton Oilers in 2022-23.

Desharnais’ role on the Canucks will likely be the same as it was in Edmonton. He won’t see time on the power play but will be one of the primary defencemen on the penalty kill. With the Oilers, he was the third-most utilized at 2:02 shorthanded time-on-ice per game (SH TOI/GP), and with workhorse Ian Cole (2:39 SH TOI/GP) now in Utah, he could see a lot more time on the PK this season. He should be up to the task given he’s not afraid to put his body in harm’s way, whether it be physically or dropping in front of a shot.

Prediction: Offensively, Desharnais won’t bring a lot, but the hits and blocked shots categories will hit triple digits, likely 150-plus in both.

Derek Forbort

The Canucks added even more size and physicality to the defence with Derek Forbort. He was plagued by injuries last season that limited him to only 35 games, but usually averages 100 or more hits and blocked shots when he is healthy. He made an unlikely return to the lineup in the playoffs after being shut down for surgery in March, which garnered a lot of respect from his coaches and teammates.

“Tremendous work ethic…I mean, he wanted to come back and play you know, dealt with a lot of injuries this year. And just the fact that he’s a great locker room guy, he’s got a great sense of humor, he cares about his teammates. It’s a good add in the locker room.”

Bruins head coach Jim Montgomery

So, Forbort won’t only bring hits and blocked shots to the table, but character and leadership as well. Like Desharnais, offence isn’t his calling card, but stout defence and a willingness to block shots and do the little things defensively like boxing out in front of the net and playing physically along the boards. He will also add a lot to the penalty kill, which he was a big part of in Boston recording 3:01 SH TOI/GP in the 35 games he played. In fact, since he joined the Bruins in 2021-22, he saw the highest average ice time on the PK of everyone on the roster at 3:05, just slightly ahead of Brandon Carlo (3:01).

Prediction: Forbort will likely take Cole’s spot on the first-unit penalty kill and see similar average ice time as he saw in Boston. He will also return to the 100-plus blocked shots and hits that he was known for before his bout with the injury bug.

Canucks Will Be a Better & Deeper Team in 2024-25

Some people may think the Canucks are worse off without Lindholm and Zadorov. But, consider this, Allvin wouldn’t have had the cap space to re-sign Joshua, Teddy Blueger, and Tyler Myers, or add two wingers that could possibly thrive with Pettersson. Also, before the Lindholm and Zadorov additions, the Canucks were already an elite team near the top of the Western Conference. If nothing else, they’re returning a similar, and possibly bigger and tougher to play against roster than they had at the outset of 2023-24. Pettersson will also have two goalscorers on his wings in Sprong and DeBrusk, something he did not have on opening night against the Oilers last season. Time will tell, but I see this new and improved lineup accomplishing more great things in 2024-25.

Source: https://thehockeywriters.com/new-canucks-2024-25-season-predictions-debrusk-sprong-heinen/

*** Let's Check in at the quarter season mark to see how accurate the above is ***

Overview

Well, well, it looks like the train is righting itself and starting to pull  away from the station. All aboard, those that were jumping off the Canucks bandwagon just a couple of games ago. 

Those that were looking for a statement game got one on Saturday night. Posts, schmosts, you have to be in position to force a shooter to make the perfect shot to beat you. Defence has to be playing well harassing a shooter to rush their shot giving the goalie the best chance to make a stop. Flyers were in prime shooting spots a few times, high slot with puck on a shooter's strong side and the defence goalie tandem worked to reduce the danger probabilities. 

JT Miller - OOPHFF - scary right off the opening faceoff wincing at the 19:59 mark and then heading off for a few minutes. Boeser taking all the faceoffs after Miller returns was more of a precaution than JT was hurt, right ... RIGHT!!!! Hockey gods are smiling on us ... I hope, we shall see on Tuesday. 

Which gets me to the the meat of this Overview, the 'Nucks vs Hawks game. Canucks are sitting at 2-1-2 versus the Hawks 2-3-1. The couple of days off is fortuitous for our resident pile driver with silky hands - J --- T --- MIIILLLLLEEEERRRRRRRRR - rest, relaxation and treatment should do wonders for his probability of playing Tuesday. Miller's overtime winner is a stark reminder on how valuable he is to our beloved Canucks - a difference maker any time he steps on the ice. Miller is 6 shy of Daniel Sedin's 16 overtime goals record having played about 1/2 the games Danny did. Magic 8-Ball predicts JT breaks the record before he is done as a Canuck.

**** MORE TO COME ***

Quote of the day:

“He’s dealing with some stuff. We’ll figure it out in the next couple of days, but we didn’t want him to take faceoffs.” - Tic Toc on Miller's situation.

