[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Chicago Chicken Hawks, Oct 22, 8:15 EDT (5:15 PST), The PLUCK THE FEATHERS & BEAT THE STUFFING OUTTA DA HAWKS Game!!!

Rocket-68

WOOHOO HOCKEY GAME on Nov 19th  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Will You Be Able to Attend the Game on Nov 19 in Person if you win the ticket?

• Hell Yes, I will walk all the way from Edmonton if I had to singing Hallelujah all the way!
    • I would love to but unfortunately I live too far away, plus my significant other frowns on meeting strangers over the internet so CANNOT have my my name thrown into the hat.

On 10/20/2024 at 9:49 PM, Captkirk888 said:

Great DGT but I don’t like the poll. Some of us (I speak for myself) don’t have significant others. It is terribly rude to suggest another person would control my life, when in fact work controls my life. 

Both my wife and my work control my life, but since I’m a Mod and can’t win anyway, for once I can’t try to blame either. :classic_wink:

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I always liked Brent Sopel. Before we had Chris Tanev we had Brent Sopel. I might suggest that Sopel's point shot was better than Tanev's.

It was a real eye opening to hear Sopel's describe his alcohol problem and that he played games with a buzz on. I think he said it was his way of dealing with the stress of playing NHL hockey. He started a foundation in Chicago for alcohol addiction and I believe he lives there but not sure. I sent an email but had no reply. His story is not unique to the NHL or the Canucks. I wish him well.  

Went to a game in the early 2000's, and Sopel was absolutely on fire.   We played CAR, and they were very good back then too, and shellacked them 7-1  remember that much, was with a friend and we hit it pretty hard before the game, on the bus to the game and at the game.    And Sopel had a huge game.    CAR was awfully good back then too.  

A week or so later, we played them again in CAR, had the game, lost a two goal lead, then with half the third period or so left Sopel stood up and scored a couple goals to beat them 7-5.    Remember him as a Jekyll and Hyde sort, could win you a game almost single handedly, and blow them too with terrible reads/defensive gaffes.   For sure he was a top four though, and what a mop of hair.   And goofy grin.    Those two games (think it was before the all-star game, after Christmas), were the most memorable ones for me anyways.    Quin drafted Ohlund, Aucion (4th in Norris playing number one in NYI), Sopel and Strudwick over a few years in the mid 90's.   Sopel and Aucion both ended up having very good careers. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

We haven’t had that spirit here since Burr. I loved it then, and I love it now. Sherwood is a beauty! I’m also a huge fan of his hitting game. Something this term sorely needed. 

As for tonight’s game, I’m finally out of the hospital and back home with my family recovering from successful gallbladder surgery, and I’m looking forward to watching this one live from my couch absolutely loaded on painkillers. 

IMG_5966.gif.27db6a2081ccdd3e6d2729b3e60dfdf9.gif

Take care 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Game Day!

woohoo.

I saw on a pull through (bottom of SN) that JT 'may not play' tonight due to an upper body injury.

But I haven't anymore on it - maybe it was a nightmare.

Go Nucks!

(post made pre-coffee so anything is possible)

Edited by Canadian_Kanga

GIven the win of the last game, I would really really like to see the Canucks blow this out. Blow them out, and hopefully Petey is a big part of that.

If both these things happen (and both should be possible), I feel it will be a big boost for this club after a tepid start.

Edited by Reznor
  • Cheers 1

we best not take the Hawks lightly, their special teams are great 6th on Power play and 6th on PK, they score as much as we do  so we better make sure we dont take penalties against them, play sound defense and our goalie has to outduel theirs. 

sounds like Miller is out for the game, we need Petey to step it up big.

13 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

With Lankinen’s last shutout win, and us not wanting to be perceived as taking Chicago lightly, and having seen Bedard embarrass some goalies from longer range numerous times with his release - I gotta assume Lankinen gets the start 

This alone would be the reason why I would start Lankinen this game.

Silovs biggest weakness is his ability to stop shots from long range. It's really tough to watch because he would make big saves from in tight or point blank robbing some of the best shooters in high danger area, but some random bottom pairing D throws a floater from the point would beat him.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

This alone would be the reason why I would start Lankinen this game.

Silovs biggest weakness is his ability to stop shots from long range. It's really tough to watch because he would make big saves from in tight or point blank robbing some of the best shooters in high danger area, but some random bottom pairing D throws a floater from the point would beat him.

