[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

33 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

There's a good chance we win that game if Hughes, Miller, Petey, and Demko were playing.

But what if Seattle has McCann, Schwartz, and Dunn playing? My guess is we still win, as I think our stars are more critical to our sucess than the stars of the Kraken are to their success.

2 minutes ago, A_G said:

So is swearing all good now that this is no longer CDC? Ive seen a lot of F bombs dropped lately

Pretty much. Don't overdo it, but generally, it's allowed now.

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

If you look back in the old forum you'll see that Gudbranson was the worst +/- player (including all defenceman) in the entire National Hockey League's 950 players at the time when he was finnaly dumped.    We all had high hopes for him but he was a serious let down and is not worthy of another chance.

Haven't watched Eric Gudbranson play since he was traded to Pittsburg except for some of the games against Calgary a couple of years ago.

With us, he did have a bad +/- the worst in the NHL the one season, though +/- is more of a team stat. I remember Edler (I think it was the year prior) having the NHL worst +/- at -50. Edler was not the worst player in the league by a longshot. There was a lot of fans on that forum calling for Edler's head on a stake. This was probably more of a product of the Canucks being a bad team and Gudbranson playing on the third pairing with replacement level partners in Hutton, MDZ and Pouliot.

Gudbranson when paired with Campbell in Florida was quite adequate. His Florida team mates were sorry to see him be traded. He played well in Calgary enough to get another good contract. Though he is now into his 30's and probably wants to leave the fighting to someone else.

When this forum was discussing who would be a good partner for Hughes for the next couple of years until Willander is ready, I too thought of Gudbranson but his AAV of 4 Mil. would be difficult to absorb.

Was thinking last year at the trade deadline that we should try to extend Luke Schenn to a team friendly deal and only trade him if we couldn't sign him to such a deal. Schenn was one of the more physical guys on the team and we need more players like this. Hopefully Soucy can take up some of this physical play.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I think expectations are somewhat out of alignment with reality, leading to added frustration and negativity. I'm not saying that's unjustified or unfounded. I feel it too.

But ...

If you look at every one of the preseason GDTs, the fan polls predicted the Canucks winning each one, with most results largely lopsided in favor of a Canucks victory.

And we're voting in these polls for games that we know have lineups filled with inexperienced prospects and few regulars roster players. The polls don't make sense to be that lopsided when we already know what we're dealing with.

So, it is what it is ... but just something I noticed. 

2 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Haven't watched Eric Gudbranson play since he was traded to Pittsburg except for some of the games against Calgary a couple of years ago.

With us, he did have a bad +/- the worst in the NHL the one season, though +/- is more of a team stat. I remember Edler (I think it was the year prior) having the NHL worst +/- at -50. Edler was not the worst player in the league by a longshot. There was a lot of fans on that forum calling for Edler's head on a stake. This was probably more of a product of the Canucks being a bad team and Gudbranson playing on the third pairing with replacement level partners in Hutton, MDZ and Pouliot.

Gudbranson when paired with Campbell in Florida was quite adequate. His Florida team mates were sorry to see him be traded. He played well in Calgary enough to get another good contract. Though he is now into his 30's and probably wants to leave the fighting to someone else.

When this forum was discussing who would be a good partner for Hughes for the next couple of years until Willander is ready, I too thought of Gudbranson but his AAV of 4 Mil. would be difficult to absorb.

Was thinking last year at the trade deadline that we should try to extend Luke Schenn to a team friendly deal and only trade him if we couldn't sign him to such a deal. Schenn was one of the more physical guys on the team and we need more players like this. Hopefully Soucy can take up some of this physical play.

He was an absolute animal in the playoffs for Florida too. He became their top shutdown dman in that 6 game series and was a lot of fun to watch….. then we acquired him, he came to a team that ultimately sucked and was trying to rebuild quietly… had that good ol’ new to town injury bug that seems to hit almost every god damn player we ever acquire and then he was shipped out… 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

But what if Seattle has McCann, Schwartz, and Dunn playing? My guess is we still win, as I think our stars are more critical to our sucess than the stars of the Kraken are to their success.

I still think we win. Also think we have more offensive opportunity.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

He was an absolute animal in the playoffs for Florida too. He became their top shutdown dman in that 6 game series and was a lot of fun to watch….. then we acquired him, he came to a team that ultimately sucked and was trying to rebuild quietly… had that good ol’ new to town injury bug that seems to hit almost every god damn player we ever acquire and then he was shipped out… 

Yeah that's right. He had a bad wrist, which I think needed surgery to repair.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Should I make this comment every time you have an opinion about the players on the team. 

Funny, I remember the Benning bros on the last forum using this response whenever someone critiqued Benning when he made moves that would always set us back.

"benning bros'.....this sounds like some adolescent thing...

Again, you seem to very confident that you know all. Now you're smarter than Benning! Yet he was a GM of a multi billion dollar sports franchise....and I'm guessing you're not?

I really wonder why no NHL hasn't been smart enough to hire such a hockey savant!

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Rubik said:

are we using vintage's goal gif here?

yodFKOl.gif

If we get any I'am sure we'll see it.

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Isn't Tocchet's style exactly what Travis Greene was getting us to play? We have come a full circle after 2 years.....?