Head to Head Stats

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.2ba590a7c334a382b37803e6c481ed39.png

image.png.c6e3b530e144712c0686593d0b9fa067.png

Media

TV: Sportsnet Pacific, CHSN

Radio: SportsNet 650

Streaming: Fuck Sportsnet+ lots on various Reddit threads, here are a few sites (results may vary)

https://reddit.nhlbite.com/live

https://nhlwebcast.com/

https://v2.sportsurge.to/nhlstreams

https://nhlstream.net/

By the Numbers

Reveal hidden contents

What the Bookies are Saying

Reveal hidden contents

Matchup Info

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.9818f6cadee58b2ae10b7a52eb4e297b.png

image.png.a86d5b001113acca43b88f71f14d88e7.png

image.png.cae68a7aa583b17c2cbfecf4d824e604.png

image.png.2d589de24b2d9b03471fbfb5ab8d2795.png

Da Zebras

Reveal hidden contents

Now for some fun stuff

Canucks vs Blackhawks Mar 29, 2009

Blackhawks vs Canucks scrum May 9, 2009

Forgot how much I hated Blackhawks... 

Funny to see cross checks to the back of the head, elbows to the goalies face etc... and nothing... yet 2 years later a cross check to the chest would mean a 4 game suspension in the finals.... NHL really is/was rigged....

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, flat land fish said:

This must be the most relaxed road trip of all time no back to backs.  3 days between the last 2 games.  Philly and Chicago aren't even too far apart.

SHHHH.... don't let Bettman hear you or next year we'll have EVERY game back to backed

@Rocket-68: Fantastic GDT! I always enjoy your layout and the entertaining stories with which you provide us. 

On paper this should be an easier match up for us. Which means we need to build off of the last game and come out strong. If we play hard for a full 60 minutes we should win this without too much difficulty. I predict we take this game 4-2 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Great DGT but I don’t like the poll. Some of us (I speak for myself) don’t have significant others. It is terribly rude to suggest another person would control my life, when in fact work controls my life. 

In both cases the blame goes towards those regularly screwing us.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Lotto Section

Here is the lotto ticket although the draw is this coming Tuesday. While the rules are probably well established, will post for clarity:

1) I am the sole arbiter on who gets what if anything, LOL, but I am a generous sort

2) Have to be posting in this thread for a chance at a small piece of the big prize if we should hit 7/7 numbers

3) I reserve the right to add someone to my ignore list retroactively, proactively or for any damn reason at all

4) Those on my ignore list will be properly compensated for posting in this thread even though buckets of shekels shall not rain down on them should the unlikely even happen. So to not have those souls go without, I will cobble together a swag bag consisting of:

• A toilet brush and busted bucket
  • A pint of prairie oysters
  • An autographed picture of the group cashing in on the lotto game ... woohoo
  • A happy meal gift certificate ... hey, the rest will be dining at Joe Forte's pregame so have to at least provide a meal as compensation

image.png.03d70561ca62f934d0a08f2c797eb094.png

Hockey Ticket Section

Up for grabs is a ticket to the Nov 19th Vancouver Canucks vs New York Rangers game. Yes, for reals. The ticket is in Section 110, Row 16, one of Seats 103 - 106.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.4f827b6cc4de6d975918b020b16a82ae.png

Rules:

1) Most important one - make sure you are able to attend the game if your name is drawn

2) Must be posting in this thread AND answer the poll question in the affirmative ... I would hate to have an empty seat beside me

3) Must have a Ticketmaster account so the ticket can be pushed over 

... that is pretty much it, nothing more ...

How the winnner will be decided:

• After the end of the Canucks @ Black Hawks game, a numbered list of all eligible participants will be created. 
  • List will be password protected and sent to @-dlc-
  • @Ribs will then randomly draw a number between 1 and the number of eligible participants
  • Ribs will post the winner and list in the next GDT I will do on Oct 26th
  • I will push the ticket over to the winner's Ticketmaster account right away

Fairest way I could think of to give away a ticket is to have mods do it ... 😁

Note: Deb and Ribs might tweak the "how a winner will be decided" slightly but the gist is there.

Winner can also post receiving the ticket and preen outrageously at their good fortune to the rest of the CFF gang.

This is very generous of you, Rocket!

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

So does that mean Miller is out for tonight’s game?

If there was ever a time for Petey to step up it would be today. 

Suter has some chemistry with Boeser. However, centering the 1st line between Debrusk/Boeser might turn out to be too much to ask from Suter. We shall see…

I like that Brannstrom is back in, I feel like he will have a good game tonight. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Suter has some chemistry with Boeser. However, centering the 1st line between Debrusk/Boeser might turn out to be too much to ask from Suter. We shall see…

I like that Brannstrom is back in, I feel like he will have a good game tonight. 

all 23 regulars are out for tonight's game. it's gearing up to be a disaster!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

Game is tomorrow.  

They are resting JT today. Maybe he will play tomorrow.  

Edited by Jaimito

Excellent GDT and one I'll get to watch in real time for a change! (barring any SN kerfuffles)

Not sure what I'll ultimately enter in the PTSC thread but I'm thinking a convincing 5-1 thrashing

Wondering if Lank gets a rest or another start to keep his hot streak going