[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Interesting debate on Myers. For those defending him, do you think he is a net positive player? 

As a bottom pairing guy, I'd argue yes. Better than replacement options in that role.

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Who's the other pairing?

Hronek I'm not so worried about minutes if he's healthy.

Who is the other two playing RHD, is what I'm worried about.

And after this season, then we can look at completely replacing Myers.

But as a third RHD, Myers with the correct left side partner with 12-15 minutes and simplifying his game should not be so bad.

At least until reinforcements are ready.

Ya you asked me who I wanted playing 20 minutes a game and id have those 4 before myers.

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

As a bottom pairing guy, I'd argue yes. Better than replacement options in that role.

For this season, yes. Myers as a third pairing defenseman is right where he should be.

If he keeps it simple and maintains a physical presence, using his size, while focusing on the defensive side of the game, he's a pretty good option. He really falters when he's asked to do too much. 

After this season, I'm good with the team moving on from him.......or sooner. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Odd. said:

If you seen him play last year, you know he was a huge part of the problem on the backend.

Cole averaged just under 20 minutes last year. Soucy will be playing about 17-20 minutes given the expanded role he’ll have here. 

There’s just no excuse to play Myers 22 minutes. Just because he played 22 minutes a game last season, doesn’t mean he actually can play those minutes and be good. He has had one of the worst underlying metrics for a defenseman in the NHL relative to others who play those exact same minutes. When depth guys like Brisebois and Wolanin effectively carried him like they did towards the tail end of last season, it shows just how cooked you are.

I wonder why we haven’t made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons now… perhaps it’s because of our defense. Getting Hronek/Soucy/Cole is a massive upgrade over any of the existing defenseman we had minus Hughes. 

I mean how could you sit there and justify giving Myers 20+ minutes a night and to play him beside Hughes (who were terrible together when they were tried as a pairing)? 

It’s like I’m talking to the Benning bros all over again. Just can’t see it until it’s damn too late. Like it’ll magically just fix itself.

You don't need to play 20+ minutes a night to be a capable defenseman.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

For this season, yes. Myers as a third pairing defenseman is right where he should be.

If he keeps it simple and maintains a physical presence, using his size, while focusing on the defensive side of the game, he's a pretty good option. He really falters when he's asked to do too much. 

After this season, I'm good with the team moving on from him.......or sooner. 

He also hasn't really been given a defensively reliable partner other than Edler.  I think he'll have a good season.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

He also hasn't really been given a defensively reliable partner other than Edler.  I think he'll have a good season.

Where is Edler these days? Edler was a defenseman whisperer. When he played with Gudbranson, they were a fearsome pairing. I remember a game against Boston when they crushed both Pastrnak and Marchand in the span of a few minutes.

• Cheers 1

As much as people say preseason is meaningless nothing is meaningless…These games have plenty of meaning and purpose… These games are preparation and preparation is huge in every aspect of life…

These games help coaches to see which linemates work together well and it gives the players a chance to develop chemistry and hone their skills and shake off the rust and get ready and focused for the real deal…

go Canucks go!!!

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dannydog said:

Just got in , and what!! Why are we icing Abby’s team once again? Or are we hoping for another slow start? Kinda confused as all other teams are working their 23\24 completed rosters.

We will be playing against Seattle's AHL for one. 

Looks like the Canucks played almost their full roster last game, won, and now are going back to filling it with prospects for tonight's game. Maybe because it's in Abby? I would think they'd want the current roster to start gelling and then get off to a hot start in the regular season. Oh well, isn't televised, so I won't be watching. 

What's all this chatter about maybe bringing Bear back? I don't get the hype. They need to find Quinn a D partner, not bring in another depth guy. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Never said he was on a good team. 

Ok then what are you arguing, that myers is a minute muncher on a bad team? Lol ok some accomplishment there. 
You also implied myers was better than cole because he played more minutes for our terrible blueline than cole did for tampas stacked blueline. 

myers is at best a 5 defenseman and probably 6 or 7 on a good blueline.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Looks like the Canucks played almost their full roster last game, won, and now are going back to filling it with prospects for tonight's game. Maybe because it's in Abby? I would think they'd want the current roster to start gelling and then get off to a hot start in the regular season. Oh well, isn't televised, so I won't be watching. 

What's all this chatter about maybe bringing Bear back? I don't get the hype. They need to find Quinn a D partner, not bring in another depth guy.

I think tonight will be most of the prospects last game. Give the main group (mostly) the night off. Give another look over the young guys and see who is taking those final spots. 

Then they can make final cuts and for the final preseason game they'll ice the main group for the most part I bet. 

Just now, Conscience said:

Ok then what are you arguing, that myers is a minute muncher on a bad team? Lol ok some accomplishment there. 
You also implied myers was better than cole because he played more minutes for our terrible blueline than cole did for tampas stacked blueline. 

myers is at best a 5 defenseman and probably 6 or 7 on a good blueline.

1. It was suggested that Myers isn't an NHL dman. 

2. I said he was and that he's looked worst then he is because he's had to play big minutes and take tough matchups, which he shouldn't be doing. 

3. You said that we were a bottom 5 team and bad defensively too (separate statements). 

4. I said that I wish we were a bottom 5 team as we finished 11th and 15th from the bottom. 

Myers would look much better if he wasn't being asked to play against McDavid and MacKinnons of the league. 

People underestimate how important matchups are for d-men. It's what Brisebois looked awesome for a few games and then cratered against better opposition at the end of last year.