[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I can't remember the last time we had our opening day line up pretty much nailed down this early. Usually, we still have 10 guys on the bubble in camp 2 games out.

I like this better, give the team more time to gel, especially with one at home then 5 on the road to start. 

I love it, the boys should be more than ready to go for the opener. Only part that scares me a bit is the increased odds of one of our stars going down with injury during pre season 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Going to this game! Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer games in Abbotsford over the hustle and bustle of Vancouver.

never been to the Abby rink. How good is the center ice scoreboard?

I wonder if it would be a viable option for the Canucks to broadcast their games on the big screen in Abby (when the Abby team isn't using the rink) . parking and concessions would add up quickly. 

Make the tickets family friendly prices. 

Just a thought. 

For that matter, they could show away games on the brand new jumbo-tron @ Rogers for discounted rates too. 

17 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I wonder if it would be a viable option for the Canucks to broadcast their games on the big screen in Abby (when the Abby team isn't using the rink) . parking and concessions would add up quickly. 

Just a thought. 

For that matter, they could show away games on the brand new jumbo-tron @ Rogers for discounted rates too. 

I've been to probably about 10 games, but honestly, I can't recall. I don't spend much time focusing on it. I could see it being a fun idea for playoff games, but I'm not sure they'd make too much just off regular season games.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

Just a thought. 

I went to a playoff game last season and to be honest I couldn't even tell you about the center ice scoreboard. 

The view from the seats is so good that at no point did I feel compelled to look up at the big screen. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Juulsen experiment needs to die. He is not an NHL defenseman. 

They may want to keep him around until they are absolutely sure McWard is ready to play a season

in the NHL.  It's putting a lot on a young player to jump into the NHL and play on the 1st D pairing.

Here's an interesting article on McWard...

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-mcward-performing-well-2023-preseason/

I also think that Bear is still in the running and may be signed after Christmas if there's

still an issue on the 1st pairing.  After all, Tocc keeps saying, the 'defence is by

committee,' so that may be how it goes for this season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

They may want to keep him around until they are absolutely sure McWard is ready to play a season

in the NHL.  It's putting a lot on a young player to jump into the NHL and play on the 1st D pairing.

Here's an interesting article on McWard...

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-mcward-performing-well-2023-preseason/

I also think that Bear is still in the running and may be signed after Christmas if there's

still an issue on the 1st pairing.  After all, Tocc keeps saying, the 'defence is by

committee,' so that may be how it goes for this season.

Maybe so, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with McWard as the main partner than Juulsen. IMO Juulsen is not even a top paring guy at the AHL level. Makes so much more sense to go Hughes-Soucy and then rotate in Cole and Hronek every now and then so as to not overload Soucy. Have Wolanin as our 3LD with Myers.

9 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Maybe so, but I'd be a lot more comfortable with McWard as the main partner than Juulsen. IMO Juulsen is not even a top paring guy at the AHL level. Makes so much more sense to go Hughes-Soucy and then rotate in Cole and Hronek every now and then so as to not overload Soucy. Have Wolanin as our 3LD with Myers.

Much rather would like to see Hirose instead of Wolanin

8 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

Much rather would like to see Hirose instead of Wolanin

He's already in Abby and Wolanin requires waivers, so I think Wolanin is a lot more likely. I expect to see Hirose if we have any LD injuries.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Going to this game! Maybe I'm crazy, but I prefer games in Abbotsford over the hustle and bustle of Vancouver.

Just have them go to Abbotsford, that's where the Canucks play after all thanks to management and ownership being dumb enough to give their AHL franchise the same name as their NHL franchise 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I tend to agree. I prefer to give someone a chance who has more upside. If McWard is not right for Hughes I would rather see someone playing his offside and McWard in the third pairing

You're right, however, IMO, It aint ever going to be easy to get the exact right partner for Hughes. Don't yah just hate our cap situation? Gee; Wonder how JB 🤒 

is doing these days? Still shopping in a Safeway somewhere I reckon.

31 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Just have them go to Abbotsford, that's where the Canucks play after all thanks to management and ownership being dumb enough to give their AHL franchise the same name as their NHL franchise 

Yeah, I'm still not over this either. Like is there not a shred of creativity in the brain-trust here? 
Abby Orca's, Abby Lumberjacks ... hell even Abby Jr. Canucks would be better. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ㄣLimaClawZuluㄣ said:

Yeah, I'm still not over this either. Like is there not a shred of creativity in the brain-trust here? 

Too true. They could have differentiated the names a little 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, ㄣLimaClawZuluㄣ said:

They aren't the only NHL team to utilize the same name for their affiliate but it's stupid that the others do as well. I really liked Abbotsford Aviators, even Abbotsford Millionaires would have been better. Aeros could have worked too. 

They could have gone with so many different names and themes, but no, they had to go with Abbotsford Canucks.

• Cheers 2