If that's the case with Arty, then block more shots. But that's not daily the case sit it.

Just now, Sativika said:

If that's the case with Arty, then block more shots. But that's not daily the case sit it.

It's not as easy as blocking shots, the system the Canucks play is to not give up the middle/prime scoring area of the ice to the opponent. We put sticks in the lanes and allow our goalie to play have the net.

I will say this, a goalie who can't stop long range shot is extremely hard to play in front of. If you stretch too wide to cover the point men, you leave the middle of the ice open for cross-ice passes. Arty has to figure this part of the game out.

I said after the playoffs that Bouchard is overrated because of the series he had against us. It's a case of a guy with one of the best one-timers from the point shooting against a goalie who struggles mightily with long range shots.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

It's not as easy as blocking shots, the system the Canucks play is to not give up the middle/prime scoring area of the ice to the opponent. We put sticks in the lanes and allow our goalie to play have the net.

I will say this, a goalie who can't stop long range shot is extremely hard to play in front of. If you stretch too wide to cover the point men, you leave the middle of the ice open for cross-ice passes. Arty has to figure this part of the game out.

I said after the playoffs that Bouchard is overrated because of the series he had against us. It's a case of a guy with one of the best one-timers from the point shooting against a goalie who struggles mightily with long range shots.

The fundamentals of the game elude me. Thanks for that. Honestly I didn't think it to be as simple as block more shots. That said.............

What're the lineups for tonight's game?!?!??

15 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Man oh man do I miss the salad days of the Canucks vs Hawks rivalry from the 2008 - 2012 ish days. Some absolutely solid gold hockey. I went to a number of those games live and the roof had to be strapped down in advance.

WoW, for D if we could find a Bieksa and on F a Kesler, pluck anyone off of this team not named Miller, Petey, Boeser, Huggy, Myers, Joshua and Honker and I would bet @RU SERIOUS house we would win the cup this year.

... la-sigh ... but to dream ...

I think we already have a Kesler in Miller. Excellent two-way C, plays with a lot of emotion, gets involved physically. Miller is a better playmaker though. The D could sure use an upgrade though, a Bieksa-like player would be awesome.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

So glad you're ok. Take it easy for awhile...pace yourself. I tended to push it too much too soon.

Not sure if you saw or missed my gall bladder surgery story? My daughter picked me up from the hospital to stay with her overnight. I was still woozy...but they rigged up a stream for me to catch the Canucks' game (I insisted on going home to watch it if they couldn't get it...I'm stubborn like that).

They set me up in their lovely room....game on, all good. What I didn't know was that they had the game going downstairs and it was slightlyr ahead of my stream, which was lagging behind. So they knew JT had just scored (and that I'd react).

They rushed upstairs to capture my reaction, knowing I'd be celebrating (my daughter recording me on her phone, which I didn't know). They asked how I was doing (to fake the reason for being up there). Then JT scored and....well....my reaction...was to spring up in bed, punch in the air with a woo and knock a mounted overhead light off their bedroom wall, busting it.

I felt so bad.

They were too busy hysterically laughing. The video's ridiculously funny.

D'oh

Hahahaha shit I think I missed seeing that story. That’s a good one! I’m glad they weren’t upset. They probably just thought, “Classic Deb (Mom)!”

Yeah, I’m sore but it’s not as bad as it was the 5 days I was at the hospital waiting for surgery. I’m hopeful I’ll start recovering fast now that it’s out of me. Just gonna take it slow. 

Thanks for the laugh!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

It pains me to agree with this. Bouchard does indeed have a bomb from the point, but it's not like he has some insane accuracy to score wrist-shots from the point.

Arty just wasn't tracking well enough, and those shots came in fast through the crowd.

That said, if someone like Bedard finds his shooting lane, it doesn't matter who's in net.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, nergish said:

It pains me to agree with this. Bouchard does indeed have a bomb from the point, but it's not like he has some insane accuracy to score wrist-shots from the point.

Arty just wasn't tracking well enough, and those shots came in fast through the crowd.

That said, if someone like Bedard finds his shooting lane, it doesn't matter who's in net.

That Bedard snap shot is a thing of beauty. His ability to snap it in traffic with no sign of set up is maybe even better than Sakic. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Like 1