[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks Vs. Seattle Kraken, Abbotsford Centre, October 4, 2023 @ 7PM PST, Preseason Game #5

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

3 hours ago, SISMIM said:

Happy to see the Canucks are continuing to experiment with Hughes-McWard, despite some of the local media’s negative comments last game:

McWard deserves a longer look, even after getting into some penalty trouble last game, and getting caught chasing on some extended shifts.

The kid still owns the best overall 5v5 underlying numbers (and second best, to Hronek, when it comes to relative rates) on the Canucks defence to-date for this preseason. 

And even that last game, where some media members were looking to cancel the McWard experiment, he still finished a +2 (and the Canucks won the game).

Kinda funny to see how quickly those media guys turned against the kid, and now how quickly they’re seemingly reversing their comments, after seeing the team stick with Hughes-McWard. 

I’m not saying McWard is “the answer.” But I’m definitely in favour of continuing to give him a look with Hughes this preseason. The overall results (over three games) have been far more positive than negative. 

Not sure why some in the media were so quick to jump on the kid. I guess negativity sells? Hopefully McWard proves them wrong with a very strong performance in his next game.

It's Vancouver media. They'll always find something to b*tch about

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SISMIM said:

Happy to see the Canucks are continuing to experiment with Hughes-McWard, despite some of the local media’s negative comments last game:

McWard deserves a longer look, even after getting into some penalty trouble last game, and getting caught chasing on some extended shifts.

The kid still owns the best overall 5v5 underlying numbers (and second best, to Hronek, when it comes to relative rates) on the Canucks defence to-date for this preseason. 

And even that last game, where some media members were looking to cancel the McWard experiment, he still finished a +2 (and the Canucks won the game).

Kinda funny to see how quickly those media guys turned against the kid, and now how quickly they’re seemingly reversing their comments, after seeing the team stick with Hughes-McWard. 

I’m not saying McWard is “the answer.” But I’m definitely in favour of continuing to give him a look with Hughes this preseason. The overall results (over three games) have been far more positive than negative. 

Not sure why some in the media were so quick to jump on the kid. I guess negativity sells? Hopefully McWard proves them wrong with a very strong performance in his next game.

The media and some fans are on him because of the 3 penalties he took. I'm definitely liking McWard and want to see more with Hughes. Let's see what happens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

The media and some fans are on him because of the 3 penalties he took. I'm definitely liking McWard and want to see more with Hughes. Let's see what happens

I do nto care for those penalties.  It is not even a penalty on two of those infraction and one is probably a penalty and the ref like to pick someone who is young and looking good and wants to drag them down.  That's a league mandate, they don't want Vancouver to be good.

22 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Juulsen is taller, heavier, and has four years of added man strength on McWard.

Juulsen weighs in at 193lb and McWard 205lbs official (not reality) , but Juulsen is the heavier playing partner and McWard is a little more mobile with more offensive upside IMO

Just need one them to take the bull by the horns and take this golden opportunity

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

i like mcward and he does a habit of scoring. I like hirose too though. 

For sure, really thought Hirose was a good match with Myers last year with the higher Hockey IQ, regardless of his smallish stature.

I hope he is the first call up when needed as long as he's in shape and ready to go

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 6:45 PM, Jester13 said:

Hoping to see Juulsen with Hughes to see if they can continue what they were building together last season. I know we're all hyped for McWard, but if Juulsen can find his game with Hughes, that means we have a big and mobile d partner for Hughes rather than a small partner. 

Unfortunately theres nothing mobile about juulsen

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And Juulsson isn’t really much bigger than the far more mobile, smarter, and more skilled McWard. Both are right around 200 pounds. 

Anyone who watched Abby last year knows Jules plays well above his weight class.  He crushed guys every game

• Cheers 2