[Signing] Anaheim Re-signs Trevor Zegras

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Seems they're well on their way to burning a bridge with Drysdale.

As for Zegras, kid is so underrated and underappreciated here. 

Same as Subban was.  People confuse confidence and a strong personality with arrogance and then wonder why interviews are boring.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

He'll be fine but Anaheim sure is playing a dangerous game trying to low-ball their youngsters

image.png.08d2b9fa0f1f8d9e084cdc03cefa22b0.png

I find these J Fresh cards about as useful as +/-. A percentage does not tell much it's ok I suppose as an indicator. A guy who has 10 shots on goal and scores on 3 of them can have a better finishing % than a guy who scores 25 on 100 shots obviously the guy with 100 shots is creating significantly more opportunities.  

3 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Seems they're well on their way to burning a bridge with Drysdale.

As for Zegras, kid is so underrated and underappreciated here. 

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Same as Subban was.  People confuse confidence and a strong personality with arrogance and then wonder why interviews are boring.

Every Canadian with personality gets hired by American networks.  Juice is the exception because he is way too Canadian.

Zegras has one glaring weakness - his temper gets him into a lot of trouble.  Stupid untimely penalties that punish his team.  He needs to mature there.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He got more than Kuzmenko who’s a 39 goal scorer. How much were you thinking a 65 point player was going to get on a bridge deal? 

I think they settled on a very reasonable deal but I'm sure some (if not all) of the rumours were true regarding Zegras and Drysdale.  

I also think the expectation of Zegras is that he improves much more than what Kuzmenko can do.  I'd love to see Kuzy hit 50Gs but his finishing last year was insanely insanely high.  Not sure if that is sustainable over multiple years.

I've posted Kuzy's card before.  It's magnificent. 

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

I find these J Fresh cards about as useful as +/-. A percentage does not tell much it's ok I suppose as an indicator. A guy who has 10 shots on goal and scores on 3 of them can have a better finishing % than a guy who scores 25 on 100 shots obviously the guy with 100 shots is creating significantly more opportunities.  

The model can be a bit wonky for players who don't see much action but this is Zegras.  I think it shows exactly the type of player he is - a super-creative passer who has a good shot of his own.

seems about right.. his numbers are very comparable to boeser's rookie contract over 82 games.. those comparing him to EP rookie contract have no idea what they are talking about.. he'll probably out perform boeser on his bridge assuming he stays healthy but i think Anaheim got it right by not giving him the max term/money deal until he can prove he's a team player and not a self centered me first guy.. it doesn't really matter if he's a 100 point guy if he ends up like a -30 player.. that just means the other team scores way against them when they are on the ice.. so kinda negates all the points he scores

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

seems about right.. his numbers are very comparable to boeser's rookie contract over 82 games.. those comparing him to EP rookie contract have no idea what they are talking about.. he'll probably out perform boeser on his bridge assuming he stays healthy but i think Anaheim got it right by not giving him the max term/money deal until he can prove he's a team player and not a self centered me first guy.. it doesn't really matter if he's a 100 point guy if he ends up like a -30 player.. that just means the other team scores way against them when they are on the ice.. so kinda negates all the points he scores

Zegras has zero defensive game, doesn’t kill penalties and isn’t an elite goal scorer. At least Boeser was pushing 30 goals. And Boeser’s PPG was also much higher than Zegras. As for Petey, Zegras isn’t even in the same galaxy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Zegras has zero defensive game, doesn’t kill penalties and isn’t an elite goal scorer. At least Boeser was pushing 30 goals. And Boeser’s PPG was also much higher than Zegras. As for Petey, Zegras isn’t even in the same galaxy. 

It's a shame he's on such a horrible team and that he couldn't build on top of his rookie season.  Every single Duck took a step or two back.  Zegras really needs to think about becoming a playmaker winger like Panarin/Gaudreau.  Anaheim has two top-six centres now.

If Zegras follows Boeser's development path, that is not good.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It's a shame he's on such a horrible team and that he couldn't build on top of his rookie season.  Every single Duck took a step or two back.  Zegras really needs to think about becoming a playmaker winger like Panarin/Gaudreau.  Anaheim has two top-six centres now.

If Zegras follows Boeser's development path, that is not good.

I agree. They should move him to the wing and play him with Carlsson. 

Anaheim will have a deadly power play in a couple years. Mintyukov is the real deal. 

Carlsson, Zegras, Terry, McTavish and Mintyukov should be one of the better power plays in the league.

Anaheim needs more talent though. These guys are young. They may need 3-4 more years at least to be a playoff team. 

They should trade Gibson for more picks and prospects. Gibson won’t be around by the time Anaheim is ready to compete. 

12 hours ago, Canuckle said:

Bridge deal at a great price.

Seeing a lot of comments in here hating on the guy? I'll never agree with that. Zegras is awesome. The Ducks have been utter dogshit so no surprise his stats haven't been great in certain areas and he might look like a disinterested asshole sometimes. Remind us of anyone??? cough cough JT.

Still wish we'd been able to draft him at 10OA right before the damn Ducks snagged him. No knock on Podz, but we all know that's who the org wanted. And frankly so did I. And I would kill to have him in Vancouver rn.

If we drafted him everyone hating him would be saying, he's young and he will eventually mature 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

He'll be fine but Anaheim sure is playing a dangerous game trying to low-ball their youngsters

650 guys saying that the Ducks were the worst defensively and as the number one centre, this guy was part to blame for that. These numbers you posted agree. 

Zegras plays like it’s 1985.

Edited by Grandmaster

13 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Wtf we paid Boeser more than that. To be fair first year Boeser is better. Ducks really hardnosed well here. 

Also does not help Benning is the GM doing the Boeser negotiations. You always expect Benning will overpay by a factor of 1.5 x somehow in either Salary, Term, or combination of both

Edited by iinatcc

On 10/2/2023 at 11:10 AM, Miss Korea said:

The thing is Anaheim has this in their court; 

having arguably the most blue-chip high-upside prospects in the league. So much future talent at every position. So it's not like players like Drysdale and Zegras can say "Yeah but you NEED us. We're your future." Anaheim also now has two Top 3 Draft Pick Forwards in Carlsson and McTavish as well as 1st Round Pick Forwards in Gaucher, Perreault, Tracey. As well as having a 26 year old Terry now locked up for 7 years on top of trade-acquired skilled Forward prospects in N.Nesterenko and J.Caulfield. On Defense they have high-upside and consistently developing guys in Mintyukov and Zellweger. In net they have Dostal and also Clang from the Rakell Trade. Anaheim has drafted well, continues to draft well, is developing well, and therefore they know their place when dealing with the likes of Drysdale and Zegras. The only thing Drysdale and Zegras can say is they've carried a moderate amount of weight for the Ducks all while the Ducks have been literally the worst team in the NHL. But that is to be somewhat expected when you're a Top 10 Draft Pick and also entering the league on a rebuilding team. As much as Drysdale and Zegras and any other young players may want to say they deserve respect, they also need to be leaders and show the organization that they are not only quality players but also people. People who will be apart of the teams solution; be leaders, take some pay-cuts now and then maybe, take extra weight on the shoulders, put the team on your backs, rise above challenges and unfortunate situations. 

That is how the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Doughty, Kopitar, Letang, etc, etc, etc have all won multiple Stanley Cups and have earned league-wide respect. And ALOT of respect at that.

Edited by NMHockey