It will be hard for us to excel at this style. We don't have the forward pieces. Our forwards (Beauvillier/Kuzmenko/Boeser/Hoglander/Garland; this is already more than half of our top 9 lol)  are either too lazy, too soft, too small, or too slow to play this style of hockey. 

This isn't directed to you per se but I wanted to address this theme as I've seen it come up more frequently.

I find it pretty disingenuous and over simplified to say this is the exact same style Greene plays. Unless you're at practice or in the locker room you can't know exactly what the directives are, or the finer points of any coaches strategy. This sounds more like a catch phrase for people that want to be critical. Obviously it's not the exact same. Is it defensive, yes ... it has to be these guys need to learn how to play the game correctly. 

As far as effectiveness I also saw comments from @JamesB questioning the philosophy or strategy as well. Unfortunately there is literally nothing else to be done if this team wants to get better. It's been way to much of a country club for these guys and they have to learn to do the little things correctly if they want to win and compete with the best. There is no two ways around that. Either they learn to play committed hockey or finish outside the playoffs again. Ultimately we need better personnel but the players who are going to stay might as well learn how to play the game the right way. I don't think there is some magic strategy where you just say don't worry about the little things and just cherry pick all game long and outscore your opponents. We saw that last year and the year before. Awful, just awful hockey with awful results.

Unfortunately you are correct and our team is littered with small, lazy forwards who don't like to backcheck or make high percentage plays and outwork their opponents to support their teammates. It's also chock full of salary that pushes our team to the cap ceiling and doesn't force anyone to play any better to keep their jobs.

In my opinion this is the exact way to coach this team. Teach them to win games, 1-0, 2-1, 3-2. Hopefully the team learns how to do this better than other teams. If we execute better and play with more intensity you have a good chance to win every game. Combine that with our top end skill, plus elite goaltending and we have 3 ways to win hockey games. Hopefully the players buy in but the only thing that may work is time and being able to move contracts of weaker players out for those willing to go to battle.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

This is Tocchet’s style.  Low event dump and chance hockey. 

Tocchett is all about high percentage plays that dont lead to grade A chances against.  His 2019-20 ARZ Coyotes were fun to watch-a total PITA to play against.  He’s got better horses here now but the roster is still a work in progress imo. 

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Should I make this comment every time you have an opinion about the players on the team. 

Funny, I remember the Benning bros on the last forum using this response whenever someone critiqued Benning when he made moves that would always set us back.

Well there wouldn't be much to talk about if you limited to his good moves.:classic_ninja:

But back to the game talk...it's just preseason so I wouldn't read too my much into it.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think McWard is waiver exempt. Zero chance Wolanen or Brisbois get claimed. 

I could see either of the latter two get claimed

Wolanin was the top defenseman in the AHL last year. Weak teams like SJ or Anaheim could want to take a risk with him...Breezer seems to be a capable 25 year old Dman who just needs a chance...

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Pretty much. Don't overdo it, but generally, it's allowed now.

ie. Swearing

Yeah I was wondering about his too.  It was #$%@#$& annoying to have to do < every time.

On one hand I was thinking FREEDOM! when we moved to the new board.

But on the other....

I think one reason CDC was so popular was that it was so inclusive.  To younger people and to those more sensitive of language for whatever reason. A "family friendly" site (mostly because it had a larger corporate agenda).  But its smart to keep this in mind If we really want to continue growing the site IMO

I came here from a smaller, private Canucks chat that was turning toxic and mean, with the admin and owner ambivalent. CDC was a breath of fresh air.  Even though on that other site CDC was ridiculed relentlessly as  being full of idiots and amateurs.

And its true that an all inclusive "family" site will attract bandwagoners and young people that just recently started watching hockey. But I've learned the art of... Just Scroll on Down. 

I like this compromise approach you stated above.  Because I'm sure there will be moments this season where there will be no other words to express something happening on the ice than a few choice ones.

Boring game, but most the main group wasn't playing so not a big red flag for me. 

- Hronek had a meh 1st period, but looked better in the next 2 

- Suter was super solid. Quiet game, but plays well all over.

- Wolanien (sorry bad spelling) looked pretty good and should be our extra Dman 

- Raty is starting to look better each time I see him. Not sure if he'll need 1 or 2 more years in Abby, but excited about his game. 

- Boeser is looking good out there. Didn't have much to work with last game, but most of our best chances came when he was out there. 

Ready for preseason to end. Looking forward to finally seeing what this group really is. 

1 hour ago, BlockerHigh said:

"benning bros'.....this sounds like some adolescent thing...

Again, you seem to very confident that you know all. Now you're smarter than Benning! Yet he was a GM of a multi billion dollar sports franchise....and I'm guessing you're not?

I really wonder why no NHL hasn't been smart enough to hire such a hockey savant!

Because of my opinion that Myers isn’t a good NHL player? You must not handle any sort of criticism well Lol.  

I guess I’ll have better luck getting hired if I called Benning a good GM and Myers is a top pairing defenseman.

34 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Ok ok, good to know. Just for clarification, can I use my favorite cuss? Is fuck wank bugger shitting arse headed hole going to risk getting banned?

No.

But shit piss fuck cunt cocksucker motherfucker tits fart turd and twat might

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1